I got a $100 off 360 deal!

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Today I've finally joined the "next-gen" club. WHOOHOO!!! :D I didn't think it would happen this holiday season. I was going to wait for a price drop and/or Halo3, but evidently my dad thought I was a good boy this year and handed me some cash a little early. On Saturday I started looking for some deals at Wal-Mart. I must had missed their $50 gift card deal last weekend. Though I wasn't too hip on the Moto GP pack-in anyway. In my searching online I came across CheapAssGamer.com site and they had a post detailing a Toys R Us deal that started today where you get a $100 gift card with purchase of the Xbox 360 Premium bundle. Making it $300 after the promotion. Needless to say I jumped on that deal. I even passed up a Wii in order to get it this morning. LOL But that's another story altogether. Check out CheapAssGamer.com for my experience at TRU.

Anyway, it didn't come with a game like Wal-Mart and Best Buy(Most Wanted or GRAW), but I was able to use the gift card to buy Gears of War and Viva Pinata. ;) I added an extra controller and a Play and Charge kit. The kids don't know I got the deal and I'm keeping it that way till Christmas morning. I'm going to wrap it up and put it under the tree. I've waited over a year for one, what's an extra week to see the kids eyes light up? :) The one I end up getting was manufactured in July. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it. I'll be getting the extended warranty from Microsoft to be on the safe side.

I don't have broadband yet, but I do have a GamerTag reserved: AzBat360. Can't wait to "Jump In" and play but it'll have to wait. Keep an eye out for me online since I'll going to try to steal some broadband from my dad to check out the latest stuff. Man, oh man it's going to be cool this Christmas! ;)

Tommy McClain

Reactions: Geo
Today I've finally joined the "next-gen" club. WHOOHOO!!! :D I didn't think it would happen this holiday season. I was going to wait for a price drop and/or Halo3, but evidently my dad thought I was a good boy this year and handed me some cash a little early. On Saturday I started looking for some deals at Wal-Mart. I must had missed their $50 gift card deal last weekend. Though I wasn't too hip on the Moto GP pack-in anyway. In my searching online I came across CheapAssGamer.com site and they had a post detailing a Toys R Us deal that started today where you get a $100 gift card with purchase of the Xbox 360 Premium bundle. Making it $300 after the promotion. Needless to say I jumped on that deal. I even passed up a Wii in order to get it this morning. LOL But that's another story altogether. Check out CheapAssGamer.com for my experience at TRU.

Anyway, it didn't come with a game like Wal-Mart and Best Buy(Most Wanted or GRAW), but I was able to use the gift card to buy Gears of War and Viva Pinata. ;) I added an extra controller and a Play and Charge kit. The kids don't know I got the deal and I'm keeping it that way till Christmas morning. I'm going to wrap it up and put it under the tree. I've waited over a year for one, what's an extra week to see the kids eyes light up? :) The one I end up getting was manufactured in July. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it. I'll be getting the extended warranty from Microsoft to be on the safe side.

I don't have broadband yet, but I do have a GamerTag reserved: AzBat360. Can't wait to "Jump In" and play but it'll have to wait. Keep an eye out for me online since I'll going to try to steal some broadband from my dad to check out the latest stuff. Man, oh man it's going to be cool this Christmas! ;)

Tommy McClain

welcome! i actually traded a PC i had $1500 invested in for a 360 premium, 4 games, two wireless controllers, play n charge kit, etc....the works, and am very glad i did

especially if you have a HDTV to hook it to, it will be very fun and enjoyable

edit your forum profile to include your xbox live gamertag and hit me up online when you get hooked up !:LOL:

I love it. I absolutely love it. What a brilliant demonstration of how completely wonderful these rebates or gift-card tie-ins really are.

You weren't planning on buying a 360, because it was too expensive. If anything, you were planning on buying a Wii.

But you got a little bit of money from your dad, and then the $100 gift card convinced you to spend that cash on a 360 (as opposed to anything else, and specifically opposed to the Wii).

Not only did you buy a full-priced 360, you then spent the $100 gift card on two games, and then spent even more money buying an extra controller and a recharge kit.

Brilliant. A system that was too expensive for you to purchase, suddenly became a good enough deal for you to spend even more money (total) at the end.

Its amazing what you can do with marketing to sell systems, software and excessories.. as long as you have inventory.

Not only did you buy a full-priced 360, you then spent the $100 gift card on two games, and then spent even more money buying an extra controller and a recharge kit.

Brilliant. A system that was too expensive for you to purchase, suddenly became a good enough deal for you to spend even more money (total) at the end.

Well not entirely true since you dont REALLY know if he was planning on spending $580 ($400 premium + 2 games + controller + play n charge) and now only spent $480($400 premium + 2 games + controller + play n charge - $100).

Under 499 for all that is still pretty compelling...

Last edited by a moderator:
The system is relatively redundant without some games, so I'd assume that factoring the pusrchase of a couple would be relatively normal.

Tommy, you've picked up of good titles there (IMO), although I wouldn't be surprised if you end up pissing the kids off playing Pinata more than you do Gears! ;)

I love it. I absolutely love it. What a brilliant demonstration of how completely wonderful these rebates or gift-card tie-ins really are.

You weren't planning on buying a 360, because it was too expensive. If anything, you were planning on buying a Wii.

But you got a little bit of money from your dad, and then the $100 gift card convinced you to spend that cash on a 360 (as opposed to anything else, and specifically opposed to the Wii).

Its amazing what you can do with marketing to sell systems, software and excessories.. as long as you have inventory.

Hey you aren't honestly surprised are you? Prior to today did you believe that companies gave out rebates without their best interest in mind? Take a marketing class.

BTW, I believe that these rebates are basically MS condoned/supported. Microcenter ran a similar deal, and now others are as well. I would guess that Microcenter can't afford to sell the volume of units that they did at 100 off (they were selling for more than half a month, and were stocked accordingly). Microcenter simply isn't that big. Look at what amazon did. They did a $200 off deal, but stocked only a few units. And they are a much larger orginization. The fact that Microcenter did it, and then Toys R US (and I believe there is a 3rd retailer doing the same) makes me wonder if MS isn't issuing an unofficial price cut for the holiday season. I bet an official MSRP reduction will come in the spring.

Hey you aren't honestly surprised are you? Prior to today did you believe that companies gave out rebates without their best interest in mind? Take a marketing class.

Did I say I was surprised? No, I said it was a wonderful illustration of their usefulness. Take a chill pill and stop being an ass.

BTW, I believe that these rebates are basically MS condoned/supported.

There's quite a difference between MS condoned and MS supported. Do you have any evidence that MS is actually funding these rebates themselves?

I bet an official MSRP reduction will come in the spring.

Nearly everybody has been betting on a MSRP reduction on the 360 in spring, regardless of any bundles/rebates/etc that have occured this holiday season.

Did I say I was surprised? No, I said it was a wonderful illustration of their usefulness. Take a chill pill and stop being an ass.

There's quite a difference between MS condoned and MS supported. Do you have any evidence that MS is actually funding these rebates themselves?

Nearly everybody has been betting on a MSRP reduction on the 360 in spring, regardless of any bundles/rebates/etc that have occured this holiday season.

The difference between condoned and supported that you are hinting at is obvious to all of us, and I'm sure you can figure out what I was trying to get at. And who is betting on a 360 price drop in the spring? Lets see your sources, because it is news to me.

ps: reported

FYI:

"But you got a little bit of money from your dad, and then the $100 gift card convinced you to spend that cash on a 360 (as opposed to anything else, and specifically opposed to the Wii).

Brilliant. A system that was too expensive for you to purchase, suddenly became a good enough deal for you to spend even more money (total) at the end."

Isn't good posting behavior. Its his money, and he seems to be very happy. And $300 for a $400 system IS a good deal, no matter how you look at it. Here's some perspective: He wanted an extra controller and some games, but couldn't afford it with the base system already costing $400. Now that it is $100 cheaper he feels he can afford it, and doesn't want to pass up on the 25% reduction in price.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome! i actually traded a PC i had $1500 invested in for a 360 premium, 4 games, two wireless controllers, play n charge kit, etc....the works, and am very glad i did

especially if you have a HDTV to hook it to, it will be very fun and enjoyable

edit your forum profile to include your xbox live gamertag and hit me up online when you get hooked up !:LOL:

Last year I spent my income tax refund on a HDTV. Got a Sanyo 32" 1080i CRT(4:3). I didn't want to get a 360 till I had a proper TV to play it on and that one was best one I could afford at that time. I'm glad I did. The 360 should look much better than my old busted SDTV. :D

Thanks for reminding me about the GameTag setting in my profile. It's been updated. You can be sure that I'll be hitting you and everybody else here on Beyond3D for friend requests and game invites!

Tommy McClain

Actually, I had no intentions whatsoever of getting a Wii. Didn't even know that TRU was getting them in Sunday. I wanted the 360 so bad that I didn't even give a second thought to even buying it just to sell. I surely could have, but I didn't. There were too many people behind me that wanted one really bad for their kids and I wasn't going to ruin their Christmas just for some monetary gain. Now had I been in a PS3 line instead, I'm not sure I would have been as nice. Hehe ;)

I had to buy games with it anyway. So I already had reserved myself to buying 2 games and those 2 games specificly. The cost of the system was free to me even before the $100 rebate since the cash was a gift from my dad. So in the end only $70 came out of my pocket. Before the gift I was willing to spend $300 on a 360 premium system. Provided I had the money to spend of course. I usually get that disposable income with either my Christmas bonus or income tax refund. I had thought I wouldn't get the 360 premium at $300 till an official price drop some time after I received my tax income refund. Needless to say I was really surprised to not only get the gift, but also get such a great deal.

Tommy McClain

Well not entirely true since you dont REALLY know if he was planning on spending $580 ($400 premium + 2 games + controller + play n charge) and now only spent $480($400 premium + 2 games + controller + play n charge - $100).

Under 499 for all that is still pretty compelling...

Exactly. I was planning on spending $400 for the system and 2 games before the gift, but like I said provided I had the money.

Tommy McClain

The system is relatively redundant without some games, so I'd assume that factoring the pusrchase of a couple would be relatively normal.

Tommy, you've picked up of good titles there (IMO), although I wouldn't be surprised if you end up pissing the kids off playing Pinata more than you do Gears! ;)

LOL, I've been talking more about Viva Pinata to my firends and family than any other 360 game. Even been watching the cartoons. The premise sounds cool, but the graphics look great too. Something that I think that a lot of people who aren't FPS players would enjoy playing.

Tommy McClain

Last year I spent my income tax refund on a HDTV. Got a Sanyo 32" 1080i CRT(4:3). I didn't want to get a 360 till I had a proper TV to play it on and that one was best one I could afford at that time. I'm glad I did. The 360 should look much better than my old busted SDTV. :D

Thanks for reminding me about the GameTag setting in my profile. It's been updated. You can be sure that I'll be hitting you and everybody else here on Beyond3D for friend requests and game invites!

Tommy McClain

oh for sure....having the HDTV makes a big difference, i took my 360 to my brother in laws place once, hooked it to his standard 27" SDTV, and although it looks better than his PS2 of course, it just was totally not the same as playing on a widescreen HDTV for sure

the other thing i can recommend is a decent little surround system, one of those $300-$400 Sony Home Theater in a Box sets you can get at Walmart do great and will immerse you in the games and movies to a much higher degree, if you dont have that already that is..:LOL:

as of right now i cant get online....., Comcrack is still trying to figure out how to take my existing service and transfer it to the house 100 yards away where i moved last weekend....been 9 days now and they just today sent out the first of three guys that have to make it happen, so start to finish i will have been without service for at least 10 days, and i only moved 100 yards away.......the friggin pole tht brings the main feeder line off the highway to this property is right smack in the middle of the filed, so amazing how ridiculously hard they can make the simplest thing...

Yea im looking into one of these deals myself, it really makes the xbox 360 look a whole lot more attractive.

I've been waiting to go nextgen for a while now, but I think GoW and the bundle deals have pushed me over the hump finally.

I was told the $50 Walmart gift card which I mentioned last week was not being funded by MS. Of course it could be a high level deal that the person I talked to would be unaware of, but when I asked he was very clear that it was Walmart, not Microsoft, sponsoring the gift card. Seeing as they pay $380 for the premium console, that is more like a $30 gift card. Considering they are very likely to buy 1-3 games, an extra controller, maybe Xbox Live, and so forth, it could be a nice profit for Walmart.

I've been wondering if MS was funding these behind the scenes, but haven't come to a definite conclusion. On the "probably not" side you'd have to wonder why they'd pick these particular retailers and no others. Because if they'd rolled out the welcome wagon on this you'd think every retailer would have jumped on it. And certainly the big retailers (and these are NOT particularly big retailers compared to, say, Best Buy and Walmart) would be fairly annoyed to be cut out of such an offering, and thus you'd think Microsoft would not want to piss them off.

Unless its a co-funding thing? Maybe MS offer is "we'll fund 1/2 if you fund 1/2" and thus its up to each retailer to decide if Xbox is enough of a draw to be worthwhile to get bodies in the store in the hopes they'll buy other stuff?

The thing is, if this is retailer-only, then $100 has got to be "loss leader" territory, doesn't it? The retailer's mark up probably is less than $100.

These things remind of 'dealer incentives' that auto makers provide to dealerships. The reason why we may be seeing different levels of generosity from different retailers is that it sometimes depends ont he commitment from the retailer to MS on the type of deal they get, i.e. the more units they purchase up front the more in incentives MS gives them.

I just think its too coincidental that the vast majority are of the "$50" variety. Microcenter really puts a wrinkle in that theory but maybe they are combining their MS discount with, as geo said, a loss-leader amount of $50 of their own cash...

Back