I Can Hazwell?

watching videos are also much better on a tablet. There's no contest here.

I disagree with this. I can't envisage any scenario where I would prefer to watch a video while holding the screen as opposed to resting the screen on a flat surface in front of me or on my knee where no surface is available (in the absense of a fixed screen of course which is superior to both).

As for web browsing, if a seperate keyboard and mouse is available then I'd rate it above a touch interface by far. If no mouse is available then the decider would have to be how much text I need to write. For browsing I'd go with the tablet but for answering posts on a forum I'd go with the laptop.

I disagree with this. I can't envisage any scenario where I would prefer to watch a video while holding the screen as opposed to resting the screen on a flat surface in front of me or on my knee where no surface is available (in the absense of a fixed screen of course which is superior to both).

I mean compared to a notebook computer (as this is about tablet vs PC, not tablet vs TV, and no, I still don't see any good "HTPC" solution yet). A large screen is obviously better, but it's not mobile.

:oops: Why?

Just live and enjoy the natural surroundings. I bet they are much more beautiful ;)

I tried to browse and post something here using a tablet and it hurt my eyes, it was so painful... not to mention that I don't have the nerves to point with my fingers on the tiny links... And the virtual keyboard which takes a huge portion of the display while typing. So no, thanks ;)

don't have any problem with my surface pro. You should try one ;-)

You should try one

I should but I will never. I am a very different person from all of you and I don't need it. Of course, you are free to do whatever you like if you think that it is right

If it depended on me, that industry would die immediately ;)

Don't forget that in the past there were no such devices and people lived their lives perfectly fine. So I don't see what's their problem now.
Of course, in the 50s people were the happiest and now people are not happy and their happiness is in constant decline... Worst ever

Edit:

2qumz68.jpg

http://www.redquasar.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=12622&extra=&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading e-books and watching videos are also much better on a tablet. There's no contest here. Also, it's not just "on the move." I like to do these thing anywhere in my house, not just in front of my desktop computers.

Ugh kill me if I have to read ebooks on an LCD. Give me e-ink and I will be happy though.

Here's a page with some technical information about the integrated voltage regulator of haswell, which reportedly will be common amongst all models in that series, and not just mobile chips. Page is chinese, so run it through your favorite online translator for your favorite gobbledymuck translation, but slides are in english, which should give all information necessary...

http://www.expreview.com/25414.html

Some quick facts include ~400A current handling capacity, ~30x smaller than traditional VRM setup, 0.002V ripple, 0.001V temperature variablity, and so on. Pretty astounding performance really.

I should but I will never. I am a very different person from all of you and I don't need it. Of course, you are free to do whatever you like if you think that it is right

If it depended on me, that industry would die immediately ;)

Don't forget that in the past there were no such devices and people lived their lives perfectly fine. So I don't see what's their problem now.
Of course, in the 50s people were the happiest and now people are not happy and their happiness is in constant decline... Worst ever

What did I tell you about splurging innuendo across this forum on each possible occasion. There will be no other warning, if you keep propagating this cruddy noise in the technical parts of this site you will be on your way.

What did I tell you about splurging innuendo across this forum on each possible occasion. There will be no other warning, if you keep propagating this cruddy noise in the technical parts of this site you will be on your way.

Sorry, I was provoked to answer. Hope the same applies to the person above me with his propagation ;)

Google translation was a bit rough, but those are indeed some stellar results. The TDP of the CPU now gets "penalized" for keeping the VRM underneath the same package, or in other words, the Haswell CPU's likely have even less thermal output than we can specifically identify from the "basic" TDP calculation for the package.

Makes me anxious to see something like Silvermont with this tech...

Not sure what C3 would do with 8 cores, or how many cores it even utilizes right now to be frank. It's not as if a game simply discovers new tasks to hand off to more cores once they're installed in the system. You'd have to design the content also, hand in hand with the game engine to take advantage of such computing resources.
On the engine side Crysis 3 would scale to 8 and 16 core CPUs just fine. There is just not enough work to be done to saturate those in the levels. But you could easily create a game with CryEngine 3.5 that would do.

That's a research project, not necessarily what's going in Haswell.
Ah, I got the impression from the page which mentioned the chinese source link that the slides described the tech going into haswell, but you must be right, since some of those slides clearly illustrate a disparate IC with VRMs, so not integrated on the CPU die...

My off brand Archos G9 has a built in kickstand. :) One of the few things they did right. It's also 4:3 and that's why I bought it.

So, is there any news on when Haswell's coming out? I tried looking and couldn't find anything(I'm also heavily medicated at the moment so forgive me if I missed anything).

I believe the word is june (which starts on saturday, as we all know), but when exactly I'm not sure. Considering rumors say that intel won't update their desktop CPU line next year and stick with haswell until next "tick", I think it's probably about time to update my rig now after 4+ years. I'll probably do it when next-gen video cards launch later this year (if indeed it happens this year; touch wood, hurm...)

I believe the word is june (which starts on saturday, as we all know), but when exactly I'm not sure. Considering rumors say that intel won't update their desktop CPU line next year and stick with haswell until next "tick", I think it's probably about time to update my rig now after 4+ years. I'll probably do it when next-gen video cards launch later this year (if indeed it happens this year; touch wood, hurm...)

Yup, you can go either for something from AMD if they release anything later this year or the Intel versions without die space wasted for iGPU :LOL:

Haswell-EX, Ivy Bridge-EX, or Steamroller... I don't know what exactly

lol if I want no iGPU Intel will have a brand new, er, Ivy Bridge-E to sell you.

Anything EX is rather competing with Ultrasparc, POWER7, itanium (but probably cheaper) you should get that if you really need 80 threads in a box or about 1TB of ram. They don't run anywhere near 4GHz so not so ideal for gaming. But maybe you can run raytraced quake 3 at 1280x720.

Thanks folks.

I recently upgraded my PC with a better CPU, but I'm still limited by ol' Socket 775...

Did you manage to find an affordable C2Q? Every now and then I look for one to replace my old C2D without changing everything, but they tend to be ridiculously expensive.

Back