HYPOTHETICAL: R420 two months earlier than nV40?

Well, I only mentioned Rotation as an example...You can have VPU recover as another if you like, something implemented a bit earlier on...In any case, I consider the update(s) I hinted about important enough in order to justify the launch of a new product.

Striker said:
Well, I only mentioned Rotation as an example...You can have VPU recover as another if you like, something implemented a bit earlier on...In any case, I consider the update(s) I hinted about important enough in order to justify the launch of a new product.

I dont like VPU recover :p

Use smartshaders as an example, I like those :D

The rotation tab has been availabile in ATI's drivers since somewhere in the development of the Rage II/Pro series. It has always been a registry option to turn it on.

A friend of mine has uses a 1600x1200 panel rotated 90 degrees to 1200x1600 (nicer for editing code or so he says) and until Catalyst 4.3 some operations in rotated modes were reaaaally slow (for some reason most of them were used by M$ programs, Project, Word, Excel...) but are as fast as without rotation now with "official" support. This is with a Radeon 9600.

jpaana said:
A friend of mine has uses a 1600x1200 panel rotated 90 degrees to 1200x1600 (nicer for editing code or so he says) and until Catalyst 4.3 some operations in rotated modes were reaaaally slow (for some reason most of them were used by M$ programs, Project, Word, Excel...) but are as fast as without rotation now with "official" support. This is with a Radeon 9600.
There were some performance enhancements made to the rotation code for Cat 4.3.

OpenGL guy said:
jpaana said:
There were some performance enhancements made to the rotation code for Cat 4.3.

Glad to hear that - now can we get the same on linux? :)

DaveBaumann said:
I think people are all a little confused about this rotation feature - IIRC it has always been there but previously it only appear if your display device reported back that it had rotation features. Becuase most peoples monitors don't, it never appeared - likewise reviewers would sit there and see the rotation panel in NVIDIA's drivers and not in ATI's and report that ATI lacked rotation features. I think ATI have just turned off the dependancy on a monitor actually supporting rotation features to the drivers displauing the panel so these review issues wouldn't emerge each time, which is a bit silly seeing as I think that dependancy makes some sense.

Strange, I have a DVI flat panel and I can rotate it 90/180 degrees in either direction in the 4.3s. But have not seen it in previous driver sets (I think a very early Cat had it though).

Re: R420 showing up before NV40.

There's an article on GameSpy about recording voice for Doom 3. I'd imagine this places D3 at least a month, and probably closer to two months away. So would nV delay NV40 to bundle D3, would they be willing to settle for a voucher, or are we in no danger of NV40 showing up before QuakeCon? :)

Pete said:

There's an article on GameSpy about recording voice for Doom 3. I'd imagine this places D3 at least a month, and probably closer to two months away. So would nV delay NV40 to bundle D3, would they be willing to settle for a voucher, or are we in no danger of NV40 showing up before QuakeCon? :)

Didn't we see something from JC recently where he mentioned several months? IIRC that sounded like late fall as earliest release date... :?:

T2k said:
Pete said:

Didn't we see something from JC recently where he mentioned several months? IIRC that sounded like late fall as earliest release date... :?:

I seem to remember reading that was inaccurate? Could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it was confirmed the magazine just made that up or got their wires crossed.

DaveBaumann said:
...likewise reviewers would sit there and see the rotation panel in NVIDIA's drivers and not in ATI's and report that ATI lacked rotation features...

Perhaps they should do the same for the Maxx control panel & score a one-up... Too bad the graphic is for Rage128... Come to think of it, I didn't think the Radeon series drivers supported Rage ASIC... Perhaps it's just a place-holder, then...;)

Back