HYPOTHETICAL: R420 two months earlier than nV40?

P.S. I'm not giving NV40 launch day away as E3, but usually they do launch around a timeframe like E3 or Cebit or Comdex or something.

ben6 said:
P.S. I'm not giving NV40 launch day away as E3, but usually they do launch around a timeframe like E3 or Cebit or Comdex or something.

I think you're either guessing or you're being mis-informed by nVidia, that's way too early. :p

digitalwanderer said:
ben6 said:

I think you're either guessing or you're being mis-informed by nVidia, that's way too early. :p

Eh I ain't playing that game :p . And manufacturers don't generally at the end of February/beginning of March change a launch/release till 3-6 months down the line.

Going on past experience the only thing assured is that NVIDIA will not compromise on clockspeed and memory bandwidth. Whether this will be enough to beat ATI is another story as it did not help NVIDIA in this generation of cards.

It looks like NVIDIA has played the 'fabrication' issue line once too often (or perhaps NVIDIA's fans have) and this time it looks like it was time to go back to the drawing board. However if anyone thinks that 18 months (or less) is enough time to design a new GPU from virtually the ground up then they are in for a shock.

I personally am willing to bet more of the same designwise from both NVIDIA and ATI.

I do not have any insider information for my feelings apart from my guts so I hope no one takes my gut instincts as to be set in stone...

As always time will tell but NVIDIA is a hugely aggresive company (perhaps too aggressive in certain departments) and they could surprise a few people when their next card is released. I just expect it to be late that is all.

Edit: typos

ben6 said:
Eh I ain't playing that game :p . And manufacturers don't generally at the end of February/beginning of March change a launch/release till 3-6 months down the line.

Nuts! Please don't blame a guy for trying. ;) :LOL:

Tahir said:
Going on past experience the only thing assured is that NVIDIA will not compromise on clockspeed and memory bandwidth. Whether this will be enough to beat ATI is another story as it did not help NVIDIA in this generation of cards.

I would say that NV30 compromised memory bandwidth in a major way. Memory clockspeed however, was a different matter which I agree about. NVIDIA always(?) has higher core and memory clocks than ATI does.

kemosabe said:
Here's a bit more kerosene for your flame, dig. :LOL:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1550266,00.asp

ROFLMFAO~~~~

Sounds like someone from nVidia has been reading these boards and decided it was time to start pushing FUD about the date! :LOL:

BTW-The info is probably close to right, they just got the company names switched wrong way 'round. ;)

ExtremeTech said:
A source close to Nvidia Corp. said the company would launch its next-generation graphics processor, believed to be the NV40, on April 13 in San Francisco.

Officials at Nvidia, Santa Clara, Calif., declined to comment.

The launch is expected to tip off the next round of competing graphics chips, when the NV40 will go head to head with the R420 from ATI Technologies Inc. The R420 is also expected within the next two months, industry sources said.

Well didn't Jen-Hsun Huang say that the announcement of NV4x in "a couple of short months" and that these are "likely to be correct"? So the april launch doesn't seem so out of the timetable.

Actually IIRC he said in February at NVIDIA's CC for the quarter "April" for their next generation. So that does fit in with what my third party source said and what ET said.

Hanners said:
kemosabe said:

The million dollar question is - Would that date be a paper launch, previews with working hardware, or cards available in the shops?

I know which option I'd guess at...
I'm wondering if they launch at the same time as Doom 3, meaning that:

A. bundle deal
B. D3 might be available for a week or so with NV40s before it was available alone
C. maybe three weeks to a month before retail availability

That wouldn't surprise me.

The Baron said:
Hanners said:
kemosabe said:

The million dollar question is - Would that date be a paper launch, previews with working hardware, or cards available in the shops?

I know which option I'd guess at...
I'm wondering if they launch at the same time as Doom 3, meaning that:

A. bundle deal
B. D3 might be available for a week or so with NV40s before it was available alone
C. maybe three weeks to a month before retail availability

That wouldn't surprise me.

There is new content on the DoomIII site . . . and links to stores offering preorders.

Being a Catalyst beta tester, I have noticed that ATI is steadily upgrading its software to make it more competitive. You all must have noticed the new Rotation feature, or the minor aesthetic improvements that have existed in 4.2+ drivers (such as new backgrounds in installations and all).

Now, what has been done so far may seem rather trivial, however I know that ATI is preparing itself for some major updates in that matter...updates of some kind. I thus expect R420 to coincide more or less with the release of those updates...

May timeline.

Striker said:
Being a Catalyst beta tester, I have noticed that ATI is steadily upgrading its software to make it more competitive. You all must have noticed the new Rotation feature, or the minor aesthetic improvements that have existed in 4.2+ drivers (such as new backgrounds in installations and all).

Well as far as I can tell its basically the same/the same as the rotation tool thats been in the drivers for ages but could only be enabled using something like rage3dtweak or going into the registry ;)

Do I hear further implication of app specific graphics settings coming with the R420 :p

I think people are all a little confused about this rotation feature - IIRC it has always been there but previously it only appear if your display device reported back that it had rotation features. Becuase most peoples monitors don't, it never appeared - likewise reviewers would sit there and see the rotation panel in NVIDIA's drivers and not in ATI's and report that ATI lacked rotation features. I think ATI have just turned off the dependancy on a monitor actually supporting rotation features to the drivers displauing the panel so these review issues wouldn't emerge each time, which is a bit silly seeing as I think that dependancy makes some sense.

Back