How to get Windows to recognize Dual-core

RussSchultz said:
Probably race conditions between two threads that didn't begin failing until there were two processors executing the separate threads.

Wouldn't a hyperthreading capable processor also cause these problems? I'm just wondering why these problems have only just started to surface with the dual cores (both AMD and Intel are affected), I've never seen anyone report problems on a dual cpu system or one with hyperthreading.

Broken Hope said:
Wouldn't a hyperthreading capable processor also cause these problems? I'm just wondering why these problems have only just started to surface with the dual cores (both AMD and Intel are affected), I've never seen anyone report problems on a dual cpu system or one with hyperthreading.
Well, a hyperthreading processor could in principle also cause the same problems, but since it'll still have different execution characteristics than a dual-core processor, fixing the problems on a hyperthreading processor wouldn't fix them ona dual-core processor.

That said, I don't know why people wouldn't have seen these issues. It may just be that Intel spent a long time getting Hyperthreading to the mainstream market, and so the problems were debugged by the time normal users got ahold of hyperthreading processors. Either that, or Intel spent a lot of time working on thread execution times with their hyperthreaded processors.

Back