How to check screen border size on LCD using 360 component cable?

Guden Oden

Legend
I've heard some LCD TVs (monitors?) are tuned to upscale the screen slightly when using component, thus losing some of the screen information, similar to how TV overscanning works. This is of course unneccessary and an Evil Thing, but probably not much I as a user can do anything about.

Still, I'd like to know if my TV does the same thing, so I wonder if anyone know of some easy way of checking this on the 360. I guess I could make a .bmp at 1280*720 rez and see what it looks like when viewed on the 360...provided it shows .bmps of course.

Why would it be component only? I'm pretty sure LCD overscan deals with the actual resolution of the display itself and not the input source (ie: component, hdmi, or s-video).

I think most of the lcds should be fine. I on the other hand prefer to play on my CRT because it looks so much better. The down-side to this was that I noticed on PDZ that I couldn't see my ammo, I was also losing some information on a couple other games.

My only workaround isn't what I would call hard, but not for the faint of heart either. I had to get the service codes for my TV and then go through a plethora of settings to get back what was seemingly an inch, or 2.54 cm (for those who use a real measurements system).

So you could do a search on your mfr.'s service codes and see if you are losing information, but my cheapo lcd tv did not lose any information at all, either through component or vga. My Samsung 3075 only has component for HD, so this is the way it is connected.

Back