How not to subvocalize?

I read many mathematics and engineering books along with Manga. Does this mean my reading skills are shit?

Well here's the thing I've begun to understand, that a writer does not write words, he writes ideas and points of which words are the building blocks, which do not, by themselves, convey any message.
I mean it's like trying to see a wall, brick by brick. It's easier to see the wall if you widen the focus a bit.

I have to disagree with this. The words are quite important often.

I have to disagree with this. The words are quite important often.

Yep. 100% agree with you. In literature the words chosen are very important. You can't blaze through Joseph Conrad; Each and every word was chosen for a very specific purpose. Great writers have an immense vocabulary, and choosing one word over another is done with great care. You could probably speed read it and know the names of the characters and the plotline, but you're going to miss the subtleties and the emotional impact. Some things are meant to be read carefully; Reading isn't a race.

Now, if you're reading a fact sheet, a textbook or a scientific paper, the writing is in a different style, meant to communicate ideas as efficiently as possible and without colour, so speed reading may be more appropriate. But I still think there is risk of misinterpretation. Intentional or not, a subtle difference in the choice of words can have a huge impact on the meaning of a complete thought.

Speaking of Shakespear, I HAVE to subvocalize (or even vocalize) anything I read from him

Well Shakespeare wasn't written to be read, it was written to be listened to of course, so maybe it's understandable that sub-vocalizing will help there. It's also a foreign language of course, effectively.

When I watch a Shakespeare play it takes ~10 minutes to get into the lingo; after that it's OK but there's a definite barrier to get through. Interestingly though in my personal experience once I do get through the barrier I wonder what all the fuss is about with his stuff. His plays are good rip-roaring yarns, but I have to say that I feel that a lot of the aura surrounding Shakespeare is quite likely misplaced.

Speaking of Shakespear, I HAVE to subvocalize (or even vocalize) anything I read from him (or any of the more modern stuff written in vernacular, like Huck Finn).

Otherwise the words written just don't form coherent thoughts to me

Easily explainable. The English of that time has greater phonological similarity then orthographical one. Also, our comprehension units are more flexible in the auditory system then in the orthographic one. When you encounter unknown or low-frequency words you usually have to read them letter-per-letter, with subvokalization; while more common words are just recognized instantly.

I find that when I'm fully aware I'm reading, I subvocalise, or at least know I'm subvocalising, but after a time, I unconsciously slip into the 'world' described by the words, and I lose awareness of those words, and it's like there's a movie playing inside my head.

That to me is what's cool about reading, fiction especially.

Back