How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So what do you guys think about Spidermans sales potential? I'm thinking if it gets 90 or close to on metacritic it's got a good chance of hitting 8 million.
Spider-Man will be one of the best selling exclusives of this gen. Lol at people even doubting it.
Yes, but the others were entirely burned out by the decades of horrible Sony SpiderMan films before the current one.
Hyperbole much? Only Spider-Man 3 was bad. Even though I didn't care for Toby, Spider-Man 1 & 2 were great. They scored 89 and 93 respectively on RT. I wouldn't even consider The Amazing Spider-Man movies to be bad.

Last edited:
Spider-Man will be one of the best selling exclusives of this gen. Lol at people even doubting it.

I don't see anyone doubting it at all. I only see people trying to discuss what could possibly have negative impacts on it's sales. Those possible negative impacts can easily be waved away as non-factors.

I don't see anyone doubting it at all. I only see people trying to discuss what could possibly have negative impacts on it's sales. Those possible negative impacts can easily be waved away as non-factors.
Seems to me that people are in doubt of how big Spider-Man really is. He is arguably the most popular Marvel character of all time, and is the closest thing to being the Batman of Marvel. You could argue Iron Man due to his importance in the Avengers films, but I think die hard comic book fans will always favor Spider-Man. Spider-Man will always be massive... he is such an iconic character. Even me, a casual Spider-Man/Marvel fan, can clearly see this.

Even if Spider-Man scored in the 70s (which I highly doubt) it will still sell fairly well. If it scores in the mid-80s or 90s, it will sell like crazy. Judging by previews and gameplay, I have no doubt that it will score at least an 85 metacritic.

edit: Just a quick google search:
https://www.thetoptens.com/famous-marvel-characters/
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/top-25-best-marvel-superheroes?page=5
https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/top-marvel-comics-superheroes
https://observationdeck.kinja.com/something-i-found-marvel-character-popularity-poll-cb-1568108064

Spider-Man wins all of them

Last edited:
I felt as though I was asked to provide doubt.
"So what do you guys think about Spidermans sales potential? I'm thinking if it gets 90 or close to on metacritic it's got a good chance of hitting 8 million."
I'm basically being asked what I think about whether or not this title will hit the coveted 0.01% club of AAA games. I think responding with something like possible hero fatigue/apathy as being a reason is not at all unreasonable given a ton of other reasons why it would sell short of 8 million.

By the time Jamie Foxx was done with Amazing Spider Man, there was little doubt the series as a whole was declining from where it began with Toby. If hero fatigue on spider man movies wasn't present, there'd be no reason for Spider Man to be in the Avengers and for Iron Man to show up in Home Coming. Once Spider Man joined the avengers cast, an entirely new storyline became available for him.

So while I agree they have largely brought Spider Man back from it's decline. I don't think you can just hand wave it off like nothing. Following the Last Jedi, look at where Solo the Movie went. Fatigue is real. And while I believe the game has the potential to being the top 3 of all time for sales, I was only putting an opinion of why it might fall short of that goal.

I felt as though I was asked to provide doubt.
"So what do you guys think about Spidermans sales potential? I'm thinking if it gets 90 or close to on metacritic it's got a good chance of hitting 8 million."
I'm basically being asked what I think about whether or not this title will hit the coveted 0.01% club of AAA games. I think responding with something like possible hero fatigue/apathy as being a reason is not at all unreasonable given a ton of other reasons why it would sell short of 8 million.

By the time Jamie Foxx was done with Amazing Spider Man, there was little doubt the series as a whole was declining from where it began with Toby. If hero fatigue on spider man movies wasn't present, there'd be no reason for Spider Man to be in the Avengers and for Iron Man to show up in Home Coming. Once Spider Man joined the avengers cast, an entirely new storyline became available for him.

So while I agree they have largely brought Spider Man back from it's decline. I don't think you can just hand wave it off like nothing. Following the Last Jedi, look at where Solo the Movie went. Fatigue is real. And while I believe the game has the potential to being the top 3 of all time for sales, I was only putting an opinion of why it might fall short of that goal.
Fair enough.

But IMO there's a big difference between a movie franchise and an iconic superhero. It's easier to keep a superhero relevant because all kids grow up idolizing their favorite superhero and Spider-Man gets passed on from generation to generation. Despite some bad games or movies here and there, the character itself remains popular because many of us grew up idolizing this character.

Sure Spider-Man's popularity might drop off, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Last edited:
I think that if there was brand fatigue, as we're seeing with starwars, it would have shown up in the latest film (that was my point). There has to be a decline in sales to indicate a decline in brand value. We are seeing the opposite. A bad film which follows and is followed by a few 700 or 800 million B/O means the bad film didn't hurt and was quickly forgotten.

Back to the original question, there are a lot of indications it will be a massive best seller:

Extreme brand value (see data)
Highly reputable game studio
Lots of publicity from sony
The platform's favorite genre
Good launch window leading up to holiday sales

But the most important.... reviews and initial reception will give it legs through the holidays ONLY if it ends up a genuinely good game. GoW had an incredible reception, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well without so much praises from critic and gamers.

Last edited:

I don't think it was hero fatigue on Spider-Man movies per se, they simply weren't good movies. Look at Batman, great in the 60s where the vibe they went for really worked and Tim Burton's two movies did commercially well, terrible under Joel Schumacher, bounced back with Christopher Nolan, not so great recently. Superheroes are remarkably robust properties which is why the popular ones lasted decades through good comics and bad ones. We're seeing the same with movies. Good X-Men films did well, bad ones did poorly. I don't think Spider-Man was done well on the big or little screen until Sony's 2002 trilogy and I remember as child going to see the 1970s Spiderman movie at the cinema which is so bad it's worth a look for the hilarity alone! That would have made a great Mystery Science Theatre 3000 movie. :yes:

I think that if there was brand fatigue, as we're seeing with starwars, it would have shown up in the latest film (that was my point). There has to be a decline in sales to indicate a decline in brand value. We are seeing the opposite. A bad film which follows and is followed by a few 700 or 800 million B/O means the bad film didn't hurt and was quickly forgotten.
Data! - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145487/, etc

Spider Man = $800 M
Spider Man 2 = $780 M
Spider Man 3 = $550 M
Amazing Spider Man = $760 M
Amazing Spider Man 2 = $710 M
Homecoming = $880 M

I think the data shows that, even at its lowest, the brand has never really struggled.

Was anyone arguing that it was? The suggestion has been that the Spider Man brand has been weakened to the point that it will impact sales of the game, because people aren't so interested. Homecoming was described as a poor film and the latest portrayal described as the worst of the lot.

The data here shows the film has so far grossed $880 million. The poll data shows the latest Spidey is voted the best of them all.

Does the evidence presented from the pro-popular camp (none has been presented by the anti-popular camp...), that the brand is still strong, or not? Not 'is it as strong as it was in 2002' or "was the latest Spider Man film the most popular ever' but 'is Spider Man a highly popular brand, not hurt in the slightest by the latest film'?

I'm not sure I picked up on the idea that the latest film, Spider-Man Homecoming, is what was harming it. To my coworkers, all the films before the most recent one is what turned them off from the franchise. "Why bother getting involved in it when they'll just do yet another reboot in a few years?" is more or less their reasoning of not caring. Meanwhile, they are looking forward to all the other films in the MCU.

Can your guys make a guideline where personal tastes and surprisingly aligned anecdotes would be discouraged in a sales discussion?

Because I swear every single one of my posts, from now on, will be anecdotes. With a very very high comedic value.

Can your guys make a guideline where personal tastes and surprisingly aligned anecdotes would be discouraged in a sales discussion?

Because I swear every single one of my posts, from now on, will be anecdotes. With a very very high comedic value.

The only one I see making personal tastes posts are you.

Also, this thread has the word Anecdotes in the title, so I dont see why you're on the verge of throwing a tantrum.

The only one I see making personal tastes posts are you.

Also, this thread has the word Anecdotes in the title, so I dont see why you're on the verge of throwing a tantrum.
You misunderstood my tone, I just wanted to be funny.

Anecdotes are interesting until they are used as a counter argument to actual data.

I can adapt to any argumentative theater, as long as the rules are established clearly. I don't think they are.

Last edited:

You were never that funny.

Tommy McClain

The only actual data that was presented with the movies shows box office revenue from current Spider-Man film is less than it was in 2002 taking into account inflation. It also shows less viewers, taking into account ticket prices; they doubled since 2002. How does this data show SpiderMan movies to be as popular now as it was then?

What is missing?

You said "decades of horrible Sony SpiderMan films before the current one." which data have shown to be false.

Multiple studies are showing spiderman to be, to this day, the most popular and profitabe super hero. The 2017 film was the most successful comicbook movie of the year beating even guardians 2. We are attempting to answer honestly iroboto's question, establishing the current value of the brand. You posted flamebait. When called up on it you repeated an anecdote about coworkers. Using inflation is moving the goalpost.
Way to completely miss the point just because it doesn't match with your view of reality.
You failed to express what I missed. I waited until you repeated your anecdote. I guess we're done. I'm back to (bad) jokes now.

There is probably some correlation between 4K TV adoption and the sales of the mid-gen refreshes as well. And even in homes that do have a 4K TV, that may not be the TV that has a console hooked up to it.
I think this is right, the reason to buy the upgraded systems is 4k. If you don't have 4k why bother?

But I'm also wondering if some of the motivation from MS and Sony would be experience pushing themselves with consumer level products that are closer to the limits of what can be mass produced at a given price point.

Both companies have to believe that power is going to play a role in the next generation and with both having similar tech to choose from they're going to need to get outside the comfort zone to compete.

Back