how long till overclocking detroys my CPU

gundam675

Newcomer
i have a p4 2.8 C overclocked to 3.4 GHZ with Stock cooling only. i had 1 gig of ram and recently installed 512 more megs of it. video card - 9800 pro 128 with VGA silencer.

now i added to extra fans to the case for added cooling and i just ordered the Sp-94 thermalright hetasink with a 92 mm vantec tornado. my 3dmark03 score overclocked used to be 6554. after i installed my 512 mb more of ram today to make my total memory 1.5 gigs the 3dmark score has gone down to 6333. now im thinking that the increased cpu voltage (from default to 1.625) might be damaging my CPU because in 3dmark03 it is the CPU score that is suffering !

any ideas ?

gundam675 said:
i have a p4 2.8 C overclocked to 3.4 GHZ with Stock cooling only. i had 1 gig of ram and recently installed 512 more megs of it. video card - 9800 pro 128 with VGA silencer.

now i added to extra fans to the case for added cooling and i just ordered the Sp-94 thermalright hetasink with a 92 mm vantec tornado. my 3dmark03 score overclocked used to be 6554. after i installed my 512 mb more of ram today to make my total memory 1.5 gigs the 3dmark score has gone down to 6333. now im thinking that the increased cpu voltage (from default to 1.625) might be damaging my CPU because in 3dmark03 it is the CPU score that is suffering !

any ideas ?

Damage to the CPU shouldn't make your 3DMark score go down. Installing another dimm in the system could make performance go down in some situations though (specifically where having faster memory is more important than more memory). Raising the voltage on your CPU could cause damage, but it really depends how much you raise it. Athlon processors for example have a 10% "safe" zone where AMD claims that it shouldn't really affect the life of the processor. Even at that, people often stray outside this zone to overclock on watercooling and are fine. Just make sure temps arn't getting too hot and that you aren't sending too much voltage to the chip.

Nite_Hawk

Ummmmm, the 92mm "vantec tornado" (which in reality is a Delta fan with another sticker applied) is Incredibly Loud. I mean, like hairdryer loud. You'll promptly go nuts listening to it, I assure you.

Guden Oden said:
Ummmmm, the 92mm "vantec tornado" (which in reality is a Delta fan with another sticker applied) is Incredibly Loud. I mean, like hairdryer loud. You'll promptly go nuts listening to it, I assure you.

but u don't need to put a tornado on a good heatsink. Not if your mildly overclocking it.

then what fan should i use ? tell me quick before order is processed !

these are my choices: pick 1 !

Thermaltake 80x25 smart fan II
DElta 80x32 FFB - 47 CFM
Vantec tornado
Enermax 92x38 Clear Blue/w speed dial

or reccommend some other fan i could buy.

could i also continue using my stock fan ?

remember its for the sp-94 so it can only take 80x32 or 92x38 ish fans !

ernamax one isn't bad. Look at dba vs cfm . The lower the dba at the higher the cfm is the best

gundam675 said:
then what fan should i use ? tell me quick before order is processed !

these are my choices: pick 1 !

Thermaltake 80x25 smart fan II
DElta 80x32 FFB - 47 CFM
Vantec tornado
Enermax 92x38 Clear Blue/w speed dial

or reccommend some other fan i could buy.

could i also continue using my stock fan ?

remember its for the sp-94 so it can only take 80x32 or 92x38 ish fans !

You might be suprised, a number of people have found that 80mm fans perform better than the 92mm ones due to there being a smaller deadzone in the center of the heatsink. Personally, I just ordered a Panaflo Ultra high flow 80mm which puts out about 47cfm @ 38db. Otherwise, I guess I'd go with one of the adjustables so you can decide how loud is too loud.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
You might be suprised, a number of people have found that 80mm fans perform better than the 92mm ones due to there being a smaller deadzone in the center of the heatsink. Personally, I just ordered a Panaflo Ultra high flow 80mm which puts out about 47cfm @ 38db. Otherwise, I guess I'd go with one of the adjustables so you can decide how loud is too loud.

Nite_Hawk

That's very manufacturer dependant isn't it?
I buy mostly Zalman fans since they're cheap, and i found their 92mm to push more air at less RPMs.
To remain on topic. I'd say a 92mm fan with a fan speed adjuster would be good. Can't really recommend any good fan brands though :/

I hate to write something so obvious, however could it be that the CPU is simply throttleing down in 3dmark and thus your score is lower? If they over heat they slow down which is a good thing IMO.

Sxotty said:
I hate to write something so obvious, however could it be that the CPU is simply throttleing down in 3dmark and thus your score is lower? If they over heat they slow down which is a good thing IMO.

I second that. With an OC and raised voltage, it's very possible that the thermal sensor is throttling the chip, even if the separate temp monitor doesn't show an overly high temp.

Unit01 said:
Nite_Hawk said:

Nite_Hawk

That's very manufacturer dependant isn't it?
I buy mostly Zalman fans since they're cheap, and i found their 92mm to push more air at less RPMs.
To remain on topic. I'd say a 92mm fan with a fan speed adjuster would be good. Can't really recommend any good fan brands though :/

They push more air, but that air is almost all coming from the outside edges of the fan blades. Generally the hotest part of the heatsink is in the center, so while a 92mm fan may provide a higher CFM, the air is passing farther away from the center of the heatsink. Depending on the 92mm fan, there also may be a larger center to house the motor, which is how you get a larger deadzone. This is one of the reason why the fans with magnets on the outer edges have gained some popularity. You can have a much smaller central hub so that there is a much smaller deadzone. It's also one of the advantages with blowers (along with higher static pressure).

Nite_Hawk

Wait, what are your temps like?

1.625 adds a lot more heat over the stock 1.55. What temps and what mobo?

Run 2 instances of a Prime95 burn-in and check your temps.

Back