how fast is steam?

The other day I hit a peak speed of 13.6 mbit/s [1.7 Mb/s] which maxed out my cable connection which is 12 mbit/s with powerboost upto 20 mbit/s.

I've always gotten good speeds on Steam.

A guy at work here DL'ed the entire Orange Box in under 5 minutes - so it must be pretty darn fast.

For some reason my brand new shiny vista laptop doesn't like bit torrent clients, so i figured i could start paying for games (aspecially with the USD being so low compared to the norwegian kroner. games on steam are ridiculously cheap).

Note: Normally i would download a game, and if i liked i would buy the retail version.

Bough Civ 4 complete today, but my downloads are going horribly slow, got a 20mbit line but im only getting 100-200 kb\s. (This might have something to do with my ISP ****ing me over lately)

A guy at work here DL'ed the entire Orange Box in under 5 minutes - so it must be pretty darn fast.

I dont know how big the orange box is but can you even wright all those Gb's to your hdd in 5 minutes?

Anyway steam is great. It was a bit dodgy when hl2 came out and everybody wanted to download at the same time but it seems it works fine these days.

I dont know how big the orange box is but can you even wright all those Gb's to your hdd in 5 minutes?

Anyway steam is great. It was a bit dodgy when hl2 came out and everybody wanted to download at the same time but it seems it works fine these days.

Harddrives are NOT that slow!!!

Unless you have a old 5400rpm disc and a 200mbit line (and managing to download something at 20mb\s, note: megabytes per sec) your not going to be bottlenecked by your harddrive.

My previous laptop had a write speed of about 16megabytes per second.

Harddrives are NOT that slow!!!

Unless you have a old 5400rpm disc and a 200mbit line (and managing to download something at 20mb\s, note: megabytes per sec) your not going to be bottlenecked by your harddrive.

My previous laptop had a write speed of about 16megabytes per second.

Sure it's not going to be a bottleneck in real life, but moving contents of one DVD (4.7GB) in 5 minutes would actually require just that quoted 16 MB/sec transfer rate. Dunno either how large the orange box actually is (is it less than a single-layer DVD?) but 5 minutes transfer time in public Internet sounds a wee bit unbelievable.

It's possible he was exaggerating (he's an attorney!) but we do have the biggest pipe in San Diego.

Whenever I start hating Steam a little less than I used to, they do some scummuy thng that manages to piss me off all over again. Now I notice they've dumped the PC version of what was knowsn as the black box, ie Ep 2 and that stuff WITHOUT original HL2 and Ep 1.

Why the frak should I have to re-buy all that shit just to get portal and TF2??? OOOH but I can buy threm all separately! Pay 30 buckds for Ep 2 and 30 bucks for TF2 and 20 for Portal!! Wow what a DEAL!!!!

Valve's such a damn greedy control-freak company, I really hate them. I hope a meteor crashes on their heads, wipes them offf the face of the earth. Then I'll spit on their dead corpses, dance on their graves.

Whenever I start hating Steam a little less than I used to, they do some scummuy thng that manages to piss me off all over again. Now I notice they've dumped the PC version of what was knowsn as the black box, ie Ep 2 and that stuff WITHOUT original HL2 and Ep 1.

Why the frak should I have to re-buy all that shit just to get portal and TF2??? OOOH but I can buy threm all separately! Pay 30 buckds for Ep 2 and 30 bucks for TF2 and 20 for Portal!! Wow what a DEAL!!!!

Valve's such a damn greedy control-freak company, I really hate them. I hope a meteor crashes on their heads, wipes them offf the face of the earth. Then I'll spit on their dead corpses, dance on their graves.

Sounds like somebody needs a hug. (and therapy)

IIRC, Black Box and Orange Box will be available over Steam, but Orange Box is now going to be the only one available for retail, ie, Black Box was cancelled from retail.

And then there's this: "Although The Black Box has been cancelled, people who buy The Orange Box will be able to transfer their duplicate games to a friend. The retail box will contain three different product keys, one for three newly release games, one for Half-Life 2, and one for Half-Life 2: Episode One." According to Wiki.

Sounds like somebody needs a hug. (and therapy)
Rofl, don't we all? This is one damn crazy world we live in.

Even after therapy though I'd dance on their graves for being greedy control-freaks. There's simply no denying they are just that.

Only reason steam's even tolerated is because it's convenient. It IS, but it also distrusts you and looks over your shoulder. That's why I don't like it.
Peace.

Distrusts and looks over your shoulder? So does everything else, it's not the exception, its the rule. Steam is extremely useful, is extremely helpful, and a great program. Valve has certainly handled it well and a large number of people these days who once hated it, love it. That's really saying something.

Anyway, Steam is fast enough that I simply reinstall it and then redownload my games instead of installing from the actual disc. Just set it up the night before hand and then tomorrow play with no fuss, so nice.

It's possible he was exaggerating (he's an attorney!) but we do have the biggest pipe in San Diego.

Where in San Diego do you work? If you don't mind my asking. I live here and am curious who has the "biggest pipe." lol.

Back