How fast can you type?

112/478/1 ... I will need to retake the test when my house isn't so cold and my hands are warmer :devilish: (After a couple more attempts I got 121.28/508.8/0... I wonder how high I can go with warmer hands hehe yes, we keep our house very cool in the winter to keep heating costs down)

On my first try I have 120.64wpm and 5xx cpm (I forgot the number) with 3 mistakes.

I think a real type test should have longer text though. I can type fast in short burst but after a few minutes I get tired and can not type as fast as the first few minutes.

I think it's supposed to be randomized like that :p

Actually, it's not very randomized. If you try a few times you get to type snippets you've already written. But I don't mind randomness, in fact, it would be more better with a larger set of text so that you don't get repeats after a short number of tries. However, it would be better without words like "consecrate", which I don't think I've come across before this test. Instead of what apparently is an old speech by Lincoln it would be nice with random quotes from somewhat recent newspaper articles.

That's sort of why the link epicstruggle posted was so troubling. It's so full of non-words and cutoff words and impossible conjoinings of parts of or whole words and no complete sentences. So you end up getting confused and not being able to piece anything together in your head in order to plan finger motions several strokes ahead or use muscle memory. On that site, it was nigh impossible to even maintain half the average speed I got on suryad's link.

And of course, error rate was also insanely high there as well. When you see "t-h-e-r-e-m", you immediately want to type "theremin" not stopping yourself when you get to "m" to avoid the error since the so-called word was actually "theremself." How do you type fast when you see all this "theremself wase inside doggrw killingest the brid winehou re smarterer lysine"?

Just type a lot. Proper technique I guess helps as in my middle school days keyboarding classes were very popular and by the end of the first year I could easily type 50 to 60 worlds per minute and had a friend who did 90, and this was a time in my life where school was my only access to a computer on a regular basis. Since then its really simply been natural improvements with the knowledge of the keyboard and which finger is best to extend where. I'm also very good with the number keys and numpad. Knowing your keyboard helps a ton too though, I've had this same keyboard for nearly 4 years now and others I've tried I couldn't get near the same speed.

suffice it to say, where I work, I end up using different cubicle, computer and keyboard every day. Also of course I'm a Finn so English isn't my primary language. That said, I don't think I would do a whole lot better if there was a Finnish typing test similar to this as I do a ton of forum typing in English... I see there's room for a lot of improvement :)

Back