How do you pronounce "route"

How do you pronounce "route" ?

• Sounds like Root

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • Sounds like Rowt

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I suppose you could. But why? I'm no Frenchman --I'm a democrat on language. :LOL:

Well that's okay as long as you give up on the idea that you are speaking English and say you're talking American.

I'm not suggesting that languages must never evolve, and the OED has shown that it does for years and years, with new and imported words all the time, but either you use (modern) English conventions, or you don't. If you don't, you're speaking some other language - even if it (mostly) sounds like English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's okay as long as you give up on the idea that you are speaking English and say you're talking American.

What, two languages can't have the same word that has slightly different meanings? In ours "english" just means something other than what it means to you. ;) Maybe y'all should put a (TM) after yours or something.

Edit: Btw, nothing I've said in this thread should be interpreted as a lack of enthusiasm for the OED --a wonderful piece of work.

What, two languages can't have the same word that has slightly different meanings? In ours "english" just means something other than what it means to you. ;) Maybe y'all should put a (TM) after yours or something.

Have you noticed there's a US English and a UK English? One comes from England (where the English live), and one comes from somewhere else. ;)

Well, what I was curious about is are there only two? Do the Canadians, Australians, Indians, etc publish their own "english" dictionaries, or bow exclusively towards OED?

Edit: Tho we wander OT here, of course, as the topic is a poll for "how do you. . " for which the answer is self-definingly correct, and not subject to external sourcing.

If I heard someone call my box a "Broadband Rooter" I would laugh at them. Seriously. It's Router. I do pronounce Route as Root, but not Router. That is just wrong.
No. You are wrong :)

Well, what I was curious about is are there only two? Do the Canadians, Australians, Indians, etc publish their own "english" dictionaries, or bow exclusively towards OED?
Australia does have the Macquarie dictionary, but, in this instance, root/router etc would be the same as the OED.

Of course, Australians have another meaning for "root" which we shan't go into except to say that the "wombat" joke works better in Aus than the "panda" joke elsewhere :)

Back