How do you pronounce "route"

How do you pronounce "route" ?

• Sounds like Root

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • Sounds like Rowt

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good point PK, although I say "rowt" in all situations - noun, verb - and in the word "router". But I do know some people who say "root" for the noun and "rowt" for verb and in "router".

I generally saw rowt, the only time I dont is when talking with someone who says root. Though if talking about a computer router I ALWAYS say rowter and try to make others say it as rowter also. I've never actually heard someone say rooter.

A "route" (pr "root") is a path/direction you take (hence "root-er" for a box that directs packets at level three of the IP protocol stack).

A "rout" (pr "rowt") is what happens when an army runs away.

If you're saying "rowt" when you should be saying "root", you're using the wrong word. You can see from the etymology of the words how they should be pronounced. Unless you're making up your own pronunciations and calling it the natural evolution of the language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I never looked up the etymology. I just find root sounds very stupid and root-er eminently so :LOL:

Just saying it in my head makes me crack up :LOL:

Wireless root-er .... hahahahahaha !!! Sorry :LOL:

Btw, I have a heavily British influenced education (up to secondary school) .

If I heard someone call my box a "Broadband Rooter" I would laugh at them. Seriously. It's Router. I do pronounce Route as Root, but not Router. That is just wrong.

Digi, its okay! I've known so many people who have said cache that way, or cash-e. I'm sit in on a few of the local highschools networking classes and the first few times the word is brought up its almost always cash-e or cash-ay. It always gives the teacher a good giggle. :smile:

Just saying it in my head makes me crack up :LOL:

Wireless root-er .... hahahahahaha !!! Sorry :LOL:

Btw, I have a heavily British influenced education (up to secondary school) .

Well I'm British, and I've never heard anyone here call it a "rowter". If you call it a "rowter" you have to give up on the idea that you're speaking English, and say you're speaking American.

Last edited by a moderator:
Route = root

Router = rowter

Why do you think that something that routes (roots) packets is called a router (root-er) ?

One is obviously derived from the other, and yet you decide to pronounce the second one differently.

Don't you say that something that digs is called a digger? Something that flies a flyer? Someone that begins a beginner? You don't change the pronunciation of the root (ha!) word just because you turn it into "-er".

Why do you think that something that routes (roots) packets is called a router (root-er) ?

One is obviously derived from the other, and yet you decide to pronounce the second one differently.

Don't you say that something that digs is called a digger? Something that flies a flyer? Someone that begins a beginner? You don't change the pronunciation of the root (ha!) word just because you turn it into "-er".
Yes, and god is an iron... ;)

Back