How do you pronounce "route" ?

• Sounds like Root

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • Sounds like Rowt

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I say Rawt & Rawter.

I work with many people who do say Rooter. And sometimes I say rooter just because it's strange having a discussion when everyone is talking about the same thing but prouncing it differently.

I think its a to-ma-to to-mah-to thing.

I pronounce it "route" of course! :smile:

Anyway for routers it depends what sort of "router" you're talking about. This sort of router is pronounced "rooter", this sort is pronounced "rowter".

I say 'root' because I always think of the French, which is another language I speak, and also because I was taught to pronounce my English BrE/RP (well, actually we could choose as long as we were consistent, and I can switch between both reasonably well).

However, in the Netherlands everyone calls a broadband router a 'rau'ter', and I haven't met anyone who did otherwise, not even my British (Brittish ;) ) colleagues.

Typical Pittsburgh-ese

It's Rowt, and you're usually telling someone the rowt with a mouth full of a Primanti Bros. sandwich :D

With the fries on it, I hope. No wonder we hit it off immediately. :LOL: How yunz doing in God's country these days? Tho I'm a western PA'er in exile. ;)

Tho I must admit I use both pronunciations, because after all. . "Get your kicks. . . on Root '66!"

What's Webster's?
It's pobably a Brit, non-Brit thing. My source was Merriam-Webster Online.
How about the using OED old chap?
Subscription service, thus lacking the open 'multimedia experience'.
Anyway, thanks for the multimedia experience, it confirms what I said, does it not?
Well, no. It said the opposite of what you said. 'Rowter' for the power tool and both allowed, with 'rooter' being preferred, for the network appliance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely it's a English/non-English thing.
Heh. Nice clarification. :smile: I'm inclined to agree, but not being a native speaker of the language, you will have me excused if I'm involuntarily and unduly influenced by frequent exposure to American media and literature.
OK, I'll pedant.mode(OFF); now :)
Righty. Either I'm going insane or someone is abusing the amazing power of the stealth edit. Colour me crazy. ;)

Hmm, interesting point. Probably should use one produced in India, on the "most speakers most likely right" theory. ;)

Back