How do you pronounce Dave's surname?

I was thinking he meant "baugh" like in "laugh" and he pronounces it "Dave Baufman". :LOL:

I think if I ever have the chance to meet Dave in real-life that I'll just call him Wavey.... ;)

DaveBaumann said:
Some of the family tried to make it more English sounding by pronouncing it "bow-man", however I got so pissed off with the terrible pronouciations at school I generally accepted whatever people wanted to pronounce it as, however if I were to introduce myself I would would pronounce it something along the lines of "baugh-men"
So are we saying "baugh" to rhyme with paw, caw, saw, law? Or is it "baugh" to rhyme with ow, sow, cow? ;) My money is on the former!

The real question I find myself asking is not how Dave B pronounces his surname but how he pronounces Bedfordshire, does he do it the Bedfordshire way or the regular way.

RussSchultz said:
I'm guessing the Bedforshire way isn't:

"Bed-ford-shire"
Gosh, I'm only "nextdoor" in 'ertfordshire and I didn't realise there was another way to pronounce Bedfordshire. :oops:

I live in darkest Cumbria, which has some of the strangest pronounciations you could ever think of:

"Hawick" is said as "Hoy-ck"

"Torpenhow" is said as "Trip-pena"

8)

How about the Australian's favourite:

Loughborough

Or is the Australian mispronunciation of that town an apocryphal tale?

For other pronunciation problems, try virtually anywhere in Wales. :p

How about: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (bear in mind, that's the abbreviated version!). 8)

The full name of the place is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Mariner said:
How about: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (bear in mind, that's the abbreviated version!). 8)

The full name of the place is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Actually the "proper" name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll - the long one (which should have a hyphen between the bwll and llan ;)) is simply the tourist name, invented by a monk/priest in the mid 19th century. Apart from the railway station, all the signs, paperwork, etc have the Llanfair PG version.

Unfortunately, a lot of websites (including tourist information places!) are a bit misleading, stating that the long name is the proper version and sometimes incorrectly attributing the change to a tailor, shopkeeper or the local council.

And before any asks, I know this because (a) I'm half-Welsh, (b) I grew up Wales, just 10 miles from Llanfair PG and (c) I had to learn all about this in school :oops:

Yeah, I knew it was a manufactured touristy name - I've been on holiday to North Wales quite a few times over the years. Those bloody Victorians and their tourist attractions, eh?

Not managed it this year due to a gammy knee but hopefully I'll be able to go and get some walking done in Snowdonia again in the new year. :)

And we here in Loughborough pronounce it "Loogahboroogah" (a small town in Lie-cestershire).

MuFu said:
And we here in Loughborough pronounce it "Loogahboroogah" (a small town in Lie-cestershire).
"Enoogah", I say! I think you're jesting.

Yeah. Most people write it "Lufbra" anyway (although I think that's more indicative of the general intellect round here than anything else).

PeterAce said:
Bedfordshire - locally pronounced :

'Bed-ford-sheer'

and just like how we pronounce :

'Hert-ford-sheer'

Yes, I actually usually say:

'Heart-ford-sheer'.

Also I was speaking to a work college who lives in Northhamptonshire.

He also says 'sheer' not 'shire'.

So it may stretch further than we thought.

Back