How do you pronounce Dave's surname?

I pronounce it somewhere beetween arrowbow and shipbow. Like bored but in a Daniel Day-Lewis Gangs of New York way.

Foreign names don't always keep their original pronounciation when they go to other countries. Like Bernstein a name seen in USA and Germany, in USA it's like Burnsteen and in Germany it's more like Baernstain.

Since I'm German, I'm tied between German and English pronounciation.
German would be 'bow-mun (bow as in bow down, mun as in Munster), English like 'bore-man (open o as in bore, but no r).

If you have FIFA 2004, try playing Werder Bremen. They have a player called Baumann, but I think the voice makes it sound more like "dolmen". ;)

AFAIK my great grandfather was Swiss, so the name came over here from that area.

Some of the family tried to make it more English sounding by pronouncing it "bow-man", however I got so pissed off with the terrible pronouciations at school I generally accepted whatever people wanted to pronounce it as, however if I were to introduce myself I would would pronounce it something along the lines of "baugh-men"

DaveBaumann said:
however I got so pissed off with the terrible pronouciations at school I generally accepted whatever people wanted to pronounce it as
I know the feeling, kirit is a terrible first name when no one can say it properly. Gave up after a few years.

epic

RussSchultz said:
"Baugh" doesn't help a whole lot.
LOL. Was just thinking the same thing.
I guess the profile info should be extended with a sound file where you pronounce your name. :D

Btw, I thought that my name would be fairly easy to understand and pronounce by an American. (Of course with an American accent.) But when I've been there, and given my name for someone to write down. They've often just stared blankly into space and written some seemingly random letters. :D Is it really that hard to understand "Henrik Gustavsson"? :)

I'm guessing he pronounces it "baughmen" as in baugh baugh black sheep. That's how I've always thought of it.

The549 said:
I'm guessing he pronounces it "baughmen" as in baugh baugh black sheep. That's how I've always thought of it.

See thats kinda regional too, i know people who say "baa baa blacksheep" and "bargh bargh". With the first "baa" sounding like the "a" in apple.

Simon F said:
MuFu said:
Ying-tong.
iddle I po?

Yep. 8)

DaveBaumann said:
AFAIK my great grandfather was Swiss, so the name came over here from that area.

Some of the family tried to make it more English sounding by pronouncing it "bow-man", however I got so pissed off with the terrible pronouciations at school I generally accepted whatever people wanted to pronounce it as, however if I were to introduce myself I would would pronounce it something along the lines of "baugh-men"

Dave Barfmen!

Back