how do I capture and save video with j2me?

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
I can find a lot of examples of capturing a snapshot but how do I capture and save a video from my midp 2.0 cameraphone so that I can later re-play the video?

edit: I can't seem to find any example code of this anywhere. Additionally the videocontrol doesnt seem to have any get method for video. It has the videocontrol.getsnapshot but thats just for pics. What am I supposed to do, take a whole lot of pictures real fast and then what, how to compose a video out of them? I think the phone would also be nagging about permission for each and every snapshot too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mendel said:
I can find a lot of examples of capturing a snapshot but how do I capture and save a video from my midp 2.0 cameraphone so that I can later re-play the video?

edit: I can't seem to find any example code of this anywhere. Additionally the videocontrol doesnt seem to have any get method for video. It has the videocontrol.getsnapshot but thats just for pics. What am I supposed to do, take a whole lot of pictures real fast and then what, how to compose a video out of them? I think the phone would also be nagging about permission for each and every snapshot too...

Does your device support MMAPI (an optional package for MIDP 2.0, currently V1.1, see also JSR 135)? AFAIK it is needed for video capture.

Snyder said:
Does your device support MMAPI (an optional package for MIDP 2.0, currently V1.1, see also JSR 135)? AFAIK it is needed for video capture.

Well, I'm developing on emulator that does have support, and I have the Nokia 6680...

edit: I got as far as making the snappermidlet work, available here - http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/articles/picture/

But thats as far as I can get. I have no idea how to even save a picture into a file, let alone how to store a video.

In fact, all the things they suggest to do, seem like something that I might want to do but I can't find examples of how I would do any of them

# You could save the full-size images in persistent storage, so that the user could browse through them later.
# You could allow the user to remove images, or change their order.
# You could send the full-size images to a server for storage and provide a web interface for browsing them.
# In MIDP 2.0, you could allow for standard transformations of the images: blurring, sharpening, color inversion, geometric transformations, among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have programmatic access to the file system without the PDA Optional Profile (FileConnection), but you can send pictures via HTTP/Sockets and via WMA (Wireless Messaging, MMS). In theory, the setRecordLocation() method of RecordControl can give you just access, but you have no apriori way of knowing which locator URLs are supported on each platform.

so saving videos with the camera on the 6680 is not even feasible? Sheesh, I'm about to complain about some teacher that gives impossible homework assignments :)

Back