How can MS do better in Europe?

Lack of success in Europe seems to be the main thing holding the X360 back right now. I thought it might be interesting to discuss what MS might do or have done differently in order to improve their situation there.

As it stands, it looks like the European market is:

40% UK, 20% Germany, 20% France, and 20% Other EU

MS seems to be doing well in the UK, but not so well in France/Germany or the rest of the EU. It looks like Sony has already caught up to them in Germany/France, for instance.

What's the solution for MS? How can they do better?

Lack of success in Europe seems to be the main thing holding the X360 back right now. I thought it might be interesting to discuss what MS might do or have done differently in order to improve their situation there.

As it stands, it looks like the European market is:

40% UK, 20% Germany, 20% France, and 20% Other EU

MS seems to be doing well in the UK, but not so well in France/Germany or the rest of the EU. It looks like Sony has already caught up to them in Germany/France, for instance.

What's the solution for MS? How can they do better?

Off the top of my head..?

More diverse & family oriented games like Singstar, Buzz etc..

More AAA child-friendly games like Sly cooper, R&C, Spyro etc..

More diverse eastern offerings (although the PS3 needs these too)..

Better hardware build quality (goes without saying)..

More offline oriented experiences (because not everyone in the world has 50Mb+ connections)..

Who know's I guess.. *shrug*

More time, you can't just wipe away past marketshares (despite what Nintendo did). It's an uphill battle for MS in Europe, because Sony has such a strong presence and mindshere here. MS just needs to improve their game gen after gen and gradually gain more marketshare.

More time, you can't just wipe away past marketshares (despite what Nintendo did). It's an uphill battle for MS in Europe, because Sony has such a strong presence and mindshere here. MS just needs to improve their game gen after gen and gradually gain more marketshare.

Well said.

Sony sponsors Champions League or Euro doesn't it?

Also F1?

All those futbol and F1 highlights with the Sony logo everywhere.

Does MS have any high-profile sponsorships over there?

MS has had some limited success with product placements for the Xbox and Zune on various TV shows in the US.

Are they doing something similar over there?

you cant? i believe the ps1 was a success straight away ( it was sonys first ever console ) + like u allude to, the gamecube didnt do to well but the wii is.
ie, like they say in financial perspectives(sp?), past performance is no indication of future results :)

i believe archangelmorph summed it up, they need to do something i do it quick, even in the UK it looks like theyre in trouble
looking at the latest UK software charts
#2 Burnout Paradise xb360 51% of sales
#3 Burnout Paradise ps3 49% of sales
according to NPD in the US multiplatform titles tend to sell 3:1 for the xb360 : ps3 (cause of the 3:1 userbase)

i believe MS need to take more of a risk with diverse games, eg a high selling recent game sonic + mario at the olypics sold lots (even though its crap + not diverse, hmm i dont know why i mentioned it :) )
if u look at the software sales charts lineups in europe vs the US theyre very different, europe seems to favour fun stuff or intellectual stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
you cant? i believe the ps1 was a success straight away ( it was sonys first ever console ) + like u allude to, the gamecube didnt do to well but the wii is.
ie, like they say in financial perspectives(sp?), past performance is no indication of future results :)

Past marketshare counts, trust me...I think the point of this sentence "past performance is no indication of future results" is only that companies shouldn't rely too much on their past performance and lay back on their asses, instead they should continue to develop themselves into being more competitive companies.

Besides it took awhile for PS1 to grow wings and at that time Sony already had strong name as a consumer electronics manufacturer, Also the competition against PS1 wasn't nearly as strong as the Playstation is to MS. Wii is slighty different from the competition, I think it exists partly in other market than the two other consoles, and even in that case I believe PS3 is doing better against Wii in Europe than in the other two markets. There haven't been major Wii shortages in Europe for a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony's mindshare is a lot stronger here. MS has been considerably more successful in the US with the first Xbox as well; it's simply pretty hard to conquer the customers here. Heck, some people call every console a playstation here.

Sony's mindshare is a lot stronger here. MS has been considerably more successful in the US with the first Xbox as well; it's simply pretty hard to conquer the customers here. Heck, some people call every console a playstation here.

I remember that is how it was with Nintendo. THeir problem was that they focused too much on Japan. They have gone on the record for focusing on Europe now. THey should have had an eye on that a long time ago though. Microsoft takes their lumps and bruises and generally comes back with a stronger product. Just as much as the 360 is a step up over the Xbox 1, their console should do the same or even more.

People would have to end up dissatisfied with their PS3s in order to consider another console, as it seems. It may also be that ignorance is bliss - that most of the market just doesn't know much about the games library, market share and other issues.

I guess MS needs a lot more advertising, and just has to keep doing better than Sony for a long time to become a market leader here. And let's admit, they certainly haven't made the most of their headstart and Sony's stumbles, just because it was enough for the US doesn't neccessarily have any effect in Europe.

People would have to end up dissatisfied with their PS3s in order to consider another console, as it seems. It may also be that ignorance is bliss - that most of the market just doesn't know much about the games library, market share and other issues.

I guess MS needs a lot more advertising, and just has to keep doing better than Sony for a long time to become a market leader here. And let's admit, they certainly haven't made the most of their headstart and Sony's stumbles, just because it was enough for the US doesn't neccessarily have any effect in Europe.

A global company sometimes has to think local. It is apparent that they haven't done that with the 360 in Europe. Then again, Europe is a bunch of small countries. It was easier for Sony to come in when they did because what they offered was different from Nintendo and on a much bigger scale than what Sega offered. Microsoft is basically emulating what Sony has done as it doesn't have to be argued that everything from the game lineup to what the company sees out of the console is virtually the same. Microsoft just has to do what Sony is doing, but do it better. That is their issue currently.

Only one thing, persuade people that 360 was the best for football game… no more…
So MS will need a lot of marketing during Euro 2008 …
Like Madden for the US ;)

PS1 expanded the market by a lot, as a lot of first-time console buyers purchased it. Moreover Sony was already a huge brand in CE despite not having released a console before. Sony introduced the PS1 at the perfect time.

Gamecube is an abberation from Nintendo's usual success, so at the time of the Wii's introduction there was still a lot of mindshare from 2-4 generations ago. Wii's unique appeal also appeals to many first-time buyers like PS1 did.

MS has none of this. They don't have a strong respected brand (whether in consoles or elsewhere), and they can't target new markets with much success. Maybe next generation they can do something bigger, but I doubt Sony will goof up as much then.

MS has none of this. They don't have a strong respected brand (whether in consoles or elsewhere), and they can't target new markets with much success. Maybe next generation they can do something bigger, but I doubt Sony will goof up as much then.
Microsoft has Windows and Windows games. If Xbox can run Windows and its software as is it's an instant win, but they don't do it somehow.

It seems the process of importing PC gamers into console gaming is at its final stage, PC gaming is clearly on the decline except for places like Germany. Also MMO presents a concept that servers are a platform, which Google and other web services represent on the other side. Xbox Live is almost there, but its entrance fee for simple multiplayer matches is a stark contrast with normal PC games.

This.

Also it's relative, 360 is (rightfully in the latter case) tabbed as a big "failure" in Japan, but 360 passed lifetime sales of Xbox 1 in Japan some time ago, despite a much slower start. Xbox 1 weekly sales were typically ~250 in Japan. 360 is constantly doing 4 or 5k.

I believe it's similar in Europe, France is near 600k 360's sold in 2+ years, and that is nearly the same as life sales of Xbox 1 were there. So that's a lot of improvement. So it is losing to PS3, but 360 vs PS3 is inifinitly closer battle than PS2 vs Xbox, if you think about it. The year headstart helped.

I believe on a practical scale price is key. In Europe 360 will need to undercut PS3 by a good deal to hold it's own. There was a recent rumor of a 199 Euro Arcade sku for Europe. Something like that would be a great move. Focusing on Europe developed games to target the market would also be helpful.

All in all though I think it's in pretty good position, relative to the past and all things considered, and will be fine going forward.

BTW in comment on the way the OP broke down the market I'd say it's more like:

UK strong #1

Germany, France second biggest markets.

Spain, Italy, Benelux next.

Or even simpler, break it into Uk, France+Spain+Germany+Italy+Benelux.

My two Euro-cents:

First of all, Microsoft has a much lower reputation as a company in Europe than in the US. A lot of people don't like them and will only buy their products if there's no other competitive option. So their uphill battle is not just to gain a foothold in a market dominated during the last gen by Sony, but it already starts with brand reception.

Sponsoring:
So in order to boost their profile they need to step up on sponsoring. Not just smaller stuff like TV show events, but mass sports like football, F1, etc.
Plus, they should realize that Europeans aren't a homogene mass, we're all different. Advertising at a cross country skiing event will get good coverage in Norway, but will reach zero potential buyers in Greece. Better yet example, cricket would has an audience of almost zero outside UK. While this might pose a problem for transnational marketing, it's also an opportunity: You can almost specifically target certain regions where your sales are below average. For transnational marketing use the Champion's League (like Sony), the EURO or generally any big sport event like a hockey WC, etc.

Advertising:
The above applies to their advertising efforts as well. I have yet to see a single Forza Motorsport 2 advertisement during a F1 race. None! It would be the best time to reach the casuals motorsports affecionados.
As for increased advertising let me underline a single observation I made during the Christmas (sales) time. (IMO!) # minutes of Sony TV ads: # minutes of MS TV ads = 2-3:1. Sony had more than twice as many air time than MS. Plus, they had at least 4-5 different ads (partially aimed at different demographics; they might have even been smart enough to vary the # of minutes attributed to commercial A, B, etc. in different countries), while MS used the one commercial fits all approach. For the record I liked that ad, but it's not a very flexible approach, TBH. Sony could run more Uncharted commercials during TV shows with a predominantly male audience and buy airtime for PS3 Singstar during a TV show with a more female audience etc.

Lineup:
With regard to lineup I think there's distinct difference between the perceived lineup (e.g. "there're only FPS on X360") and the actual lineup. The first one can be fixed with advertisement (see the Forza2 issue above), fixing the second issue takes more time, more effort and, more importantly, more money.
Basically there are three options: Buy an exclusive deal for a third party franchise (less time consuming, but probably more expensive) or create an exclusive game yourself (more time consuming) or both.

A) Buy an exclusive title:
This should be used on paneuropean franchises like Pro Evolution Soccer (I don't think EA would take up unless a particularily large wad of money changes hands). I.e. franchise proven to do well across Europe. FYI, this isn't limited to sports titles. Anything that does well in a various countries, buy it. Moreover, don't forget to advertise those titles.

B) Create exclusive games:
First step woud be to specifically advertise games already created or in production that would do good in Europe (see Forza 2 issue above) [Just to clarify this here: advertise them at the time they hit the market].
Now the next step is far more risky:
I.) Create games aimed at local markets, like Wintersports games (Olympic, etc.) or a rugby games, etc. It's a risky strategy in the end: You'll have to spend money on a game with a reduced target audience and no garantee how much you will recuperate in sales. On the upside you could boost your sales in certain regions.
II.) Create games aimed at "other" target audiences. Sing Star, Buzz, etc. do well beyond the hardcore gamer market. Sing Star is particularly sweet deal for Sony as they own labels, themselves etc., but MS should try to put together a competitor leveraging their strengths as much as possible (including an online shop, etc.).

Other stuff:
Tapping other markets...
Don't be afraid to try some non-conventional stuff: If a market place is too PC centred, get decent M&KB in your games and don't forget to get some games usually found on PCs.
etc.

Back