Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date

DLC exclusive to PS5, new technology for clouds. It was in the SIGGRAPH presentation for future works.

EDIT: They said they use exactly the same technology than in Houdini or offline rendering. They tried to render at native resolution without temporal it was taking 22ms after reducing resolution(quarter resolution and using temporal it takes 1.7 ms on PS5)

Last edited:

DLC exclusive to PS5, new technology for clouds. It was in the SIGGRAPH presentation for future works.

EDIT: They said they use exactly the same technology than in Houdini or some offline rendering. They tried to render at native resolution without temporal it was taking 22ms after reducing resolution(quarter resolution and using temporal it takes 1.7 ms on PS5)
Looks even better than main game.

Impossible to make on PS4

oday we're thrilled to announce Burning Shores, our expansion to Horizon Forbidden West which sees Aloy pursue a sinister threat in the untamed wilds of Los Angeles, now a treacherous volcanic archipelago.

She will be traveling to a dangerous new region south of the Tenakth Clan Lands, featuring a compelling storyline following from where Horizon Forbidden West ended, new characters, adventures, and more - some details which we look forward to sharing with you very soon!

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is coming to PlayStation5 consoles on 19 April 2023.

Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities. To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we've made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation5 console.

Thanks again to all our amazing fans for your love and support! We look forward to sharing more with you very soon.

Reactions: snc
FjhkVDSWIAAwEKg

FjhkVaEXoAECd59

FjhkVzWXkAAQG6t

FjhkWNrXoAEE_EF

fb77fbdb1d0d2192f114f37ff82d6067a861ab91.jpg

Some hint about usage of new cloud technology. This is a huge step in realtime technology. They use the same technology with some compromises used inside Houdini and 2011 Rio movie. Andrew Schneider worked on cloud for this movie when he was at Blue Sky Studio working in offline rendering industry.

This is funny GG are the one to do it because it reminds me of the cloud rendering of a controversial video in 2005

Last edited:
it's great tech for sure, but i don't know, "standard" ones looked already very good, i would have prefered some enhancement on the cloth physics maybe instead for example.

it's great tech for sure, but i don't know, "standard" ones looked already very good, i would have prefered some enhancement on the cloth physics maybe instead for example.
Old technology cost 2ms on PS5, new technology cost 1.7 ms. No impact on performance of the game and other technology. He is not responsible of cloth technology.

EDIT:
1wGbJen.png

EDIT: Photo of offline rendering cloud of Killzone 2005 trailer

RHMHYXa.png

Last edited:

Some details about things they can't do on PS4.

In Burning Shores, since we can just focus on PS5, we’ve been able to charge forward and we’re really excited about what we’ve been able to pull off in creating this stunning post-post-apocalyptic version of Los Angeles.

The cityscape ruins of LA and its surroundings are highly detailed and require a lot of processing power as well as fast streaming technology to run properly; especially when the player is flying over the lands and can see a lot at once. One of the settlements is situated in and around those detailed ruins, and we were able to squeeze a lot of activity in there.

Another notable one is a particular battle scene that requires a LOT of memory and processing power!
To achieve this grand vision both technically and creatively, we definitely were thankful for the many advantages that the PS5 hardware brings.

I wish we get a FPS that really captures the dynamic feel and mayhem of the original CG Killzone trailer with true next gen grphics

I wish we get a FPS that really captures the dynamic feel and mayhem of the original CG Killzone trailer with true next gen grphics
I was only saying to my brother last night about the PS3 CGI stuff.

The Killzone CGI has aged pretty terribly visually but the original CGI Motorstorm trailer still holds up really well and we were talking about if we could get that quality on today's hardware.

Back