Home network equipment

PSman1700

Legend
Didnt feel appropiate to revive threads from 2002 (what the forum suggested as found similar topics).

Anyway, what are you guys using for equipment for your home networks? I have played around with consumer stuff (asus routers/AImesh etc), aswell as pro-sumer devices like TP link's Omada range, Cisco). The latter is obviously the better choice if you have the higher-end stuff, but these days even Asus's routers offer very much for the value.

Thinking about upgrading the network and might be looking at 2x AX86U wired (either aimesh or AP mode).
Old Cisco stuff is loud, hot and its not supported anymore.

I'm using Ubiquiti with a Unifi OS Console connected directly to my ISP GPON so I don't need their shitty router.

Currently covering the house with a central placed Unifi Dream Machine that has built-in router, dual-band wave 2 access point (802.11ac, 4x4) and a managed 4-port switch.

The horse stable and office are connected with a wireless bridge using two airMAX LiteBeam 5AC (~650Mbit/s) and a small airCube Home WiFi Access Point (802.11ac, 2x2).

If I were to replace the wireless bridge today I would definitely grab the Building-to-Building Bridge (1.7Gbit/s bidirectional 802.11ad).

I just grabbed the new Dream Router to test out with WiFi 6 (4x4 MU-MIMO/OFDMA), router, managed 4-point switch (two 802.3af PoE ports) and support for all the Unifi OS applications like Network, Protect (cameras), Access (smart locks / door bells) and Talk (VoIP solution).

I maintain a variety of routers in homes and at work. I like boxes that can run AsusWRT Merlin, OpenWRT or Tomato. I have been running Netgear R7000, Buffalo G300NH2, Netgear WNDR4300, and several Asus AC68U for years. They are all maintenance free aside from occasional firmware updates.

I maintain a variety of routers in homes and at work. I like boxes that can run AsusWRT Merlin, OpenWRT or Tomato. I have been running Netgear R7000, Buffalo G300NH2, Netgear WNDR4300, and several Asus AC68U for years. They are all maintenance free aside from occasional firmware updates.

Do you have any experience with the 'prosumer' equipment where you have a dedicated router, switch, accesspoints like a omada network, how does something like that compare to a higher end asus router running merlin? I know that 2x ax68u running wired are quite a nice network for at home. I havent tried any modern prosumer stuff at home yet.

Any opinions on TL R605 router/omada AP’s?

I’m running one of these now connected directly to the ONT. It’s hot garbage. Do not recommend.

The features and user interface of my old as dirt ASUS RT66U were miles ahead. The TP link is missing some basic functionality like support for Google domains DynDNS. The Omada software controller has a poorly designed user interface for accessing settings or viewing network stats. it has no “advanced” features that you wouldn’t find on a decent consumer oriented router. It’s only saving grace is the ability to monitor and configure multiple devices in one place. I would stay far away.

Back