History of ATI

Nil Sanyas

Newcomer
I wrote the History of NVIDIA 4 months ago (link in my sign).

I just finished the History of ATI (not on line for the moment).

The dossier is composed by 9 pages :

- 1 : ATI creation and Kwok Yuen Ho's life.
- 2 : First products (1987 to 1995)
- 3 : 3D Rage, Rage Pro and co (1996 and 1997)
- 4 : Rage 128 to Rage 128 MAXX
- 5 : Radeon and Radeon 8500
- 6 : Radeon 9xxx
- 7 : Special about ArtX
- 8 : Information in general about ATI
- 9 : Conclusion

The 1, 2, 7 and 8 pages are really rarely treated.

Yet, I've some (not important) questions of which I don't find an answer...

- Do you know why Kwok Yuen Ho leave Hong-Kong to Canada in 1982 ?
- Have you piece of news about the law suit between ArtX and SGI ?
- Why Dave Orton substituted immediately Kwok Yuen Ho in Avril 2000 ?
- The ArtX team is today the Ouest team (in California) or ArtX was divide in the East team too (In Marlborough, Massachusetts) ?

PS : sorry for my horrible english language :oops:

1) As far as I know, Kwok Yuen Yo didn't leave Hong Kong for Canada in 1982, he left Taiwan.
He graduated from the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan in 1974 with a degree in electrical engineering.
He stayed in Taiwan for around 10 years working for various companies including Control Data Systems, Phillips and National Semiconductor. He then went to Canada.
The reason he went? I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess better jobs/pay would be a good reason. I've read that he had no trouble finding work in Canada, but was unhappy because it was less demanding and he didn't enjoy as much responsability as in Taiwan. Hence setting up Array Technology Industry.

2) Don't have any info on that. Sorry.

3) As far as I know Dave Orton did not immediately replace Kwok Yuen Ho as ATI head. Dave was given the newly created jod of Cheif Operations Officer, effectively making him ATI number 2. To my knowledge, Kwok Yuen Ho is still Chairman and CEO of ATI.

4) I don't know the exact answer to your question here. Aparrently the actual ArtX team was split into 2 parallel teams, one of which was responsible for R300. As far as I know, once he took up the COO position, Dave Orton immediately split the entire ATI/ArtX engineering division into 3 design teams as part of his radical restructuring. I don't know where the ArtX teams are based now, but there definately was 2 ArtX teams.

Hope it helps

EDIT: Ooops! Forgot to add: Your english is fine, certainly better than my French :oops:

1) In know that (sorry for my mistake between HK & Taiwan 8) ).

I found a lot information about mister Yo, so I don't know if he left Taiwan for political reason or financial maybe...

3) Ok, I will search again about more detail ;)

4) Hum... if they are 3 teams, maybe on just work in Console graphic chip ? As I know, they are just 2 teams.

Argh, I've a crual lack of information :devilish:

Nil Sanyas said:
:D

Why ? Are you a fanATIc ? ;)

<sigh>

No, I'm an enthusiast; but I got a bit of a long history with ATi.

I was actually their biggest detractor for a while there, but no one seems to remember that anymore since I like their new stuff. :rolleyes:

Back