Help

l15741

Newcomer
I am having a problem with my graphics card I think. It usually only happends after I have been playing game for a little, but when I either open the color selector in image editing programs (about 3 times) or sometimes, but much more rarly (happend once), when I'm using Gmax, I get ramdom things drawn on my screen.

I hesitate calling them artifacts because they are not really shapes, but more lines...

Desktop-problems.jpg

This is something I made that looks a lot like it because when it does it the computer slows down greatly and I immediatly shut it down, in fear that there is some kind of long term damage being done. If needed I think it would be possible to take a screen shot, but I didn't want to do that untill I was told it was needed. The ones like that look like the picture but sometimes are outlines in purple, and stay still. But sometimes the lines are smaller, many colors and move a little. I don't need to wait for it to cool down, a quick on and off fixes it.

So here I am, I don't know a whole lot about solving problems like this with graphic cards, so I turn to the massive ammount of knowlege on these forums.

It is about 9 and a half mounths old (christmas morning if anyone wants to do the math better) Nvidia Ge-force 5200+ 128 bit 128 mb PCI version.

This is very rare, about 4 times ever (started happening less than 2 months ago), but even though it's not the best out there I try to take care of my computer and there is a problem in there somewhere and I want to fix it.

Thanks for any help you give, especially if its not get a new card because if thats it then no Battlefield Vietnam for a while...

If they're a pinkish purple and they just appear sporadically, I'm afraid it sounds like your memory is dying on your card. :(

I just lost my 9700 pro to that not long ago, my condolences. :cry:

Ok, I wanted to give it over night to see if anyone elce had any ideas, but looks like noone does. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I need a new card, and hopefully this one holds on because it will be a few months before I can get it. But I'm looking around, I figure while your at it nothing wrong with upgrading a little, so I was looking about the 5700-9600 area. I am a Nvidia fan, they have never let me down, but I have no real problems with ATI.

While looking around I realized that the 5700's clock speed is only about 25 MHZ faster then my 5200's. Also the memory speed is the same. And there is nothing it seems to support thats all that special that my 5200 doesn't.

However when I looked at the 9600, 1) it was much cheaper, about 50 dollars so. 2) the clock speeds are much higher, still has 400 MHZ memory like the card I have now, but the core speed was like 325, and a search lead me to someone in OC forum that had gotten it to over 600 MHZ stable. 3) it still had DX9 support and all the things I like as far as that goes. However as I'm writing this I'm thinking do they support pixle shaders? Or is that Nvidia only?

So my question is, is there something I should know? Or as long as I'm not going newer generation (because pixle shaders 3.0 and all), is ATI the same or better then Nvidia? I have heard many people say this but since I was happy with my card, (which I recived as a gift) I never bothered to look into it.

Thanks for the help and please stick with me for another second here...

--P.S--
Assuming you all don't say take the Nvidia, this is the 9600 I was looking at,http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-164-022&DEPA=1, anyone have any problems with or recamend this card? Or is there something better in that price range?

--Edit--
I'm not crying yet, but come on baby, hold on... :cry:

Back