Help with my samqulg DTD-RMM SD 414 drive

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
At least that's what my BIOS and Windows reports it as. :LOL:

This time it isn't going away. :(
It happened randomly within windows when I sometimes tried to access a CD.

This is what happens whenever I try to access a CD/DVD:
run_cd.JPG

This is what it's renamed to:
cd_renamed.JPG

It is a Samsung DVD SD 616 drive.

I tried tightening the already tighten IDE cable and power cable.
I unistalled, and reinstalled my drivers.
I looked through the BIOS for options which could influence this problem.

I may be missing something here.

I've installed another CD-ROM drive, it's a 40x.
The only problem now is one letter in the drive's name and the same error message above when accessing the CD:

pom.JPG

I've even switched IDE cables and the problem remains. :(

Seems one IDE channel on your mobo's zonked out. I'd suggest NOT attaching your harddrive(s) to that channel just to test; who knows what might happen then! ;)

You're fucking great. :D

Solved the problem. Have my CD-ROM working off a RAID controller.
It's said it uses less CPU time, eventually I may move my HD to the 2nd RAID controller.

I put my hard drive on the faulty 2nd IDE channel and as you have said it was fucked. The thought had crossed my mind once but I really didn't want to believe it to be a possiblilty.

Now my CD-ROM works like a charm and I disabled the 2nd IDE channel so it doesn't waste resources.

Thanks again.

Yeah, looks like bit 1 on that IDE channel is often being read as 0. I'm quite surprised the BIOS accepted that as a correctly detected drive - I'd have thought the detection process included some kind of elementary check.

Dio said:
Yeah, looks like bit 1 on that IDE channel is often being read as 0. I'm quite surprised the BIOS accepted that as a correctly detected drive - I'd have thought the detection process included some kind of elementary check.

Is it repairable?

PCI (RAID) controllers generally use as much, or even more CPU time than internal controllers, and in addition they're limited to the confines of the PCI bus itself with regards to latency, bandwidth etc. All PCI devices share the same bandwidth while pretty much all chipsets from at least this century use dedicated bandwidth for most on-board devices except maybe sound which typically is a PCI device soldered to the mobo (not true for NForce Soundstorm), and sometimes also networking as not all southbridge chips have networking included or it might have been cheaper for the manufacturer to go with a 3rd party chip rather than the one the chipset maker supplies...

Thus, if you have some other heavy bandwidth-using devices attached in addition to your RAID card, they could slow each other down (TV tuner, network adapter, USB2/firewire controllers etc). Soundcards don't need much PCI bandwidth, but they do lots of tiny scatter/gather transfers all over the place which might still affect drive performance.

It's not critical with a CDROM because they aren't particulary fast to begin with and you typically only do bulk transfers to/from them when burning or installing programs or such so some additional PCI activity is unnoticeable. Harddrives however are much more demanding as well as time-critical. Keep your rigid disks on the remaining working internal controller is my suggestion, that way you'll get optimal performance.

I was really getting sick and tired of that problem over the 2 days and was thinking about taking it to a tech to find out what's wrong.

I had done all sorts of stuff to find out the problem but never could.

Thanks for the help and info.

Back