Help on custom built PC for a media center/DVR project

silhouette

Regular
Hi guys,

I am planning to build a custom PC for a media center that would go nicely with a home theater system. I already nailed down the gfx card (AIW-9600Pro), sound card (Audigy ZS) and processor (AMD Barton 2500+), but have difficulty to select the case and motherboard.

I first decided to go with the Antec Overture, but I also heard good reviews on AOpen H400A. However, as both cases are small desktops that support microatx solutions, they have very limited cooling solutions. One of the other drawback of the Aopen one is the smaller depth that prohibits the use of full-length PCI card.

I just would like to ask opinion of the people who built this kind of machine about the selection of the case and motherboard? My main concerns are
1- cooling
2- noise
3- ability to hold full-length PCI cards
4- power supply

I appreciate any comments here. I also haven't made much research on motherboards so I also need advice on that one also..

Btw, another question! Is it possible to control a digital cable box with AIW9600Pro?

Thanks,

How many PCI cards does it need to hold? Because there are a ton of good, small media center like cases, but most of them only have room for 1 PCI/1 AGP if they have that at all. But they make up for it by having pretty decent integrated solutions for ethernet, sound, etc.

To be honest, a dell box is already quiet, and reasonably cheap. Their SC400 has a 2.0 celeron and you can get it for about $250.

Its much quieter than the box I put together using a VGA silencer ($30), Zalmon CPU heat sink ($45), and Zalmon Silent Power supply ($100 )

silhouette said:
Btw, another question! Is it possible to control a digital cable box with AIW9600Pro?
Sorry to say, no. It'll only tune 125 channels like most TVs, the additional channels you'll still have to use your digital cable tuner box for the premium channels and such. (I have that set-up on one of my 'puters....it works well. :) )

digitalwanderer said:
silhouette said:
Sorry to say, no. It'll only tune 125 channels like most TVs, the additional channels you'll still have to use your digital cable tuner box for the premium channels and such. (I have that set-up on one of my 'puters....it works well. :) )

Yes, "OpenCable" is suppossed to help solve this problem. Not sure how long it will be before it actually takes hold, but it should allow manufacturers of TVs, recording devices, (and PC tuner cards) to be able to receive and decode digitial cable.

My digital cable box is one of the main reason I haven't invested in a Hard disk video recorder or DVD recorder yet....

BTW...what do you mean by "I have that set-up on one of my 'puters..."? What do you have set-up...a digital cable box as video input to a capture card?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.. Sorry I can only check the messages and reply nights. Anyway, here are answers to the questions.

I am perfectly happy with 1 PCI/1 AGP configuration, so micro-atx is not a problem. However, an on-board ethernet is a must. I also plan to utilize one of the USB ports for wireless connection. I am also a little cost conscious. I am planning to built a powerful tower for my self when the 939 pin Athlon's comes out, so I just want to build a computer around 500$ and then use it as HTPC.

Thanks for the links btw. Especially the one which talks about the custom-build HTPC is pretty nice... The cases are also pretty nice, however most of them are very expensive...

About the dell machine: a 2.0 Ghz Celeron would handle most of the current PVR functionality without any problem, but I doubt that it will be enough when we can be able to record HDTV content in the future. I just would like to buy a CPU that I do not need to change in the future (Though gfx card might change :) )

And about the "OpenCable" thing: I guess the problem is the modulation format that the digital cable's uses. It is completely different from the tuner's we have in our TVs. ATI has a new chip that can able to handle this one also, and maybe they will include that one instead of Rage Theater 200 in the next AIW. But with the current setup, the only choice I guess is taking the input from the composite input :(

One of my friend told me about a device that he attached to his cheap 17" TV. With this device, when you change a channel with the TV remote, the TV signals the cable box to change the channel (the device is simply an IR transmitter). Although it would look lame, ATI could also do something like that. Of course, there is also a serial port in our computers mostly sitting idle. It can also be used to communicate with the cable box. I guess the market is not large enough for ATI to add this functionality to their AIW line :(

Thanks again...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.. Sorry I can only check the messages and reply nights. Anyway, here are answers to the questions.

I am perfectly happy with 1 PCI/1 AGP configuration, so micro-atx is not a problem. However, an on-board ethernet is a must. I also plan to utilize one of the USB ports for wireless connection. I am also a little cost conscious. I am planning to built a powerful tower for my self when the 939 pin Athlon's comes out, so I just want to build a computer around 500$ and then use it as HTPC.

Thanks for the links btw. Especially the one which talks about the custom-build HTPC is pretty nice... The cases are also pretty nice, however most of them are very expensive...

About the dell machine: a 2.0 Ghz Celeron would handle most of the current PVR functionality without any problem, but I doubt that it will be enough when we can be able to record HDTV content in the future. I just would like to buy a CPU that I do not need to change in the future (Though gfx card might change :) )

And about the "OpenCable" thing: I guess the problem is the modulation format that the digital cable's uses. It is completely different from the tuner's we have in our TVs. ATI has a new chip that can able to handle this one also, and maybe they will include that one instead of Rage Theater 200 in the next AIW. But with the current setup, the only choice I guess is taking the input from the composite input :(

One of my friend told me about a device that he attached to his cheap 17" TV. With this device, when you change a channel with the TV remote, the TV signals the cable box to change the channel (the device is simply an IR transmitter). Although it would look lame, ATI could also do something like that. Of course, there is also a serial port in our computers mostly sitting idle. It can also be used to communicate with the cable box. I guess the market is not large enough for ATI to add this functionality to their AIW line :(

Thanks again...

Here's one I think you might like, probably has the best functionality of any Media Center PC. Unfortunately, it isn't quite available yet, (at least not in the states), but I think that it probably will be within the next few weeks.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/12/05&pages=A6&seq=27
The Mega 180 is a combination of PC, stereo, MP3 player and DVD/VCD player. In addition to an AMD Athlon XP processor, the Mega 180 features an Nvidia nForce 2 integrated chipset, an LCM panel and a radio tuner. For accessories, MSI offers a remote control, speakers, wireless mouse and keyboard, and an AM/FM antenna.

It uses the NForce 2, and so it has both integrated ethernet as well as sound. Also, this one will be able to function as a MP3, CD, VCD, DVD, and Radio tuner without having to power on the system.

MSI_180.jpg

Or you could wait till the second quarter when they release the AMD Athlon 64 version and take care of everything at once.

BTW, while many of these SFF cases seem expensive, keep in mind that they include the motherboard and in many cases, (no pun), they offer additional functionality to them. Hope this helps you out.

yeah, usually the SFF cases include case, motherboard, PSU, some sort of low-profile cooler, card reader, and then a TV-tuner or special features or something.

so, yeah, you could a normal case, PSU, and mobo for about $160, so you are definitely paying a premium for the small size. I've heard pretty good things abot that MSI case, though, so it's worth checking out. plus, the Barton 2500+ is a fantastic deal.

doesn't Shuttle have a SFF A64 box out, though?

Clashman said:
Here's one I think you might like, probably has the best functionality of any Media Center PC. Unfortunately, it isn't quite available yet, (at least not in the states), but I think that it probably will be within the next few weeks.

Well, they look really good, but the case is not suitable for a HTPC setup unfortunately. The SFF are nice to put on the table next to a monitor, but not when you integrate them into an existing home theather setup.

ASUS has a better product in that respect, but I do not need most of its features either. Just a nice desktop case and good motherboard is all I need 8)

Clashman said:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/12/05&pages=A6&seq=27
The Mega 180 is a combination of PC, stereo, MP3 player and DVD/VCD player. In addition to an AMD Athlon XP processor, the Mega 180 features an Nvidia nForce 2 integrated chipset, an LCM panel and a radio tuner. For accessories, MSI offers a remote control, speakers, wireless mouse and keyboard, and an AM/FM antenna.

It uses the NForce 2, and so it has both integrated ethernet as well as sound. Also, this one will be able to function as a MP3, CD, VCD, DVD, and Radio tuner without having to power on the system.

MSI_180.jpg

Or you could wait till the second quarter when they release the AMD Athlon 64 version and take care of everything at once.

BTW, while many of these SFF cases seem expensive, keep in mind that they include the motherboard and in many cases, (no pun), they offer additional functionality to them. Hope this helps you out.

That thing is sweet! Now if it only had two PCI slots.... :cry:

Why do you need two? It's got built in Surround Sound and Ethernet. I suppose if you wanted a wireless ethernet PCI card and an ATI AIW, but I think you could do the ethernet via USB or something. Anyways, I'm holding out until later in the year when they put out their A64 version. That thing will be kickass.

Also possibly looking at one of these, (once again holding out hope for a64), which also has the instant MP3/CD/DVD AV Mode and a remote:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/mimiq/miniqion.htm

BLACK.jpg

Actually, I have decided I could use 3 PCI cards!

1. M-Audio Revolution. If anyone can recommend me a better CONSUMER LEVEL sound card, I'm all ears. And please don't say Soundstorm (or Audigy 2 for that matter) - there is absolutely no comparison in quality!

2. HDTV Free to Air Tuner card

3. Possibly an analogue tuner/capture card. Not sure if I would use it though. Could also throw a HDTV Satellite card in here :).

I could ditch the Revolution if I didn't have analog speakers, but I do, so that's not an option atm. Might look into getting one of those Creative decoders (DDTs-100), which I guess would allow me to use the SP/DIF onboard.

So I guess I could get away with one PCI slot, but that would require me to upgrade my speaker system (more money!)

I don't think I like the Jetway one as much as the MSI one, btw. Just MHO.

elroy said:
1. M-Audio Revolution. If anyone can recommend me a better CONSUMER LEVEL sound card, I'm all ears. And please don't say Soundstorm (or Audigy 2 for that matter) - there is absolutely no comparison in quality!

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1?

I wouldn't say there's "absolutely no comparison" between the Revo and the A2. The Revo takes it but they're reasonably close, IMHO.

MuFu.

Back