No net, no puter, no fun - a desperate cry for help

Did you ever do this man? It most likely is the problem. I had this on 3 motherboards in the last two weeks. One was an asus p4t-533c one a shuttle m31n one a hmmm I forget anyway you get the idea.
Asus mobos are the worst about a mobo not posting up with a weak or dead battery. I have had many systems with Asus mobos with this problem but its a cheap fix. I wish Asus will remove this bug because most don't know about this and think they have a dead mobo. I fix alot of computers here and some are stupid problems like dead batterys but most are hardware failures that need repair or replacing.

The real sade thing is I have fix systems with a dead battery and the system has gone to CompUSA/Geeksquad/and many others saying the mobo is shot. Makes me LOL every time I get one of these systems and the nightmare the owner goes through from the smart so called PC techs out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a mobo with a dead battery that I thought was a bad mobo, 'til someone taught me to lick the mobo battery to see if it makes a tingle on me tongue.

It might sound gross, but it's a great quick way to check if you got a bum battery or not. ;)

I've had some ASRock MBs that were DOA (or within minutes), but all the ones I sold are still rock solid.

I had a mobo with a dead battery that I thought was a bad mobo, 'til someone taught me to lick the mobo battery to see if it makes a tingle on me tongue.

It might sound gross, but it's a great quick way to check if you got a bum battery or not. ;)
Its a quick way to see if the battery is dead or not. You don't have to lick it but touch the back edge of the battety with you tongue. Its just like a 9V battery but not as shocking.

Its a quick way to see if the battery is dead or not. You don't have to lick it but touch the back edge of the battety with you tongue. Its just like a 9V battery but not as shocking.

You know... I've done this with a bunch of dfferent batteries over the years... but anything on the inside of my computers is the last thing I'd lick. ;p

wow, are mobos so crappy they can't work without a battery?
I remember dead batteries in the 486 and pentium era, all that meant was you lost CMOS when powering off the computer.

Back