Help me build a DIY stereoscope

DaveJes1979

Newcomer
I've been trying to figure out the best way to view 1920x1200 (or 1080p) video stereoscopically. But CRT's (even good ones) don't operate at the necessary 120Hz at that resolution to allow for shutter glasses. And good luck trying to find a projector that does 1080p for under $10,000 (for only one of the 2 needed projectors!) if you want to get the polarized route.

The best way I could think of is to buy two 1920x1200 Dell LCD monitors and build my own stereoscope to view them using the standard side-by-side method.

But I only know a little bit about optics (yes, I have sketched out the basic geometry of the setup, using 90 deg. paths) , and I certainly don't know where to get the supplies I need to build my own stereoscope that will let me view images that are approx. 20" apart (from center to center). I know of a few places I can get first surface mirrors, but don't know where to find mounts/bracketry and comfortable eyepieces (preferably ones that let you wear normal glasses while viewing).

Any help here? I've had a terrible time trying to find eyepieces especially. It'd be even better if I could find eyepieces w/ 90 degree mirrors already installed. Thanks if anyone can help.

---------------------------------------

Left Monitor Right Monitor
l l
l l
\-------------/ \-----------/
l l
left eye right eye

Back