Help! 98 crashed and problems in XP

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
My PC has 98 (c:)+XP (d:) combo. Few days ago my niece was playing games (emulators) on it and he was basically doing bouton mashing. After he left, I switched ON the PC and to my horror c: just went dead, even XP won't start. Then I loaded last good config for XP and it some got started but XP was extremely Slow.
Yesterday I got 98 startup disk and booted. It seems that the problem is in c:, I can scandisk d: but not c:, it shows some error. When I do dir c:, it does show the files and directories but it hangs at the bottom of listing and shows some error.
Can anyone diagnose what has happened and how can I fix it?
BTW, if I re-install 98 (c:), would it solve the problem and do I need to take a backup first. Is there a way to repair 98?

Deepak said:
It seems that the problem is in c:, I can scandisk d: but not c:, it shows some error.

Which error?

Maybe your HDD has some faulty sectors. Try looking for some repair tools on your HDD manufacturers page. If the HDD is indeed damaged, you can save your data with the GetDataBack utility before you start fiddling around with repair tools.

_xxx_ said:
Deepak said:
It seems that the problem is in c:, I can scandisk d: but not c:, it shows some error.

Which error?

Not an error actually, it simply can't access c:. Using 98 boot disk I can go into c: and copy/paste anything to/from it, but when I say dir it shows contents and then hangs for few seconds before saying c: is not accessible or something like that.

What does fdisk /mbr do?

Is C: a different harddisk or just a partition?

You might want to check the cables first, and then check the BIOS to see if it thinks there is a harddisk attached. If that all checks out, a tool like PartitionMagic might tell you more. But try not to make changes before you know what is wrong, as you might lose all data.

It is a partition. I think he might have deleted some system files while button mashing the KB. I checked the autoexec.bat and config.sys files on C:, both are 0 byte. All cables are connected properly, BOIS does show the HDD.

If I re-install 98, will that erase data on C:?

Deepak said:
What does fdisk /mbr do?

mbr = master boot record. If you don't know what you're doing, don't fiddle around with that. Rewrites the mbr.

Here some MS copy&paste:
Using FDISK /MBR for Troubleshooting Windows NT Boot Problems
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 166454
Last Review : May 14, 2003
Revision : 2.0
This article was previously published under Q166454
SUMMARY
In Microsoft Windows NT, using the MS-DOS FDISK /MBR command is not always appropriate when you cannot boot a computer. The problem is that the command rewrites the master boot record (MBR) only, and not the entire boot record. The FDISK /MBR command rewrites only the first 446 bytes of the master boot record, not the partition table. Windows NT disk signatures used for fault tolerance are also overwritten, and if the drive contained an FT member, it may not be recognized by Windows NT as an FT member afterward.

If a drive is infected with a Stealth virus, the partition table and pointers have been offset. The offset pointer is contained in the MBR. Using the FDISK /MBR command on the computer refreshes the MBR--the pointer to the partition table is lost, as is the ability to boot. The only possible solution is to reinfect the drive and then try to remove the virus again using Fdisk or anti-virus software.

The only time that the FDISK /MBR command is effective against a virus is if it is a boot-sector-only virus (such as the Stoned virus).

If the sector is infected, recovery cannot be guaranteed. If the FDISK /MBR command is used and a Stealth virus is present, the computer can most likely not be recovered because the offsets are not constant.

Examples of Stealth viruses include:
• NY Bomber or NYB
• Stealth.B
• Hare
• Monkey.B
MORE INFORMATION
If you receive any of the following messages on a blue screen when you are booting Windows NT, you need to check for a virus:

0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
0x0000008F MBR_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
(0x4,0,0,0)

When these symptoms occur, the first step is to run a virus scan. F-Prot, Norton, McAfee, and Dr. Soloman are programs that are commonly used and all have shareware downloads on the Internet. If one of these does not indicate a virus, try one of the others.

Other symptoms can include the following:
• The error message "Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \<WINN ROOT>\COMPUTER32\NTOSKRNL.EXE."
• A black screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left corner.
TO protect yourself before using the FDISK /MBR command or cleaning the virus from the disk using an anti-virus inoculation program, you can use the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit tool named Disksave.exe. This is an MS- DOS-based tool that you can use to back up the MBR and save it to a floppy disk. In the event that the inoculation of the virus also deletes the partition table, you can restore the MBR using Disksave.exe, and then try a different method of removing the virus.

Another option for protecting yourself is to boot from an MS-DOS disk and run Norton DiskEdit to view the partition table entries. The entries displayed are those from the indexed location from the active virus. Record the values that are displayed. If, after inoculation, the partition table entries are destroyed, you can manually type the recorded values and restore the partition table values to valid entries (but without the virus).

For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
ARTICLE-ID: 69013 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013/EN-US/)
TITLE : FDISK /MBR Rewrites the Master Boot Record

Is it because the C: drice is an NTFS partition? I don't think the 98 Bootdisk can work with NTFS partitions. I would trying booting up with your XP Installation CD (if you don'thave one....than possibly..downloaa..errrr). If you boot up with XP just run the recovery console.

Worse case scenario is your primary harddisk is dieing.

EDIT: With the XP Bootable CD you can go to the recover console and re-write a MBR and your boot yada yada (Forgot the name). I had to do that when I installed FC3 (Fedora Core 3) and installed Lilo on the MBR of my Primary Harddisk....

No it is FAT32. Someone told me that it could have some bad sectors which are unrepairable. I tried formatting C: but it showed an error after completing 26% "not enough memory". I remember my niece shuting down the PC directly from UPS, that could be one reason. Is there a chance that my HDD could be damaged? Is there a tool which can confirm it?

May be I should get a new HDD. Suggest me a good quality HDD.

and next time dont have your XP account/admin used. Make sure its to a user with very low permissions. The noway you get a wierd combo of keys that blow up your install.

OK, so I bought a new HDD (Seagate Barracuda 80GB, 7200RPM).
About my old HDD (Seagate 40GB, 7200RPM), if it has bad sectors, will it continue to work after I format it? Can it still be trusted? Should I continue to store my data on it?

Now I have few questions about my new HDD:

1.Now I have four IDE devices (2 HDDs + 1 DVD/CDWriter + 1 CDROM). How to divide them as primary/secondary master/slave devices? HDDs as primary M/S and optical drives as secondary M/S?

2.Should I again opt for dual boot OS? WinXP and 98 or WinXP only? I am leaning towards XP only as I rarely used 98 on my old HDD.

3.NTFS or FAT32? My old HDD is FAT32.

4.I just read this about FAT32 that "Volumes from 512 MB to 2 TB. In Windows XP, you can format a FAT32 volume up to 32 GB only."....means what? And also "Maximum file size is 4 GB.", means that I can't have file size bigger than 4GB?

5.Is NTFS worth it?

6.How many partitions? Maybe one 10GB partition for XP, and rest for storing data?

Deepak said:
OK, so I bought a new HDD (Seagate Barracuda 80GB, 7200RPM).
About my old HDD (Seagate 40GB, 7200RPM), if it has bad sectors, will it continue to work after I format it? Can it still be trusted? Should I continue to store my data on it?

An IDE drive already uses 10-15% of the total capacity for swapping out bad sectors. So, if you have even one bad sector on an IDE drive, there already are more than 10% of bad sectors and the capacity of the drive to fix them is gone. So it's broken and you should throw it away.

3.NTFS or FAT32? My old HDD is FAT32.

4.I just read this about FAT32 that "Volumes from 512 MB to 2 TB. In Windows XP, you can format a FAT32 volume up to 32 GB only."....means what? And also "Maximum file size is 4 GB.", means that I can't have file size bigger than 4GB?

5.Is NTFS worth it?

Yes, a FAT32 partition can only be at most 32 GB. You can make larger ones, but they will show lots of strange errors.

NTFS offers more possibilities but the only things that can write it are Windows 2000 and XP. So, it would be wise to have at least one FAT32 partition to store important data, setups, ghost images and recovery tools.

If you use a Ghost image (highly recommendend), you should save all your data to another drive than C: and if you want the best recovery possibilities, that should be FAT32. The size of the C: drive is determined by all the applications you want to have installed any one time. But I recommend to store the setups (or cd images) on the harddisk for all software and use those to install stuff on demand. That way, it won't bother you to restore your ghost image.

If you don't put stuff in "My documents", but store it on a logical location on your data disk, it's easy to backup. The only things that stay there, are your mail and your favorites. I back those up with a batch file or such. Just have copy the respective folders when you start your computer automatically.

6.How many partitions? Maybe one 10GB partition for XP, and rest for storing data?

If you do all that, it is easiest to divide your drive(s) like this:

C: (System) NTFS, about 30 GB
D: (Data) FAT32, 30 GB
E: (Extra) NTFS, the rest

Other drives can be partitioned as a single NTFS partition if you really make good backups, otherwise you might want to give them a FAT32 partition as well, and copy your important data to one of those regulary.

And I recommend you make a boot disk (Win98), and put all the stuff you need in case someting happens on that.

Can I access files from FAT32 partition to NFTS and vice-versa. I an not a high end user. My machine is standalone, not connected to internet or any LAN. So may be I should have new disk in NTFS and old in FAT32?

So I have used FAT32 for boot partition, might revert to NTFS later. Is there a free data recovery tool available? Bec'se using 98 startup disk, I can't use xcopy command.

Yes, you can access both FAT32 and NTFS from Windows. The problems start when something goes wrong. At that moment, you want to be able to do things to correct the problems and if it is really bad, to be able to copy your data. And for both of those, you need a FAT32 partition for the data.

Look here for some great stuff about bootdisks. Or better: boot CD's, with everything on it you might want and need. I would upload a very nice boot CD image if I could, but some of the stuff on the ones I use is commercial software. So you need to make one yourself.

You mostly need two things: a C: drive or partition with Windows, which works best when NTFS, and a data drive or partition that is FAT32. Install Windows on C:, but don't install additional stuff like games, and if everything works like it should, make a drive image.

Put the disk image of your C: drive and all the utilities you need on a boot CD, like Bart shows, and when something does go wrong, you can fix it.

Back