Heavenly Sword (wow)

Yeah, for me too, the aftertouch was one of the gameplay's biggest draws. It was something I've never played with before and I thorougly enjoyed it - both the arrow / cannon levels and throwing around swords, shields and even enemies at enemies. I want more of that! :)

Exactly ! the only thing I remeber after the game is how fun it was to guide arrows and gaurds through the air. PLaying as Kai was a lot more fun, felt like a sniper with bullet-pathbending controls ! :D No, seriously, aftertouch was a very welcome feature and I had a discussion with my (engine Developer) friend on how the addition of just one feature has upped the gameplay so much. I liked HS mainly for the aftertouch controls.

But , it was overdone in a lot of the parts.Like, when playing as Kai, we are shooting gaurds while Nariko's father crosses the path.While it was fun initially, but the level offered nothing else.All, we could do was sit there and shoot more gaurds.They could have atleast given us the option to change our position to better snipe gaurds or something so that we don't feel stuck there. Just a little part , where the gaurds take a break from rushing in, could have been provided so that we can take Kai to a new Sniping location and continue shooting would have brought in the required variety and kept the fun fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its definitely an excellent game with some great graphics. I was a little disappointed in the fighting mechanics though this is where NG and DMC excels but the graphics are better in HS but with half the framerate and some tearing. Iam hoping for a sequel.

I think the biggest problem of this game is that I felt like it had maybe 3h of content, but it took about 5.5 to get through, but only because they had put 3x too many enemies in each encounter. I still had fun playing it and it certainly was pretty.

Aftertouch was fun for the first playthrough and until I got all the medal points for those levels on Hell mode, after that those levels got a bit boring and I havent replayed them at all. They are too long with too little happening. Still I liked the aftertouch but the level design for those sections doesnt work after you've played them through a couple times.

However the "tilt the controller upwards to perform an aerial combo" is still to this day the best use of sixaxis motion control in any game IMO, just perfect.

One thing I would've liked to be added to the game would've been one higher difficulty level after "Hell" where the enemies would take a lot more hits to kill (now all the fun ends way too quickly in every battle) and would be even more aggressive in their attacks against you.

Overall though I just love the game and it would be a huge shame if they never made a sequel for it.

I had a similar experience to you guys: I played through first time on normal button mashing my way through and having fun with aftertouch, and I assumed the combat was pretty basic and random then.

But then I played through most of it (still going...) on the harder level and I quickly became much more proficient at the combat to the point of not getting hit, consistently landing counters and bouncing back and forth between enemies in combos to keep 'em guessing ;)

But I'm still not bored of flying arrows with the sixaxis... to date this is the only thing that I've found fun at all with that controller feature, but it's still stupidly fun IMHO :)

So yeah HS was certainly a game that took a second play-through for me to fully appreciate. I still probably prefer God of War I/II more overall, but HS is definitely a great game.

Back