Health of Hair in Games *split hairs*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by chris1515, Jan 23, 2020.

1. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Splitting hairs on Beyond 3d? :shock::shock: :runaway::runaway:

Karamazov, Scott_Arm and London-boy like this.
  2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I'm thinking of something completely different. although I don't know how it'd be executed in a GPU. In real terms, hairs can always be drawn as thin-lines no matter what distance, so you could simulate a volume with something fluid-dynamicy, and use that as a mathematical basis for drawing lines through this volume.

3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

you need to sacrifice to have Pantene hair.

Still, when I played Tomb Raider on my laptop with a 1050Ti -now I only play on my desktop computer with a GTX 1080-, I disabled everything that made the game hit the 60fps mark save for the hair stuff. It's very well done in Tomb Raider, in fact I find it an essential feature, once you enable it, you don't want to disable it.

see colon and Xbat like this.
  4. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Sounds not so different. We share the idea to trace hair through a volume, just like in this Unity demo. (I know this is fast - on meshes i used very simple midpoint euler integration to trace curve trajectory and linear barycentric interpolation of the vertex vector field - no need for expensive bicubic filter, simple 3D texture lookup would work.)
    Maybe drawing many lines in compute is just as fast as using less lines and extruding them to a quad strip, for sure it would not look like Medusa at least. :)

But you can not do it with fluid dynamics alone, because it lacks constraints like preserving the length of a hair or bending resistance.
    Thus my proposal to simulate a few guide hairs with those constraints, and then fill the volume with guide hair segment direction vector. Really fast and no expensive fluid solver necessary (can't saturate so async or on CPU).

So far the only expensive part is lighting and rendering... thinking of it, drawing lines might be indeed less complex and faster, IDK.
    I'm also unsure if it needs self collision or if hair tends to 'stick together' like fluid? If so, fluid dynamics could help i guess.

I remember one scene at the beginning of Tomb Raider reboot. She was hanging upside down from the ceiling, but the pony tail did not hang down, it sticked upwards at her sholders. This really looked bad.
    So either let the center of volume swing at half hair length from the head, or make the volume twice as large just to support such cases or swimming under water.

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  5. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Looks great. Guess at this detail only in cutscenes?
    Seems just simulating a cards mesh. If this works for long female hair too, i would be happy with that and avoid more complicated tech, but i doubt it.

6. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Hmmm... edge case :)

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

IIRC, isn't TressFX entirely shader/compute based? In theory with enough compute you could do hair however you want. I guess the biggest problem is having it be efficient enough to be use in a game with all game systems running.

I haven't followed it enough to know why it isn't used in more games. Perhaps because it's too taxing on current gen consoles and on PC NV devel is much stronger than AMD.

Regardless, in the games that used it or modified versions of it, it has been really impressive. Maybe we'll see it used more in the next console gen.

Regards,
    SB

8. DavidGraham

Veteran

On PC, the only broad option we have is HairWorks, it used to work through CUDA, but then NVIDIA translated it through DirectCompute, it's it's done using Tessellation, it's real focus nowadays is simulating fur on multiple animals, human hair is rarely simulated. It was used for only 5 games:

-The Witcher 3 (fur and hair)
    -Call Of Duty Ghosts (fur)
    -Far Cry 4 (fur)
    -Final Fantasy 15 (fur)
    -Metro Exodus (fur)

TressFX was made by AMD through Compute as well, it was used mainly for hair in two games:

-Tomb Raider 2003
    -Lichdom Battlemage

It was then modified by developers into a tech called PureHair (a dumbed down version that can work on consoles), it was used in three games:

-Rise of Tomb Raider
    -Shadow of Tomb Raider
    -Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Horizon Zero Dawn also modified TressFX into something else that suited their engine and target platform.

https://cargocollective.com/Lithvall/Horizon-Zero-Dawn

turkey, Cyan, Shifty Geezer and 4 others like this.
  9. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

I think that if next gen games simply sprinkle a few strands of individually simulated hairs on top of the classic ribon cards system, that would be enough to fool us into thinking the whole hair is properly simulated at an individual level. That plus the density and number of cards inevitably continuing to increase.

10. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Are you sure?
    upload_2020-1-26_21-7-30.png

11. upnorthsox

Veteran

The dev time that went into that, no wonder next gen will be a waste of time.

12. upnorthsox

Veteran

Personally, I just want to be able to brush Aloy's hair at the campfires. A My Little Aloy would be so.....therapeutic, especially after fighting a T-Rex.

13. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Why you got to make T-Rex the villain?

14. Frenetic Pony

Regular Newcomer

All just sounds like the raymarched LOD already presented last year, which seems to work very well: https://anteru.net/files/2019/rthhr.pdf

I'd suspect a compact neural net might be a much better fit for sim though, no performance screeching fluid dynamics at the cost of extra ram and "good enough" results sounds well worth it.

Combined with advances in hair brdf, hopefully that neat fur brdf will translated to some realtime hack soon, perhaps hair and fur won't look like either a flickery, noisy, stiff mess of planes or a weirdly soft and fuzzy volumetric look of fins and shells come this next generation.

JoeJ and orangpelupa like this.
  15. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Kinect killer app

Or ps camera killer app? It already allow you to touch stuff in the playroom app

16. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

I wasn't thinking of cardboard hair for the main volume, but rather the pretty decent stuff we've been getting in titles like death stranding, RE, etc...

#36 milk, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020