Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote & PS Eye *

If you have the Wiimote by the TV and the LED bar on your head, how are you going to control the game? If you have a Wiimote in your hand, you need an LED bar by the TV for point tracking. You could go without that and just use standard controls but the gameplay of Boom-Blox depends on it.

If you have the Wiimote by the TV and the LED bar on your head, how are you going to control the game? If you have a Wiimote in your hand, you need an LED bar by the TV for point tracking. You could go without that and just use standard controls but the gameplay of Boom-Blox depends on it.

That's the thing though isn't it? If you have a Wii-mote in your hand, you're always going to have that LED bar by the TV. That's standard Wii gear, enabeling it to act as a pointing device. Comes packed in with the Wii ... And allows you to interface with at least up to four Wii-motes at once even for pointing purposes.

Well, maybe you're right then. But right now, I still don't see why it is necessary, and why this $9 widget can't just as well be another Wii-mote. If I can calculate the distance from point A (Wii-mote) to two points B (Sensor Bar) and know my position, then surely I know it both ways?

Then again if the widget thing just costs $9, it's a lot more convenient then having a Wii-mote strapped to your head, so that makes the point moot anyway. ;)

Ah, right. I didn't even contemplate that idea because it looks too silly! Do you think people strapping a Wiimote to their heads would ever take off?

Ah, right. I didn't even contemplate that idea because it looks too silly! Do you think people strapping a Wiimote to their heads would ever take off?

Ha ha, maybe not, but if you have the game, and you've got two Wiimotes, you can try it without having to order anything from Amazon. Especially since it's apparently more of an Easter Egg anyway, it would make it more likely to be tried out, and seen the potential of (or not).

I hope that someone will use PS Eye to create some ql VR thingy. Lets hope that mr. Kojima still has some time to implement it. [water hose + girls in bikinis, just like in MPO :D]

I think considering how SPEs have been used, maybe if they can spare one for face recognition/motion tracking on the PS Eye, it could be very interesting. But we'll have to wait and see who picks up that Gauntlett. Still, if Sony figured out the code and hands it out for free, who knows? It could be relatively cheap to pull off?

vrnerdtl1.png

Or they could just include some LED glasses. They shouldn't be too expensive, nor will you look silly. Or maybe something like an earphone hooked up to the side of your ears.

As per the article, some headgear for $9 seems to be required. Not sure why they mention Amazon though. Is whatever headgear they want already available?

As per the article, some headgear for $9 seems to be required. Not sure why they mention Amazon though. Is whatever headgear they want already available?

The cheap bastards couldn't even put a little freebie into the game. I'm thinking of something like an ear piece tucked at the side. No need for glass frames or anything. It'll just look like a glowing hearing aid.

It's an Easter Egg rather than a game feature. If they put hardware in at a hit to profits, they'd need to make more of it.That does the question why they don't make more of it?!

I was thinking something along the line of a pre-order bonus than a real pack-in. Still, if they made something that used the feature in a more meaningful way, packing something with the game could drive sales. See WiiPlay.

Video not available in Canada, The U.K., And Japan. Sorry! IPs are blocked. :devilish: Why just us?!

Really weird indeed. Maybe some kind of deal they have, but it's still weird.

Anyway, I could see it here, and basically, it's just like all the others, except you see it do the same thing that these cameras can do first, locating a head and face, locking onto one, and then doing the same kind of thing. Seems to work fairly well, although it stops for a moment each time a new face comes into view - but considering all the stuff going on in the background (mostly people walking all over the place) it seemed to be doing quite well and already seems like it could be put into games straight away.

Darn you posted it before I did.
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2654.html

PS3 head tracking based on facial recognition, so without IR glasses adding cost.
Additionally it seems to be able to track separate faces.
So technically you could have a split screen 3D display.
The only danger in head-to-head competition is that it could quite literal become head-to-head in your living room.

Something of note about the IR glasses.
It would requite a lot less processing load to use the IR solution.
Additionally if instead of just two temple points, they should use two temple and two brows.

Why?
Because the arced frame would allow more accurate tracking or nodding, distance, and head turning.
The Playstation Eye 2 would also allow for simultaneous physical and vocal interaction.

In the distant future people using HOME could have facial avaters.
Similar to the cartoon, Bruno the Kid.
Where your face and voice are copied and changed to match an avatar.
Video/Voice chatting and in game co-op could be dramatically altered by this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back