Haswell vs Kaveri

Even lower GPU clock frequencies? 2x the performance of IVB GT2 is surreal. CPU-world told 50-100%, let's say 75% average. I bet this applies to 47/57W variants. I guess we won't see more than +50% average for a 15W GT3 version. Broadwell in 14nm should give them much more room regarding power and also important die size.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was worded bad, but he intended that when run with low settings that are in the range of ivy bridge, it consumes half the power compared to ib

It was worded bad, but he intended that when run with low settings that are in the range of ivy bridge, it consumes half the power compared to ib

half the power for same performance, that is, or same power for twice the performance

Anandtech reconfirms the 128MiB onboard-cache for HSW GT3, already mentioned by Phoronix.
According to Charlie it is DDR3-1066 connected with 512-Bit -> 68GB/s.

This might boost the resulting BW somewhere over 128-Bit DDR3 solutions. Hopefully Kaveri might offer something similar.

From ExtremeTech: "AMD executives have forgotten how to run a company."

Rumors we’ve heard — and they are, let us stress, just rumors — are that AMD’s Kaveri tapeout was significantly delayed. If true, this would likely push the chip’s volume launch back into 2014. Worst-case, it means AMD’s first 28nm APU would launch against Broadwell, not Haswell.

Kabini is reportedly on a better track, and could still see the light of day by mid-to-later 2013, assuming AMD survives at all.

From the Anandtech article, it looks like Haswell has a much smaller jump in performance in mobile applications, or at least on battery power - I hope. The bigger jump is on desktop. Interesting, since I would expect that more desktops have discrete GPUs.

From the Anandtech article, it looks like Haswell has a much smaller jump in performance in mobile applications, or at least on battery power - I hope. The bigger jump is on desktop. Interesting, since I would expect that more desktops have discrete GPUs.

On the contrary, it's only mobile SKUs that are getting the GT3 IGP configuration. That comparison is probably for the ULV range (10-15W) vs laptop range (35W-55W). They're probably just hitting the walls of their space/performance trade-off in the lower voltages/frequencies.

Haswell vs Piledriver and Broadwell vs Kaveri then or what? That's not looking good for AMD.

Piledriver is CPU codename, not APU codename.
If Kaveri gets pushed back, it would be Trinity vs Haswell.

And according to the link, it is Richland, not Kaveri. What's the difference?
And btw, Vishera are the last true CPUs from AMD, everything beyond should have APU nature... :rolleyes:

And according to the link, it is Richland, not Kaveri. What's the difference?
And btw, Vishera are the last true CPUs from AMD, everything beyond should have APU nature... :rolleyes:

For what I've understood, "Richland" is Trinity with new chipset, Bolton, while Trinity uses Hudson

Back