Haswell vs Kaveri

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by AnarchX, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

There aren't many Iris Pro laptops because its pricing doesn't make any sense. Right now the difference is down to $60, but I remember Intel charging almost $150 between a GT2 mobile i7 and its GT3e brethren.
    That was enough to get a much faster GK106 or GM107 in there. Even nowadays, it's probably still cheaper to get a GT2 i7 with a GK107 with dedicated GDDR5.

What bothers me is that there are now loads of laptops carrying a Core i5/i3 with a Geforce GT720 or GT820 and their performance is similar to the FX7600P, total power consumption should be higher and the price should at least match it. Yet I haven't seen a single 7600P laptop in the market.

2. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Sadly, it seems that AMD has been relegated to the bottom performance bin by both manufacturers and consumers alike.

Sure, those of us in the know would understand the benefit of the 7600p, but t the layman sees the AMD logo and is now automatically presuming less-than-Intel performance. The presumption is not true, but I believe the customer opinion is.

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I think that has been the prevailing layman customer option forever frankly. Intel advertises about a billion times better.

4. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

Like I said, unless you work for an OEM don't presume to know the "real" prices (and even then, the deals are usually different depending on the OEM as far as I understand it). Upselling hardware is a major source of OEM profit so those deltas are not indicative of the real BOM costs.

Yeah the low end discrete stuff (GTx10, GTx20) is the most questionable IMO as sometimes it's not even much faster than the integrated graphics, if at all. I'm told that in that price range it's all about the sticker (brand), a fact which seems validated by a number of recent cases where folks haven't even realized that they were not using the discrete graphics in a hybrid config, etc. Ultimately power/performance are not the relevant things in that segment of the market.