Haswell vs Kaveri

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by AnarchX, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I.S.T.

Veteran

2. jimbo75

Veteran

The bias the tech sites are showing over this is staggering. I don't think I've seen a single site bar xbit mention the Broadwell delay yet they are all falling over themselves to go on and on about Kaveri.

3. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

I thought Kaveri was supposed to come out well in advance of Broadwell, no? I think they're just picking it up because Kaveri is/was supposed to be coming out really soon, whereas Broadwell is still a little ways off.

Anyways, you have a link on the Broadwell delay? Is it just the vrzone thing?

4. jimbo75

Veteran

Yep from Intel roadmaps -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What bugs me about this is we're talking a week or two for AMD (AMD still maintains Kaveri ships this year) while Intels is a slip of a half, which could be a lot more. Sometimes I wish AMD would just stop giving out their roadmaps altogether, fuck the press.

5. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

To be fair, it's not as if Intel badly needed Broadwell to become competitive, which is probably why people don't care that much about its delay.

6. Wynix

Veteran Regular

This and what Andrew said is pretty much the reason.

7. jimbo75

Veteran

I think that the press is really milking this for a lot more than what it's worth. We had one comment from Lisa Su in January this year saying that Kaveri would launch at the end of this year. Since then we've had various AMD sources saying it would ship by the end of this year.

By this stage of the year there is no point in launching a chip before CES anyway, and the industry guys should know that. Any actual delay is counted in weeks at the most, yet it's being made out to be something much worse? Do you remember this fuss over the 2 month Ivy Bridge delay, or Haswell?

8. grndzro

Newcomer

Steamroller IPC is very close to Thuban and with the new instruction sets, and +1ghz clock speed, and 1 more core, and faster DDR3, it should pull quite ahead of Phenom II X6.

9. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

One more core?

The X6 had 6 cores, as the name indicates. Kaveri only has 4.

10. Wynix

Veteran Regular

Are you saying each core has the same IPC at equal frequencies?

11. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

You'll be very happy to know that your favorite unbiased websites, such as Anandtech, Hardocp, and Guru3D don't even have it on their front page right now.

I remember as little fuss as there is today about Kaveri. Though I agree with others that it is a much bigger deal for AMD than for Intel. The latter can delay their full roadmap by a year and they'd still be ahead.

12. grndzro

Newcomer

Ouch my bad.

Steamroller +20% over piledriver should put the IPC near Thuban.

13. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

IPC is a relatively vague term (and apparently an Internet rage). There are things that even old BD does better than any K8L derivative, however those are not dominant in many (any?) relevant scenarios, and the cache hierarchy on BD is quite dingy thus making things even worse. I would still expect K8Ls to be better than SR in certain scenarios, clock-for-clock, albeit by perhaps a lower margin. Also, once again, what has us convinced that there's this out of band boost of single-threaded perf with SR? Expecting it to blow things out of the park might be unrealistic. That being said, the rumblings about quad-channel are interesting, it would make for a pretty neat dev-box if that is true.

14. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

15. Wynix

Veteran Regular

16. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Or embedded GDDR5..

17. DSC

DSC
    Banned

18. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Planet3Dnow uncovered some interesting details about upcoming desktop Kaveri chip!
    http://www.planet3dnow.de/cms/?p=3279&preview=true

They show few scores from SiSoftSandra for 13CU(!!) version and to add confusion there are screens showing benchmark detecting 64bit DDR3 memory as well as 256bit DDR3 memory ...
    I know it might be just a bug on SiSoft or BIOS part but still :smile:

Possible scores for Kaveri SPECTRE DESKTOP 100W (1305) Radeon M5 R200 832SP 600MHz

19. AnarchX

Veteran

Benchmark details say 1 device / 2 threads. So its probably some kind of Crossfire. An added Hainan (5CU) could explain the strange 13 CUs for this setup. Other Crossfire setups are recognized as 2 devices, but Hainan without display outputs could be recognized different.

Hainan with HSA capabilities could also explain the sense of another GPU below the 77mm² Oland/Mars.

20. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I don't know if this is actually new information, but I've just noticed on ASRock's website a statement that one of their FM2+ motherboards…

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A75M Pro4+/ (emphasis mine)

It's not earth-shattering, but if the fastest Kaveri is a 95W chip, that's a good sign, I think.