Halo: Reach

Klocker!!!! We should play again. That was fun the other day. I'm becoming an Invasion addict.

NRRRRRP!

absolutely... have not played invasion as much due to it definitely being better suited for teammates IMO... so that would be cool

NRP is correct. They are doing Invasion games that way strictly for data gathering. Full game is alternating Offense/defense.

[...]

that's great news. i could actually see myself enjoying this mode for quite some time. especially because it is not very susceptible to "playlist luck". as long as they keep it invasion + invasion slayer only and don't think it would be fancy to add invasion 1 flag ctf :LOL:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=26366

Bungie put out an excellent guide to playing Reach, some great tips in there.

It turns out crouching actually does lead to an accuracy boost.

And the NR is full auto! Which means it's more versatile than the DMR, as it's easier to use at close range without headshots (only 3 needles to supercombine, vs 4 body shots with the DMR).

It's amazing that Bungie seems to have knowingly made the pistol the best overall gun in the game (excluding power weapons), like it was in H1 (though not as broken).

Actually I love the Reach sandbox and weapon balance, it is brilliant much better than H3 which was already better than most shooters, in Reach every gun really does have a niche. Even the AR; I was looking at the inner crosshair the other day and it is really small - you could probably use it at quite a fair range if you burst fire.

I'm loving the needler for Invasion slayer when I'm an elite. I can't kill anything with the needler rifle, no matter how hard I try. I much prefer the DMR. Also, I can't kill anyone with the pistol, but I'm hoping that is due to the crappy reticle which makes aiming nearly impossible.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=26366

Bungie put out an excellent guide to playing Reach, some great tips in there.

wow,thanks.

reading that explains why I like Reach so much better than H3. Excellent improvements IMO. A lot of the haters are pissed that their old "stale" :LOL: tactics no longer work to control the battle. It takes a bit more to get the hang of and levels the playing field a bit. My most favorite of all is the reduction (damned near elimination) of bunny hopping for the most part. Adding the elites (which are a dream to play) was brilliant as well... this game is so much more fun to me and varied I can hardly wait now for the full release. Not to mention other armor abilities. :)

this is also interesting to note

He also notes that Armor Lock only EMPs when you exit out after holding it for a significant duration or if someone melees you, that Active Camo does not jam friendly radar, only your own, and that crouch walking increases the effectiveness and duration of Active Camo's cloak. "Slow and steady wins the race." - Urk

wow,thanks.

reading that explains why I like Reach so much better than H3. Excellent improvements IMO. A lot of the haters are pissed that their old "stale" :LOL: tactics no longer work to control the battle. It takes a bit more to get the hang of and levels the playing field a bit. My most favorite of all is the reduction (damned near elimination) of bunny hopping for the most part. Adding the elites (which are a dream to play) was brilliant as well... this game is so much more fun to me and varied I can hardly wait now for the full release. Not to mention other armor abilities. :)

this is also interesting to note

Also, another hot tip (well actually borderline cheating) useful when playing as Elites.

The BXB glitch is back, which basically means you can do a really fast double melee by pressing Melee, Reload and Melee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oPXh8gmiVs

According to the comments on that vid, it only works with weapons that don't need reloading ie. Plasma pistol, Plasma repeater, Focus rifle or if you hit reload on an empty clip with a regular gun.

Abuse it while it lasts, cos they're going to patch it in the final release.

Has anyone actually noticed an accuracy improvement while crouching? I tried it and didn't really notice any difference. Perhaps someone who snipes a lot, or is just generally a better shot than me can give it a try? Besides, there really isn't time to crouch and shoot most of the time.

Has anyone actually noticed an accuracy improvement while crouching? I tried it and didn't really notice any difference. Perhaps someone who snipes a lot, or is just generally a better shot than me can give it a try? Besides, there really isn't time to crouch and shoot most of the time.

I don't think it'll be like COD or BF where you see a substantial accuracy boost.
Does the minimum size of the reticle actually contract while crouched?
I would think crouching would just reduce the reticle bloom you get when firing, allowing you to shoot a little bit quicker.

update

thought this was interesting for those curious about gunplay

In a recent playtest, we picked up on a problem in the way our collision model was calculating headshots. Coupled with rumblings from the community regarding some inconsistencies in the Beta’s headshot capable weapons, we were able to identify an issue that you may have already experienced.

In certain circumstances, explicitly those where you would typically score a headshot in the lower range of the target zone (for the layman, that’d be the face and head region), we’ve discovered that bullets are impacting a few pixels lower than they should, plunging into the chest volume instead of the head. This often allows an unshielded opponent to remain upright after your crack shot should have taken the legs out from under ‘em.

Once again we’re reminded how potent a tool a Beta test can be. Having a teeming horde of ravenous players chew through our game makes identifying these nuanced issues possible. And while you may be gnashing your teeth while reading this paragraph, the good news is that this will definitely be resolved for the retail release in the fall. In fact, it’s already been fixed.

The bad news is that it won’t be fixed for the remainder of Beta. The best way for you to mitigate it on the fly is to aim slightly higher than you think you need to when you go up top. Right between the eyes or straight through the forehead will definitely get the job done. If that’s always been your modus operandi for years, you likely haven’t experienced the effects of this phenomenon. If you’re more into chin music, however, you might have noticed that it hasn’t been as sweet as it should have been in the Beta.

The great news is that you now have an excuse for why you’re not landing way more headshots. If you’re in Bronze or Steel, undoubtedly you’re actually an Onyx level player. If you’re Onyx, you’re like Painite or something. Pick a rare mineral and run with it.

also
Where was I? Oh, yeah. Spartans vs. Elites.

Yup, it’s unbalanced and totally unfair. Yup, it’s by design. Did we open it up just to see you scramble as a Spartan, secretly laughing after we pulled down on the lever and sent you out to die in the face of insurmountable odds? No. Well, maybe a little, but ultimately we are, as our fine community commentator quoted above correctly alludes to, gatherers of information. It’s simply, as Carney notes, “all for science!”

We already knew that Elites outclassed their Spartan counterparts in a variety of ways, but we are still interested in seeing just how big the gulf between the two species really is. Yeah, we have a handful of game modes that pit the two against one another in various forms of mortal combat, but we wanted to decouple the core brawling from all of the other external factors introduced by objectives, loadouts, map layouts, and vehicles. So, you get SvE Slayer. Native Spartans versus Au Naturel Elites.

In certain circumstances, explicitly those where you would typically score a headshot in the lower range of the target zone (for the layman, that’d be the face and head region), we’ve discovered that bullets are impacting a few pixels lower than they should, plunging into the chest volume instead of the head. This often allows an unshielded opponent to remain upright after your crack shot should have taken the legs out from under ‘em.

VINDICATED! Now I don't feel so bad seething to NRP in chat repeatedly, "That was a headshot!" I had noticed you were better off aiming just above the head than aiming at the face.

VINDICATED! Now I don't feel so bad seething to NRP in chat repeatedly, "That was a headshot!" I had noticed you were better off aiming just above the head than aiming at the face.

Yeah, well in the words of Castaway "you still cheat..."

I wonder how much difference that change will actually make? I often feel like I can't finish opponents, and I have zero confidence in 1 v 1 battles in SWAT. It's to the point where I'm considering switching from cable internet to fiberoptic.

I wish they could patch that into the beta for the final days, just we could see the difference. I suppose a few pixels can make a difference if you are shooting someone half way across the map. If nothing else, it would help my sanity.

I wish they could patch that into the beta for the final days, just we could see the difference. I suppose a few pixels can make a difference if you are shooting someone half way across the map. If nothing else, it would help my sanity.

I'd love for them do a second beta before launch. It would reflect all the changes made and let us see how it plays out. I don't see it happening but it would be cool.

I find my performance in SWAT extremely variable, which is frustrating.

Maybe it's cause I'm a twitchy player and aren't calm enough.

Like yesterday I was coming second or third last at the end of some rounds and then another round despite my team losing I got 23 kills including an overkill! (my only one so far in Reach)

I also play with a look sensitivity of 7 though (which i've used since H1), what sensitivity do you guys play on?

Question: What are the fastest ways to get the Generators down? The group needs some better hints as some groups tear them apart while at other times it takes foreeeever. What I have found that works:

Mini-gun. Near C there is a mini-gun and it will shred it down to about 5%.

Nades. One of the elites has 3 plasma grenades. 2 players swooping in with that rock pretty fast.

Grenade launcher. kill a Spartan and use it against them.

Yeah, pathetic list. Help!

3200 dpi

Look, nuttin' stoppin' you from hookin' your keyboard and mouse up to your Xbox 360 USB ports. There is two of them there for a reason ;)

Wait, can use K&M to play 360 games? Doesn't that only work for typing
Maybe if you have a hacked 360 it'd work, though that'd be cheating when you already have aim assists helping you target.

reach1219138full.jpg

Overwatch proves one thing: Reach looks better than Halo 3.

Back