Halo a Retrospective View 5 years Later

deathstar121

Newcomer
This is from Nex Gen Mag that is no longer in print, it was the may issue in 2001, 6 months before the Launch of Xbox, I hope old scans are allowed.

Halonextgencover.jpg

halonextgenpage1.jpg

halonextgenpage2.jpg

halonextgenpage3.jpg

halonextgenpage4.jpg

I remember that magazine!
It's probably the best one that came out for videogamers.
Very profesional in terms of content and presentation.
Unlike it's competitors who has the "look at me! I'm screaming" type of vibe.
It's quite a shame they didn't last.

Those pics of halo still looks pretty decent.

*cough* No scans, lest risk the wrath of the mods be upon you (don't know if they care if they're old or not, better PM one and ask?)…

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't see that OP tad already commented on that. Sorry.

Interresting 'timewarp', though (thanks).

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that issue. Great mag.
I remember that magazine!
It's probably the best one that came out for videogamers.
Very profesional in terms of content and presentation.
Unlike it's competitors who has the "look at me! I'm screaming" type of vibe.
It's quite a shame they didn't last.

Those pics of halo still looks pretty decent.
It was a good mature magazine with great feature articles. I was so sad when it was canceled. Haven't come across another mag quite like it. The only magazine I kept in storage to reread until one day I regrettably threw them away.

I loved NextGen magazine too. I had a subscription to it when it was canceled. I haven't subscribed to a gaming magazine since.

I have an issue of either Next Gen or CGW which takes a look at Halo when it was still a PC title. :)

Next Gen was an amazing mag. I have something like 1995-98. Their coverage is professional on every level. Writing, magazine layout, paper quality (lol), photography, etc. A lot of mags were at their peak around those years. Things have generally gone way downhill since with a few exceptions.

Great idea for a thread.

I like reading old mags takes on the latest and the future games and hardware products.
*cough* No scans, lest risk the wrath of the mods be upon you (don't know if they care if they're old or not, better PM one and ask?)…
The complete rule covers that point already ;) :
About Posting Scans from Recent Publications

That rule is simple. You don't have the right to do that. Easy to remember, isn't it?

You can, nevertheless, post scans from "vintages" publications, and from promotional printed materials (Ads, Press kits...).
And as long as the copyright holder doesn't offer a (pay for) service to consult the magazine archive, I think that it's fair use to allow "old" magazines scans. Unless the copyright holder asks us to take the scans down, of course.

You people remember this trailer?
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=19173
I remember that back then in 2000 I thought it was the best E3 trailer. But game came off my radar when it was announced as an Xbox only game (I was a dedicated PC gamer and didn't want to hear about consoles at all). I bought my Xbox in 2003, but somehow didn't play the game until June 05 and I loved the game and the best FPS I've played.:) The game's so awesome.

And I can't believe how much better the game that shipped in 2001 was than that trailer in 2000. These days you wonder what kind of step down there is going to be from the trailer to the game.

And I can't believe how much better the game that shipped in 2001 was than that trailer in 2000. These days you wonder what kind of step down there is going to be from the trailer to the game.

Indeed. When I first saw this game I thaught it was a brakethrough. The very beginning of it, the anxiety of the battle that was about to begin while on the dropship and the involvement when you landed made me feel like I was in a real battle. This was one of the games that made me want to own an XBOX.
My friend who owned it showed me some newer levels in the Alien ship, demosntrated me the weapons, and new enemies and I was convinced this was the game that was bound to steal Half Life's crown of the best FPS.

Unfortunately it wasnt as well recieved on the PC. The port wasnt good enough from what I ve heard and it was too easy because the difficulty was already at lowered to help XBOX with the controller since it makes FPS shooters unnecessarilly hard. So when it was released on the PC the same difficulties were too easy on PC. Keyboard and mouse made the game relatively too easy compared to other PC FPS and PC FPS veterans complained about the difficulty. It also came on the PC too late. Otherwise I am sure this game would have been much better recieved. Probably could have been considered as the best FPS

And as long as the copyright holder doesn't offer a (pay for) service to consult the magazine archive, I think that it's fair use to allow "old" magazines scans. Unless the copyright holder asks us to take the scans down, of course.

By that logic it should be fine to post to links to games that are no longer being sold unless the copyright holder ask to have you take it down of course.

By that logic it should be fine to post to links to games that are no longer being sold unless the copyright holder ask to have you take it down of course.
An IP such as a videogame, a song or a movie can be "recycled" (for a lack of a better word in proper English), later on the IP life, at an undetermined date, into something else, be it a sequel, a remake or a added to a compilation.

In the case of a five year old preview from a videogaming magazine -that isn't published anymore- I really doubt that the copyright owner would have any need to reuse any part of this preview.
I mean, copy pasting a Halo 1 preview and adding "3" next to the word Halo might not get by undetected. Just as I'm sure, publishing a remake including new buzzwords from the last five years, such as "Blogs", Podcast or "emergent gaming", might not be of any interest to the publisher.

The only real way to yield some monetary incomes from really old articles is by making them available via a database, in general accessible from online catalogues at libraries and also offered to subscribed readers too. In this case, the magazine, in its paper form is dead, long ago, and it's not available in any form anywhere.

We're extremely respectful of copyrights and we do always apply severely the rules when someone post more than what the fair use authorise. Mainly because, as a media outlet ourselves, we understand the reasons as of why such laws exist.
It's just that in some particular cases, like this one, or any other years old magazine (+5years), we tolerate scans of whole pages in these "look what the press used to say years ago" threads, given that the writers are getting no roylaties whatsoever and that the publisher isn't making any money anymore from the this article.

Anyway, if anyone wants to discuss the matter of copyrights and fair use, you're welcome to use the feedback forum and/or RPSC. :smile:

You people remember this trailer?
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=19173
I remember that back then in 2000 I thought it was the best E3 trailer. But game came off my radar when it was announced as an Xbox only game (I was a dedicated PC gamer and didn't want to hear about consoles at all). I bought my Xbox in 2003, but somehow didn't play the game until June 05 and I loved the game and the best FPS I've played.:) The game's so awesome.

Do you remember THIS trailer? It was the best thing ever and people couldn't believe it was rendered by a regular TNT(or was it TNT2?).
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=16742

I also remember how a lot of people were upset when Halo went from third-person to first-person.

The mash-up of art styles (Reach + cartoony) is jarring in the anniversary enchantment. I appreciate the attempt at dialing up the colours, but they went even beyond Halo 3, and it just doesn't work. It'd be more fitting for a Mega Bloks/LEGO... The Forerunner architecture also goes from a relatively subdued appearance to in-your-face detailing "LOOK AT ME" that ruins the scale of objects somewhat (just look at the Halo in the title screen).

Back