Halo 3 not impressing me right now...

Yeah the Chief looks badass in that pic, in where as in the Halo3 stuff he looks like a peice of foil wraped candy.

I think I'd rather have the developers concentrate on the terrain than the player models...
The Master Chief's suit is simple, so I don't expect them to do much...
I want variety in the terrain since I'm sure I'll be playing multiplayer anyways :)
I agree with Lunchbox. I think it is important to remember this is First Person Shooter. In the SP campaign, other than a few cut scenes, you almost never see the chief's armor. The world detail, on the other hand, is much more important. In the end however, if the gameplay is good I won't really care if the graphics are just average.

By the way, I love that piece of concept art by Zoe Brawley. Sadly, I think she was a contract artist for Halo 2, and I haven't heard whether she's involved with Halo 3.

Theres a new preview in the Offical 360 magazine, one thing that caught my eye was the statment about Halo 3 using a modified Halo 2 engine. I thought it was new from the ground up?

Theres a new preview in the Offical 360 magazine, one thing that caught my eye was the statment about Halo 3 using a modified Halo 2 engine. I thought it was new from the ground up?

The single-player engine is built from the ground up, whereas the MP engine is built off the base of the previous one.

I think this is exactly the sort of worn out detail that Laa Yosh was wanting while fitting in with the Halo-style: bullet dents, scratches everywhere, paint scraped off...

Oh yeah, exactly, and the fun thing is that all it takes to get this into Halo3 is to work a little more on textures and shaders. It should look almost as good in-engine.
Maybe the scratched parts look too shiny? anyway, it's obviously a lot cooler looking then what we've seen so far... I hope Bungie somehow agrees to this and gets their act together...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lunchbox. I think it is important to remember this is First Person Shooter. In the SP campaign, other than a few cut scenes, you almost never see the chief's armor. The world detail, on the other hand, is much more important. In the end however, if the gameplay is good I won't really care if the graphics are just average.

Yet there may be a dozen cut scenes and you will be seeing Spartans throughout MP. Also, it is 1 model -- it should not be a challenge to dump a fair bit of resources into THE FACE of the Xbox. It isn't just about a "dump FPS model" but the fact that it should be better and the fact there is a lot MS is hinging on MC himself--even if you rarely see him.

As for scratched and dented paint and armor, the E3 trailer had such. So I don't think Bungie is against such, hopefully they, like Epic, continue to evolve and invest into their main character art. The concept render by Zoe is awesome btw. The E3 trailer was equally well done, although in the "making of" you could definately tell it was cinematic in terms of staging and that the non-cinematic angles looked significantly less appealing. Especially the awesome spot light where MC walks in, the alternative cameras looks MUCH less inspiring. The brutal difference between gameplay and cinema...

The single-player engine is built from the ground up, whereas the MP engine is built off the base of the previous one.

You've got to be kidding me... They've had since 2004, what have they been doing...

So what you're telling me is that the multi screenshots are not going to improve much?

So what you're telling me is that the multi screenshots are not going to improve much?

Don't jump to conclusions! If they're using separate engines, that would indicate to me that the MP devs are just more concerned about getting the gameplay worked out and maps made. They can update the technology when the tech devs get all the new engine's bugs and performance worked out. All IMHOptimism. ;)

Besides, there's still a long way to go before Gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got to be kidding me... They've had since 2004, what have they been doing...

No, that is not what was said. Simply that they've been hard at work creating their own custom engine for the single player. You could grasp a number of things from that, and the one that comes to my mind is that they've been using an older and therefore complete engine to test the gameplay mechanics of the multiplayer. Its logical to me.

With a Halo series of game you better get it right or things will hit the fan. I can see why they'd want to get the multiplayer gameplay correct before starting its transition to a new and unproven engine. In my personal opinion the multiplayer of Halo 3 will be much more important to its success than its single player.

In my personal opinion the multiplayer of Halo 3 will be much more important to its success than its single player.

Well, it's an opinion that can be backed up by the popularity of Halo 2 on Live. And then there's the replay function.... As much as I dislike competitive multiplayer, it certainly has its draw on a lot of people. :p

I wonder how things would change if co-op were online? I don't suppose anyone could guess as to how many people are playing co-op online for Gears of War vs. MP...

Don't jump to conclusions! If they're using separate engines, that would indicate to me that the MP devs are just more concerned about getting the gameplay worked out and maps made. They can update the technology when the tech devs get all the new engine's bugs and performance worked out. All IMHOptimism. ;)

Besides, there's still a long way to go before Gold.

Yeah, exactly. I don't remember if I posted it or if I just closed the window and went somewhere, but I at least wrote this before (too lazy to check :p ).

While Single Player really is the bread and butter of the Halo franchise (IMO), the part that will be twisted, bent, touched in private places, etc. most often and the hardest will be the multiplayer. Things that are minor issues in single player are game-balance-breaking bullet points in multiplayer (especially one being played by hundreds of thousands of individuals for several years. And when it's ranked? Even worse.).

So, the multiplayer team doesn't have the luxury to sit around on their asses (Especially when they have only half a dozen or a dozen people assigned strictly to MP map design/texture work, game balance, etc.) for over a year waiting for the engine to be usable enough (i.e., up-and-running graphically, working audio, few major bugs that hamper their work on gameplay, etc.) to do their jobs.

Back