Halo 3 Alpha build screenshots.

People on forums always wish the great looking 30fps shooters (halo,Killzone,riddick) were running at 60fps. Even so far as to accept a graphics downgrade to achieve this. Yet nobody buys and plays the mediocre looking shooters (timesplitters,XIII) which do run at near 60fps. Which tells me the majority of people will take the tradeoff. Bottom line is if halo1/2 ran at 60fps we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Well, the Metroid FPS titles on the GC stand in pretty sturdy opposition to your point.

But I doubt that'll happen again because neither the X360 nor the PS3 seem to be designed to push out 60 fps. Between that and those aiming for 60 fps having to keep up visually with those aiming for 30 fps, most cannot afford the dev and performance cost.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 60 fps become more common on the Wii, though.

Halo3 Interview

It's probably tattooed onto Peter Moore's face, but Halo 3's release later this year will be big. Bigger than all of us. Bigger than Tom's credit card bill. And as with the very biggest games, the information drip-feed would torture even Jack Bauer into confessing that, yes, he prefers the Xbox 360 to the PS3.

So what do we know so far? Well, despite haven written nine million news stories on a game no one's ever seen outside Bungie, we know very little. You know, the names of the new weapons, the Mongoose ATV, the names of some maps, but little of consequence. Here's a World Exclusive guess: it's going to be a bit like Halo 1 and 2, but with high definition badgers.

And to continue the agonising process of filling up our factometer on the game, we grabbed content manager Frank O'Connor to see if he had any more nuggets to reveal. Interview by Gregor Wildermann of Eurogamer.de.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72856

People on forums always wish the great looking 30fps shooters (halo,Killzone,riddick) were running at 60fps. Even so far as to accept a graphics downgrade to achieve this. Yet nobody buys and plays the mediocre looking shooters (timesplitters,XIII) which do run at near 60fps. Which tells me the majority of people will take the tradeoff. Bottom line is if halo1/2 ran at 60fps we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Timesplitters looks great. And actually I am sure there are many many people who play that series

Yes, the DIRT developers said they were going for the 30fps w/ Motion Blur approach due to their experience with PGR3.
I guess the Codemasters folks had the choice to run in 60 FPS with motion blur effects, like the Burnout series on the last generation of consoles, but they prefered to go with 30 FPS, and motion blur, because of they liked what they saw on PGR3... That or they just couldn't achieve a stable 60FPS with all the bells and whistles on. :p

Remember, no matter what the developers publicly say to a gaming outlet (artistic reasons, cinematic feel, enhanced experience, etc...), the real reason for a technical choice of theirs is most of the time pretty simple: they just couldn't achieve it with their actual code base, not without causing delays, or they just didn't even try to do it since they knew it would be long and problematic to implement it.

Admittedly, on the framerate topic, achieving a 60Hz framerate on PS3/X360 is not easy task, if you plan on pushing impressive graphics, but it's not impossible, and more importantly it should always be a priority for a racing game, if you ask me.

DIRT is also about physics, and 30 or 60 fps makes quite a difference there as well.

Offtopic - but Dirt looks friggin great so far from what I've seen. I can't wait to see how this game turns out. Almost as much as I'm looking forward to Halo3.;)

ok, halo 3 is most likely at 30fps fixed.

i couldn't find an answer to this question, will Halo 2 Vista run at 60fps??? surely current computers have so much redundant power to run this game at 60fps???

i couldn't find an answer to this question, will Halo 2 Vista run at 60fps??? surely current computers have so much redundant power to run this game at 60fps???

At CES, it was pretty much running 60fps at 1920x1200. How could I tell? Well.. the animations and explosions were a whole lot smoother. It just seemed a whole lot smoother. There will also be in-game support for AA. At the show, they only had 2x and 4xAA selectable though (during gameplay). I believe they were running on those crazy Dell machines with the 8800GTX and QX6700s.

Back