Halo 2 Pre-order numbers...

RiZeUp said:
I just looked at Enter The Matrix's units sold. In the US it has roughly 2.3 millions copies sold and 200,000 in Europe. So I really doubt it had 4 million pre-orders.

http://www.wakinglimb.com/games/games_enter_the_matrix.htm (there are other sources with the same number, just do a google search)

4 Million Preorders. Impressive. Which is how many preorders Enter the Matrix got before it's release in the USA and Europe - which just goes to show how much a franchise can do for a game. Shiny have a good reputation for making good games - something that was hopefully going to prevent this from being a bad game.

Fredi

I read that some company is planning to sell keyboards and mice for Xbox and PS2. This will bring great disadvantage for people not using them in games such as Halo. Aiming will be a lot easier when you use a mouse.

What do you think will happen? Everyone will have to buy them in order not to lose?

The "4 million" number for the Matrix game, I believe, was what they said they were expecting and producing for sale--not the number of pre-orders.

cthellis42 said:
The "4 million" number for the Matrix game, I believe, was what they said they were expecting and producing for sale--not the number of pre-orders.

Yeah that's what i believe too.
Not to bring anyone down or anything but theres also this article on gamespot ( http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/enterthematrix/news_6030281.html ) in which atari says it has sold 2.5 million copies after a month. So unless people pre-ordered the game and held off for a month before they decided to actually get their copy I find the 4 million pre order story rather sketchy.

Anyways this is kinda off topic.

The Halo 2 pre-order figure is probably the amount made by actual consumers and just in the US. Retail pre-order figures can get a lot higher and have been several million for titles like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2).

If I remember correctly Vice City had 2 million pre-orders and shipped 4 million on launch, so yes it would be higher than Halo 2.

Enter the Matrix might have had 4 million pre-orders... People just never went to pick it up once they heard how crap it was... It would explain why it sold less than the actual perorders!!! :LOL:

Enter the Matrix - The most preordered game in history, which sold less than the pre-orders numbers!!!

Best selling game EVER

Do any of you know what game has sold the most copies over any format in the entire history of videogaming?

The console game that has sold the most in the history of the games sold in the console history over any format, any platform, and age, in the history of electronics, in any territory and race and emisphere, in the entire history of evolution of Man since the monkey should be one of the Mario's. Or one of the Zelda's. To be honest, there was a thread about this not too long ago. Conclusion: I don't know.

It was Super Mario (40Mio.) but it was bundled with the NES. I made a thread about this some weeks ago, search for topics started by me, shouldn't be so many.

I only have numbers since 2000 so i'm probably not the best source. Grand Theft Auto Vice City for PS2 sold the most with 6,129,873 copies. The biggest franchise since 2000 is Pokemon with 27,704,161 copies sold of pokemon related games.

Edit: These are only US sales. I didn't take the time to look at Europe and Japan.

The biggest franchise is surely Mario, even if each game sold 10 copies each, it would still be the best selling franchise ever.

Pokemon sold about 70Mio. combined, dunno about the Marios but easily more than 100Mio.

Just showing a few higher preorder numbers according to someone from slashdot (so take it with your usual grain of salt but they seem reasonable).

In the U.S., Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green each received over 1 million pre-orders. These were clearly released during the history of the Xbox. GameBoy Advance games.

In Japan alone, Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (girl version, forgot the Japanese version's name) sold over one million pre-orders. It's a Pokemon-clone (monster collection RPG), BTW. GameBoy Color game.

Again, in Japan, Dragon Quest VII sold over 3 million pre-orders. PlayStation game.

I'm sure there are others, but these are what I can think of, Dorakue 7 being the one that most easily comes to mind.

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=124628&cid=10452376

It turned out to be massive overestimation.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/06/news_6109802.html

Microsoft clarifies Halo 2 preorder buzz, XBL Arcade pricing
1 million preorders number "premature and speculative"; Arcade downloads to cost $10 to $20 apiece.

A story in the Seattle Times that features a few surprising comments on the Xbox and Xbox Live Arcade has been making the rounds today. To get to the bottom of some of the article's more head-scratching assertions, GameSpot contacted a Microsoft representative for clarification.

To wit, the story's report that more than 1 million presales have been recorded for Halo 2 is "premature and speculative," said the Microsoft rep. Official numbers have preorders for the highly anticipated sequel at 750,000 units.

Whether or not this constitutes "the highest presale in the history of video games" is also disputed. Some reports put preorders for 2002's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City at more than 4 million, but Microsoft asserts that to its knowledge, the title "did not presell more than 1 [million] units." The discrepancy probably arises from the two different definitions of "preorder." One definition involves retailers' orders, while the other involves customers whose money has been put down in advance of a game's release.

Finally, the final paragraphs of the piece note that downloadable titles for the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade service will cost between "$10 and $20 each." At first glance, this struck GameSpot editors as a rather high price to pay for classic arcade game downloads like Dig Dug. Was this information "speculative" as well? No, said a Microsoft rep. "We have announced an introductory pricing range from $9.99 for basic games to $19.99 for more fully featured titles."

london-boy:
Enter the Matrix might have had 4 million pre-orders... People just never went to pick it up once they heard how crap it was... It would explain why it sold less than the actual perorders!!!

Enter the Matrix - The most preordered game in history, which sold less than the pre-orders numbers!!!
Four million was the number of copies shipped to retailers in the first order, and that was across three platforms. Also, many games never manage to sell out their first shipment well enough for reorders.

Back