Halflife 2- first screenshot

halflife2.jpg

I put it here, because we know it will be ported to Xbox, and its living up to the promised being thrown around that it will topple doom 3 in its graphics.. this is the first screen,it is legit, its scanned from the german magazine that has the world exclusive. It looks too good to be true, but all the buzz had been about how it looks just like dvd quality video, if it turns out to be fake, there are three major mags who are in deep in the credibilty scales.
*Edit*
I originally had it on an official site, I changed to a user hosted, because he has a bigger better scan(at this size, you can tell its graphics and not a movie)

At long last! The sequel to the best PC First Person Shooter of all time has been announced at a press conference with Valve in NY this afternoon.

Having been present at this meeting of developers and media, I got to witness the first running preview and in-game demo to leave the walls of Valve's Design Studios since development began way back when, after the release of Half-Life. And I must say, I was no less than awestruck!

At a glance, you could mistake this game for a DVD movie. The Half-Life 2 engine, built from the ground up, and boasting cinematic quality graphics at blistering frame rates, looks like it will easily topple Doom3's engine before ID even releases it!

The Dev team showed us a demo of a working alpha just to prove that the game's cinematic-style graphics were in-fact, being rendered real time. It was nothing short of amazing, especially considering that it was cutting 70fps in highest detail on a 1.7ghz processor and Geforce 4 Ti4200!

"We've tried to accommodate for the widest range of users possible. We felt that allowing gamers with lower end PCs to play with the highest settings would greatly increase the multiplayer potential and encourage the online community to really get behind Half-Life 2." commented Willam Sykes, source programmer.

As some people may also know, the tactical aspect of Half-Life 2 has been greatly increased over its predecessor. Weapons are now fully functional with gun jams, dirty barrels, overheating and weight. For example, in any in-game mission, one is expected to clear bullet casing jams, hold weapons steady (counteracting against weight) and perform maintenance tasks such as stripping, cleaning and polishing of weapons.

The Team are excited with the new tactical aspect which includes missions of the following varieties:

Radio operator missions where you take on the role of 'behind the main lines' support crew, skills in tuning radio frequencies and counter-acting for static will be essential in giving the fighting troops accurate bearings on targets

Co-ordinating scouting missions into unknown regions. Again, these require the player to stay at base with a radio and satellite uplink, communicating with fighting soldiers during battles.

Weapon Maintenance missions are completed before every main mission. In these preparation segments, players must ensure their firearms are fully functional and well kept. Failure to successfully maintain one's weapon reults in demotion and 'less action' in main missions.

Of course the above is only a TASTE of whats to come in the retail package. Expect a lot of the features that made HL1 so popular, like the adventure aspect and of course, slaughtering a LOT of ultra high resolution baddies! While I looked on at valve's demo, I thought it a shame that these baddies were ceasing to exist by Gordon's well-maintained firearm, as they were so extremely detailed it was a pleasure to watch them! The models were so realistic in-fact, that whilst watching the demo, I noticed the following:

All models have rising and falling chests/areas where lungs are used (this is helpful when you are unsure if enemies are dying, dead, sleeping or pretending!

All models are fully destructable in an unlimited number of ways. Say goodbye to shooting the whole head off an enemy. Depending where you hit it, the skull will fragment accordingly, and differently every time!

The sheer detail is ridiculous: actual hair/fur (not textures), sweat, dirt, cuts (can be made anywhere and of different severity Eg: a cut on the skin, right up to a limb coming off or an opening into the abdominal area etc)

Along with the overwhelming abundance of eye-candy, this game has quite a few never-before-tried features incorperated into the adventure.

Players may be at first shocked to find that Valve has taken the standard mouse look of FPS and added in a 'turn head' type feature. This feature allows the player to look around while keeping the body and weapon aimed in a particular direction, and is controlled by the mouse (as are the body movements). This system, for example, will allow the player to observe an environment around them whilst still keeping a weapon trained on the many prisoners that are taken during missions.

Keeping in line with the new weapon detail systems (cleaning, unjamming, maintaining etc) a sidebar will be added that will allow the player to access his weapon cleaning kit quickly by toggling and then using the mouse to grab and apply tools to clean the firearms. After battles, it is quite common to 'take 5' and make use of the weapon maintenance kit in a quiet corner. The most impressive feature of the weapon maintenance kit is that the player will take control of the tools with the mouse. For example, when cleaning the barrel of a firearm, the player must move the mouse back and forth to move the wad inside the barrel. Players must also take care not to spill cleaning solvents with the mouse when applying them. Move the mouse too fast and you'll waste some good fluid.

Our first look at Half-Life 2 was an exciting experience to say the least. The team here at Deepgame Online News are looking forward to the inevitable flow of screenshots and movies that will spill forth from Valve's Studios over the coming months, and will keep you up to date with all the latest developments as the title progresses. "

if what they are saying about the GF4200TI is true, that means Xbox can handle it without much effort. But I am going to say it... I dont think we will see this one on PS2 or GC... I dont see either pushing this kind of graphics.
"

hl-2.jpg

the words were scoffed at, until the pics came out, they just came out about an hour ago, and they are certainly not fake..

the description is from a seperate source, and its all real.. Valve
even came out to announce today that this game will ship before the end of 2003

At a glance, you could mistake this game for a DVD movie. The Half-Life 2 engine, built from the ground up, and boasting cinematic quality graphics at blistering frame rates, looks like it will easily topple Doom3's engine before ID even releases it!

PULEEAASE :rolleyes:

I think silent hill 3 looks better than that. The first screen is a bit underwhelming to say the least, it could even be mistaken for an half life 1 scene. And someone care to tell me why the lighting in the second screenshot is so blocky? This is supposed to be better than doom3's lighting engine?

If this is supposed to look like DVD movie, I'm losing my fate in humanity.

Gunshot lighting in that second picture looks like 10x10 pixels blurred lightmap. Other than that, it looks pretty cool, but definitely nothing 'awe-strucking'

if what they are saying about the GF4200TI is true, that means Xbox can handle it without much effort. But I am going to say it... I dont think we will see this one on PS2 or GC... I dont see either pushing this kind of graphics.

If you didn't know how fast this game ran on a TI4200 then you'd also think that there's no way XBox could handle those visuals. Because you'd be basing your judgement on what you currently think is possible based on stuff like Doom3 ect. Obviously this engine changes what we thought was possible (if its as good as it looks and runs as well as that article says).

At the end of the day if XBox can handle it without much effort then GC can handle it as well and possibly even PS2 with a few downgrades.

Cyborg

I think silent hill 3 looks better than that. The first screen is a bit underwhelming to say the least, it could even be mistaken for an half life 1 scene. And someone care to tell me why the lighting in the second screenshot is so blocky? This is supposed to be better than doom3's lighting engine?

How can you say that can be mistaken for the original Half-Life?? The game itself looks unbelievable to me!

marconelly!

If this is supposed to look like DVD movie, I'm losing my fate in humanity.

The visuals look incredibly realistic to me. I find it hard to believe that's even possible this gen never mind at 70fps on a TI4200! Remember the image is a scan.

Uh teasy, how does this even approach STALKER or Doom3 ? Let alone far cry.. Nostalgia is likely blinding you.

Paper that are scanned actually make pretty much everything look BETTER, you dont see the polygon edges as much, it gives a nice filter on every pixels and gets rid of the aliasing, basicly like FMV.

The visuals look incredibly realistic to me

I suggest you go outside for a while..

Paper that are scanned actually make pretty much everything look BETTER, you dont see the polygon edges as much, it gives a nice filter on every pixels and gets rid of the aliasing, basicly like FMV.
What he said.

Videos or photos of a game running on a TV have the same tendency (hiding all the imprefections the game graphics might have, making it look more like a CGI)

I'm not saying HL2 looks bad - FAR from that, but I'm not as impressed as I was with some other games, especially considering this is made for a PC.

Uh teasy, how does this even approach STALKER or Doom3 ? Let alone far cry.. Nostalgia is likely blinding you.

Nostalgia for what? I've never even played the original Half-Life so there's no nostalgia there at all for me.

Anyway that doesn't make sense. Why would nostalgia make me think that HL2 is totally unmistakable for the original HL? If anything it would make me think the opposite.

How could anyone confuse half-life's graphics with the pic at the top of this thread?

Half-life pics:

halflifenew003.jpg

halflifenew008.jpg

I am aware that scanning hides all kinds of aliasing problems, but it also hides model/texture detail too.

I suggest you go outside for a while..

I suggest you drop the attitude man, common lets keep this civil please.

Well the screenshots you picked are hardly representative of the half life's interior design (and you picked multiplayer pics aswell, not quite on par in terms of design, and since half life was totally ass in graphics when it came to outdoor scenes..). The 2nd shot does not look like its coming from half life, cause like i said earlier the half life outdoor graphics were rather primitive, but the first one has a deja vu feeling to it, the bland orange interior reminds me of the black mesa interior.

Teasy, in turn, those shots you posted of Half-Life would look much more realistic if scanned in poorly to the same effect as the above HL2 screen. At the moment, it looks okay, leaving potential to impress when they release actual screens instead of scanned in ones. They should give a much better representation of the game.

BTW; wasn't it this forum where someone posted a photo taken of a TV showing a Xbox racer (Racing Evoluzione in PAL territories), which looked like real-life... that was about as representative as this screen here..

Back