Half-Life Remake for Source: Black Mesa Source

Omg, I thought that project was totally dead... I am very pleased to hear this. Very pleased indeed. :)

Does anyone even want HL1 in Source anymore? Anyone who hasn't played it should play the original, because the changes made to the AI routines in BM are going to make the game worse. Everything outside of the presentation holds up really well and shames many modern entries in the genre.

If somone wants HL meets today's production values, Episode 2 is the closest in terms of quality to the first game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone even want HL1 in Source anymore?
Sure, why wouldn't we want it?

Original HL looks absolute shit today, it's nearly painful to play it's so bad. It's only for nostalgia that I've booted up the game these past ten years or so. An updated, much more realistic-looking game would on the other hand be quite interesting to play through, if for no other reason so I could gripe about any and all changes they may have done to the level layouts and so on. :)

Does anyone even want HL1 in Source anymore?

yes please! gameplay wise, HL1 still quite good, is different and a lot more pure than the current games, but still great fun,
graphics and sound is just to dated, I think it suffers more from its age than the rest of the game, so...

I played the entire Hl1 2 or 3 times, and I can't wait to play Black Mesa Source,

Main thing I'd miss from the original is the soundtrack. It still works as well as anything "modern" in delivering mood/ambience to the game. Be nice if there were an easy way of functionally dropping it in.

If you have the original HL game installed (in a modern version, where the music isn't CD audio tracks), the game should concievably be able to use those data files methinks...

Whether it's wav/mp3 or CD audio, you would still have the issue of HL's original music playback being scripted to play at certain map segment loads, so I would guess it'll be pretty much impossible to integrate the old music back in their appropriate areas without modifying the new maps to trigger the music.

Impossible to have the new maps trigger music?

"...without modifying the new maps"

As in, for the user to put the HL music into Black Mesa Source (rather than their own newly orchestrated music) and have it play at the same points in the game as HL, it probably wouldn't be a simple matter of dragging and dropping some mp3s into the appropriate directory.

"...without modifying the new maps"

As in, for the user to put the HL music into Black Mesa Source (rather than their own newly orchestrated music) and have it play at the same points in the game as HL, it probably wouldn't be a simple matter of dragging and dropping some mp3s into the appropriate directory.

Oh right I got it now.

Rip the audio tracks (which I did, a thousand or so years ago, just so I could listen to them in Winamp), encode in 256kbit (or whatever) MP3, and stick em back into the game's data file with the same file names as the original files. This might work, or it might not. Hard to say. You may need to turn off auto-updating for Half-Life in the Steam client, or it could get into its silly little head to "repair" your install and put the 48kHz tracks back in again. :LOL:

I wouldn't want to use CD audio in a modern PC. Are there even DACs in optical drives in this day and age? (If there are, they're bound to be TERRIBLE.) There typically aren't CD audio input connectors on mobos either, and few people have discrete audio add-in boards these days. HL certainly won't support digital CD audio over IDE/SATA bus. I know of no game that does, because only very very ancient games software even uses music as CD tracks, and that tech is slightly newer.

Also, CD audio frequently caused stuttering during gameplay (often in critical situations too) when the game paused, waiting for the drive to spin up the disk whenever it was time to play music. Not very ideal in an action game.

Rip the audio tracks (which I did, a thousand or so years ago, just so I could listen to them in Winamp), encode in 256kbit (or whatever) MP3, and stick em back into the game's data file with the same file names as the original files...

Wrote something long and complicated about the datafiles and the old pak/folder structure.. but looking at my steam's hl\valve folder\media folder looks like the music files are just sitting there. Should just be able to toss in some higher bitrate mp3s ripped from the CD into the folder and have it work.

Back