Half-Life 2 XB360 won't be using tiling to achieve A.A.

TheChefO said:
Hey why so negative? COD2 ported very early at 720/60fps! [/SIZE]

Sorry to say it again, but CoD does not run at 60fps - it runs "up to" 60fps but most of the time choppy and way below that (except when you look in the blank sky).

In addition, theres no AA/AF...

Jesus2006 said:
Sorry to say it again, but CoD does not run at 60fps - it runs "up to" 60fps but most of the time choppy and way below that (except when you look in the blank sky).

In addition, theres no AA/AF...

did you time the sections where it dropped below 60fps to come to this conclusion of "most of the time choppy and way below that"? link? how many other games dip below 60fps when they claim 60?

btw- I did not state it had aa in my previous post;)

You seem aweful negative in your posts toward 360 - did Bill steal your lunch money again?:p

TheChefO said:
did you time the sections where it dropped below 60fps to come to this conclusion of "most of the time choppy and way below that"? link? how many other games dip below 60fps when they claim 60?

btw- I did not state it had aa in my previous post;)

You seem aweful negative in your posts toward 360 - did Bill steal your lunch money again?:p
I know where he hails from. He had to deal with an awful lot of blatant liars and/or marketing droids.

"Stable 60fps", to me, means that the game will stay at 60fps during all normal gameplay situations. For something like an FPS it would be okay if it dropped frames when, say, by some coincidence four smoke grenades blow up in front of the player at the same time. Unless this is something that is supposed to happen (frequently) as per game design.

I don't have an XBox. Any example I could give would just mark me as a competitor's fanperson so excuse me for not giving any.

zeckensack said:
I know where he hails from. He had to deal with an awful lot of blatant liars and/or marketing droids.

"Stable 60fps", to me, means that the game will stay at 60fps during all normal gameplay situations. For something like an FPS it would be okay if it dropped frames when, say, by some coincidence four smoke grenades blow up in front of the player at the same time. Unless this is something that is supposed to happen (frequently) as per game design.

I don't have an XBox. Any example I could give would just mark me as a competitor's fanperson so excuse me for not giving any.

Not to harp to long on this subject but I played the finished game on 360 and would have to say the game's framerate was not 60 all the time but I didn't get the sense the game was chugging along either. From my experience it ran in the 60 range most of the time.

ontopic - as I stated on my earlier post hl2 ran smooth on midlevel gpu's back in the day so I expect the same for the port.

Is there any dev that can confirm bypass of the edram?

TheChefO said:
Hey why so negative? COD2 ported very early at 720/60fps! At this point in 360 development, we should expect the same levels and aa and MB and DOF!

then again I'd be happy with the above at 30fps
COD2 wasn't "ported". A seperate team developed the X360 engine, another worked on the PC version.

LunchBox said:
not a developer
but AFAIK, you can't bypass it. the daughter die has the ROPS...

I'm not a dev either but is it possible to stream from the rops in the daughter die bypass the edram and send straight to system ram?

They still work on the eDRAM and thus data to work on must be located there. You have to copy data out from the eDRAM. Working in system RAM to gain available space (avoiding tiling) at a cost of BW isn't possible. There's no method for the ROPs to directly access system RAM, and I don't think any reason was foreseen why they should. It's a choice the devs have made that isn't optimal for the hardware, perhaps for ease of PC implementation.

Shifty Geezer said:
They still work on the eDRAM and thus data to work on must be located there. You have to copy data out from the eDRAM. Working in system RAM to gain available space (avoiding tiling) at a cost of BW isn't possible. There's no method for the ROPs to directly access system RAM, and I don't think any reason was foreseen why they should. It's a choice the devs have made that isn't optimal for the hardware, perhaps for ease of PC implementation.

Your logic is undeniable, sir :)

Back