GTA: Vice City Impressions?

alexsok

Regular
I've been playing this game for quiet a while now and I like it a lot!

The gameplay is great (improved over GTAIII in every conceivable way), the graphics are great (improved over GTAIII in some respects, not in all though...), the sound is great, it's all good stuff!

Although it does take some time to get used to the new Miami style color palette, you'll eventually get used to it and never want to go back to GTAIII! :)

What do you guys think of it?

it's terrible. It doesnt even compare to GTA3 :( JK, haven't played it yet :-? Hey alexsok, just curious, you play with trails 'on' or 'off'? Alot of people seem to prefer them off.

Hey alexsok, just curious, you play with trails 'on' or 'off'? Alot of people seem to prefer them off.

To tell u the truth, I was so intrigued in playing the game that I haven't even looked in the options! :)

So I'll answer your question with another question:
Are the trails off or on by default? :)

The radio stations are absolutely marvellous, and the C64-intro hit the right nerve, but that's about what's good in this game. :)

The series tries too much and fails with most of it. The driving is mediocre, the fighting/shooting is plain stiff and the adventure part is just about cut-scenes like every other story-driven game these days. The setting is great though, and it does capture the 80s atmosphere quite lovely. Just driving around listening to the music and fooling around a bit can be fun, for a couple of hours at best. Then you start getting too annoyed by the many flaws, both in gameplay and in technical aspects.

Anyway, the popularity basically boils down to millions of people desperately wanting to be cool.

VNZ: I would appreciate if you could be more specific about what u didn't like about the game.

P.S
Yes, the engine is outdated, but the game looks better than GTAIII, although I haven't seen any significant flaws you are talking about...

Are the trails off or on by default?

well I haven't played it yet but pretty sure it is on by default. The game also has a DTS option and I'm curious to ho that sounds as compared to the regular stereo option :)

well I haven't played it yet but pretty sure it is on by default. The game also has a DTS option and I'm curious to ho that sounds as compared to the regular stereo option :)

Well, if they're on by default, then I'm playing with them :)

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the DTS sound, as I can't really experience it! :(

Without going too much into details, it should be pretty clear that the individual gameplay types that GTA3/VC is built on is flawed compared to the best those genres has to offer. The driving, while it's nice to cruise along and listen to the music, gets very frustrating when things gets busy. The framerate is simply too poor for a speedy getaway, the handling is too "soup-bar-esque" (basically the low framerate leads to oversteering problems), and the roads would have to be built from a much higher number of polygons to make the turns and hills work in a believable way. Just imagine having the driving on par with, for example, Burnout 2.

It's pretty much the same with the fighting. Compared to the best fighting and shooting games, VC does fall very flat indeed. As for the "adventure" part, the peak was reached on the golden days of LucasArts / Sierra in the early nineties. So what we have is a "cool" game in an ugly package.

Some may say the sum is greater than its parts, but for me it works the other way around in the case of GTA3/VC.

VNZ: Well, it seems that different people have different opinions! :)
If we look at Vice City and the different genres it tried to converge, we'll definetly see that it didn't succeed much there (it did converge them succesfully, but it didn't succeed to get it "right" in all of them), but if we look at it as a whole piece (as u said in your post), we'll definetly see an amazing concept well conceived and executed!

It's impossible to get it "right" in all respects, but it's possible to do your best and come as close as possible, which I think is exactly what Rockstar have done! :D

alexsok:
How do you rate a car handling compared to the GTA3?? I have heard some comments that they have altered it to "easier"??

Just say it is just like it was and I'm happy :D

Jogi said:
alexsok:
How do you rate a car handling compared to the GTA3?? I have head some comments that they have altered it to "easier"??

Just say it is just like it was and I'm happy :D

To tell u the truth... it indeed feels a bit "easier" and more how can i say... "forgiving" (the later in regards to collisions).

VNZ, you are comparing one game with several best games in their respective genres. Just the fact that you have to pit it against five different games to put it down, shows how much it does and how much variety it offers - all that in one package that just comes together so nicely :)

I'll just repost my opinions from GA board:

GTA:VC - just what the doctor prescribed! :)

Has there been a more positive and feel good game lately? Just seeing that loading screen spoof, and feeling the perverse pleasure that millions of people will get to see the greatness that was beautiful, blue, C64 screen, almost made me scream of joy! Everything - from that loading screen and the intro sequence to the vibrant pastel colors & glows and music selection is just so heart cheering :)) Driving vespa to the sunset, listening to Flock of Seaguls, blinded by the glow... even the hardcore graphics whore's heart melts, and forgets to look for imprefections, enjoying in what this game has to offer. And there is just so much of it.

I'll hold off gameplay impressions until I play the game some more, but so far I'm very impressed. Missions and the story line are much improved over GTA3.

Well, if they're on by default, then I'm playing with them

well if you're not getting motion sickness then I guess that's all good :D
one more quick question..., does vice City seem overall less populated, meaning on your average corner or street there are less people and/or traffic in comparison to GTA3? I heard a couple people comment on this that it seems more barren in that regard :-?

I've played for about five hours so far.

First off, GTA:VC is more an evolution than a revolution. It's a more polished, hipper, funnier version of GTA3. And I'm enjoying it plenty!

The writing and dialog is great. It's coarse, even brutal at times, but darkly humorous. I've laughed out loud several times.

Favorite quote to this point is from the chick you meet on the boat (turns out she's a stripper): "Mind if I rest my hand in your lap?"

Vice City plays much like its prequel, with several improvements and important differences. For example, targeting is easier than before. You can now ride motorcycles (which sound awesome). And - very cool this is - you can now jump out of a moving vehicle!

The missions start off slowly, but they're starting to heat up. More cutscenes than the original are helping to form the story.

The atmosphere is great. I cannot stress enough how much these authentic 80s tunes add to the game. They really help bring the game world to life. Besides the great tunes on the soundtrack discs, I've also heard Loverboy, Animotion, Quiet Riot, and The Cult. Sweet!

The environs are authentic, with bikini-clad rollerskaters at the beach and Hawaiian-shirted guys everywhere.

Did I mention the voice acting? Phillip Michael Thomas (Tubbs in Miami Vice) voices your comrade, and that's just way too cool.

Graphically, the game seems only slightly improved over its predecessor. Meaning, the game looks very nice at times, and dated at others. The neon lights at night are a great, great touch, but the raindrop effects on the "camera" lens have been done much better by other games.

Character models are improved over the last game, as are the animations. These characters move just right - their gestures complement their dialog almost uncannily.

So far, a top-notch job by Rockstar. Can't wait to see more!

Kolgar

does vice City seem overall less populated, meaning on your average corner or street there are less people and/or traffic in comparison to GTA3?

Well, it actually seems more populated to me in terms of the amount of vehicles and motorcycles driving around, but less populated in the amounts of people hanging around in the streets.

But I could be wrong there, since I used to travel by foot in GTAIII a lot, while I barely do so in Vice City...

marconelly! said:
GTA:VC - just what the doctor prescribed! :)
Has there been a more positive and feel good game lately?
Kolgar said:
. It's coarse, even brutal at times, but darkly humorous. I've laughed out loud several times.

I still laugh my ass off at much of the sexual inuendo (sp), it adds to the game when your all serious and you see a sign or hear a radio ad like:

Shaft Hot Dogs: The Taste of a Real Man's Meat.

Cherry Popper Ice-Cream Co: It's Cherry Popping Good

Or that one radio ad for the Donuts; where they talk about plunging your tongue into it!! Wow, I thought I was gonna pee my pants.

Or Pitbomb: Napalm for your skin. Fighting the war against perspiration.

Or No Tresspassing: Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

Or Thor...

As for the actual game, I think it's great. Many of the missions are utterly amazing in design for a video game. The freedom is awesome, has anyone else found that using cars as a guided bomb (no, I'm not a terrorist) is a good tool. Like get the car smoking untill theirs one hit left and drive it fullsped into the baracade (like the rescue lance misssion) and ditch at the last moment?

That Rusty Brown ad is awful, but I'm lmao every time I hear it.

I don't play GTA and VC for the gfx. That's what I bought an Xbox for. I play GTA series b/t they're simply funny as shlt, and have some of the most varied mission design in any game I know of.

I've hit a few bugs, but nothing that has caused the game to be unplayable, or that has prevented me from enjoying the game overall.

Back