Gripe about a requirement of a computer science degree in jobs

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Sorry about this but I really would like to know why almost every computing job requires a computer science degree?

Web development for instance shouldn't need a degree at all. A diploma is more than enough for that.
A few of my peers and a few friends are only doing a BSC in CS to get basic networking jobs.
Unless you're going to be designing networks under a mathematically intense environment you don't need a degree. A simple CISCO or Microsoft degree is all that's necessary.

Can someone please explain me why employers and businesses are treating CS as a standard basic computing degree?

Sorry about this but I really would like to know why almost every computing job requires a computer science degree?

Web development for instance shouldn't need a degree at all. A diploma is more than enough for that.
A few of my peers and a few friends are only doing a BSC in CS to get basic networking jobs.
Unless you're going to be designing networks under a mathematically intense environment you don't need a degree. A simple CISCO or Microsoft degree is all that's necessary.

Can someone please explain me why employers and businesses are treating CS as a standard basic computing degree?

I can't really answer that question, but I can explain my situation to you.

I live in Melbourne, and finished my Software Engineering degree from QUT (Brisbane) a couple of years ago. QUT offers SE as their major but doesn't offer CS.

I've been working full time for about three years now, and work in an office job where I don't use my IT skills at all. I did at first, but after about six months I took a sidestep, since coding really didn't leave a lot of room for vertical movement. Now, a bunch of people I went to uni with who studies CS (and a few IS fellows too) are in the same job as where I started, with little ideas of moving up - just moving out, contracting, etc as their next step.

Sure, it's not the same for everyone, but it's something to consider.

Look at it from their perspective.

A bloody good chunk of those people who get themselves a degree or similar qualification have either no interest, or no prior experience in the field. It becomes a yard stick in the absence of another measure. A lot of junior level jobs simply require 'you are interested, and qualified'.

The problem is that self taught individuals are both rare and unpredictable. Unless you can make it damned clear you are competent and not set in your ways - an employer is probably not going to take a risk.

It's also something of a filter. Depending on the job, if you are getting flooded with applicants, you want to put in a minimum level of entry - think of it as the employer implying how difficult the job is.

In your case, assuming it's a web dev job you are after, simply apply - but put all your past work and hobby sites, etc, up front. With your qualifications at the bottom. An employer won't reject you on education alone. They will see your existing work, hopefully be impressed, then see a lack of qualifications. This will put you on par with those of higher qualification, but less demonstrable experience - which should land you an interview, where the real test begins.

Back