Great Albums

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
I was listening again to Maxwell's Embrya today, which really sounds amazing on my new amp and speakerset, but is also just a really amazing album. I don't think that I would be able to find anyone among my friends who wouldn't respond with 'What by Who?' ... He had a small hit here with one of the tracks (Luxury Cococure) but that's about it.
However, it is definitely one of those albums on which every song is about as good as the next. You can listen to it from start to finish and you'll never favour one particular track or dislike another.
This particular album falls into the category 'Romantic Soul' . It uses modern instruments and a very deep bass (it will test both ends of your setup's soundspectrum in fact).
Another album that has this quality (i.e. great from start to finish) is Faithless' Sunday 8 p.m.
I can and probably will think of a few more examples, but do any of you know similar examples? Would be great to hear - albums like these are sometimes immensely overlooked.

Opeth- Blackwater Park

Opeth- Still Life

Opeth- My Arms, Your Hearse

Bloodbath- The Fathomless Mastery

Bloodbath- Nightmares Made Flesh

Edge of Sanity- Crimson II

Insomnium- In The Halls of Awaiting

Insomnium- Above the Weeping World

Katatonia- The Great Cold Distance

Last edited by a moderator:
Swallow the Sun - Plague of Butterflies

Though it's EP or mini-album rather than full blown album.
The mainpoint is the title track, nearly 35 minutes long song Swallow the Sun made for an ballet that never came to be, so they released it themselves instead. The album also contains their Out of this Gloomy Light demo.

Yeah Yeah Yeah's - It's Blitz!

I love this album so far. A bit different from their other stuff but in an awesomely amazingly fantastical way.

The great albums I can listen to all the way through include

Leftfield - Leftism

Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants

DJ Shadow - ... Endtroducing

4 Hero - 2 Pages (1st disc) & Play With the Changes

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom

Natural Born Killers soundtrack

Journeys By DJ - Coldcut:70 Minutes of Madness

Enter Shikari - Take to the Skies

But for me the greatest album, one that I have & will probably continue to, endlessly play since it's release is

1 Giant Leap - 1 Giant Leap (Only the dvd though, the cd for me is a poor, pale reflection of the amazing experience the dvd represents.)

Back