Graphics Websites Consortium

I see couple of problems with getting this to work...

1.) how do you decide is some new site included if new site wants to join in?

2.) what punishements you have, if some site decides that they do not agree on some particular case and start reviewing against the rules?

2.1) If removing from the club is only available punishment, you find pretty soon that there's more sites outside the consortium than in. Perhaps even competitive consortium.

3.) to get this effective, you will need quite few sites. Also big sites where average joes visit. Like Anandtech and Tom's. Again, to get one of those join in, you most likely need make some of the rules as they want. Are you sure you are ready to do this?

4.) if you are going to remove the website from the name, then you are going to need some big magazines as well (because, this thing is getting way bigger.) to make it known and respected.

5.) you need to make the consortium well known in average joe point of view. Otherwise situation won't change because average joe won't know anything about your club of good reviewing. (as they do not know now either.) Also, to get respect, you need to accept join in sites that Average Joe keeps good and reliable. This means (again) big sites that aren't seen in good light here. If you start right way claiming that those sites aren't reviewing right, you won't get much effect.

there's just a few things that came to mind (while remembering why some big consortiums were collapsed during 20th century...) Idea is good, but needs (sorry digitalwanderer) much much much more than just a good name.

Nappe1 said:
I see couple of problems with getting this to work...

1.) how do you decide is some new site included if new site wants to join in?

2.) what punishements you have, if some site decides that they do not agree on some particular case and start reviewing against the rules?

2.1) If removing from the club is only available punishment, you find pretty soon that there's more sites outside the consortium than in. Perhaps even competitive consortium.

3.) to get this effective, you will need quite few sites. Also big sites where average joes visit. Like Anandtech and Tom's. Again, to get one of those join in, you most likely need make some of the rules as they want. Are you sure you are ready to do this?

4.) if you are going to remove the website from the name, then you are going to need some big magazines as well (because, this thing is getting way bigger.) to make it known and respected.

5.) you need to make the consortium well known in average joe point of view. Otherwise situation won't change because average joe won't know anything about your club of good reviewing. (as they do not know now either.) Also, to get respect, you need to accept join in sites that Average Joe keeps good and reliable. This means (again) big sites that aren't seen in good light here. If you start right way claiming that those sites aren't reviewing right, you won't get much effect.

there's just a few things that came to mind (while remembering why some big consortiums were collapsed during 20th century...) Idea is good, but needs (sorry digitalwanderer) much much much more than just a good name.

This is a relatively modest proposal --it has to be to have any chance to be accepted by a wide range of sites, many of which are very jealous of each other.

There are only two "rules" for a site to follow --they have to benchmark the title they picked under the consortium rules to benchmark in all of their graphics reviews, and they have to link the consortium's website from that section of their review. Probably I'd add a third --they have to apply the same tests to their consortium review title as they do to all the other titles they benchmark in their reviews, whatever that is. The idea isn't to attempt to force a site to do certain tests --that can never work in a voluntary association, which this is.

The only 'hammer' the consortium has is removing a site from the consortium's webpage, but that will only happen if the site quits including their agreed upon title in benchmark reviews of new cards, or quits linking the consortium's webpage from that section of their review.

As to criteria for joining, I addressed that upstream --keep it objective. This is NOT a proposal to create an Uber group that will Rule The Universe of Graphics Websites. I doubt that is desirable anyway, and sure as hell is impossible to do. It is just a proposal to make it easier for folks to find benchmarks from new cards of games/benchmarks outside "the usual suspects" of D3, HL2, 3DM03/05, Q3, etc.

Nothing, just annoys me how some people don't bother to read the entire thread, or at least skim it, before actually posting. Oh well, not that I would expect different from certain individuals, who's forums pasts I have researched, typical behaviour. But I'd rather not discuss it further.

Now as for something sortof relavent, but not really. Since I started the DNF Cult as seen at the 3DRealms forums, and with which on 3DRealms staff is a member, I could probably garner some sliver of community support for such an idea.

I think it's a good idea though. Great for the indie game developers, prolly should do some kind of partnership with the IDGA or something. I also have connections to the IEEE student chapter at the University of Waterloo, and will be heading a Computer Graphics & Physics club there come this spring. I don't know if that will be of any help, though. The IEEE has close ties to Microsoft though, but I don't know if you want them involved, they might try and MicroShaft you, lol. Anyways, there is going to be an upcoming graphics programming compeition at Waterloo, albeit in Direct3D :devilish:, not my favorite. Anyways, maybe if this gets serious by then, you could be "sponsors" somehow. I dunno.

Another idea, rather then it only being a game, perhaps the group could have a special benchmark for that year developed, with close ties to the demoscene prefereably, free and reasonably high quality. Something to go against 3DMark, but opensource/free/community based/etc. If this was the case, I would actually prefer a bi-annual/6 month release schedual. I know demosceners would be up for the task, that is their usualy schedual most of the time anyways. Plenty of places to do parterships/sponserships/tie-ins there with scene.org, pouet.net, ojuice.net, etc... They seem a frendly bunch from all regards.

DudeMiester said:
Now as for something sortof relavent, but not really. Since I started the DNF Cult as seen at the 3DRealms forums, and with which on 3DRealms staff is a member, I could probably garner some sliver of community support for such an idea.

I think it's a good idea though. Great for the indie game developers, prolly should do some kind of partnership with the IDGA or something.

Yeah, sure. I think it is clear that the big boys (Anand's, Toms, [H]) aren't going to pay a bit of attention to us unless this thing gets off the ground first. So maybe we try getting some of the second and third tier sites first.

I think it is a good enuf idea that if we settle on a name and can get at least 4 sites to sign-up that I'm willing to register a domain and foot the hosting for the first six months personally. And if it becomes a going concern enuf that either a sponsor or at least free hosting elsewhere show up I'll transfer the domain name. Y'all only have my word for that --but my word has been considered good in other venues. And I don't have an econimic interest or "dog in the fight" in the graphics world anyway.

The IDGA thing is interesting --maybe they'd be a sponsor and defray hosting. Tho I don't think we could guarantee all games selected by the sites would be from IDGA members.

I'm somewhat disappointed that B3D itself does not seem interested. I wonder if that is from a "no value" pov or a "will never happen, so why waste effort on it?" pov? I don't think Rev read more than enuf to get off a wisecrack and split.

So, who are the other likely second tier sites we might interest in this idea?

Back