graphics c, proc, lcd, or snare?

which to buy?

• lcd (17", 16ms, good reviews)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graphics card (6600gt or whatever is around $200)

• snare!

• Total voters

The549

Regular
Since the drum forum I'm on has been down for a while, and since I got a free 9800pro ez (long story short: it said it was a 256-bit since I'd never get the ez, but the stupid zshop shipped an ez, the zshop wouldn't take a return, so amazon refunded me $200. The zshop is dead now, and so I have the card in my possesion.)

So now I have to ask you for your unbiased opinion.

t-bird @ 2.11
512 3200 RAM
14" monitor from the early 90's/late 80's
9800 pro ez

This drumset. It'll be down by the time there's three replys, I'm sure. Oh, It's set up as a four piece, and I got a sweet double pedal.

The snare is a beauty. Not as beautiful as this snare, but very nice: http://www.blackpanthersnares.com/premium_steel.html

I don't know how you can live with a 14" from way back then. I'd actually get a 19" CRT (I'm not a fan of LCD's and their limitations, like fixed resolution, poor black levels, slow response (16ms isn't good enough), etc), but you may not have the room.

A new display is much more important than <2x game performance (basically one resolution step). A 19" CRT will have twice the real estate, and it'll help enormously even when you aren't gaming.

You NEED a better monitor. Otherwise, I'd go for the drumset - music will make you much happier and is much healthier than sitting in front of your PC the whole day ;)

I say, spend the money on your girlfriend. The fun you'll get out of a very happy girlfriend is something you still can't really experience with a PC. As far as i know.

You need a new monitor man. That thing is probably frying your eyes and your brain.

Have you got a kit already? Or just the double pedals... :LOL:

london-boy said:
I say, spend the money on your girlfriend. The fun you'll get out of a very happy girlfriend is something you still can't really experience with a PC. As far as i know.
I think it's ironic that you would say something like that on this type of forum....assuming a member here has a gf could be a stretch....but yeah, my lovely lover girl is at USC, 450 miles from here, so the money may have to go to airfare. When we are together, yes it is a nice experience. :D
MuFu said:
You need a new monitor man. That thing is probably frying your eyes and your brain.

Didn't you see the pic of my kit I put up?

Mintmaster said:
I'm not a fan of LCD's and their limitations, like fixed resolution, poor black levels, slow response (16ms isn't good enough), etc

the fixed resolution thing can get annoying because I have to run everything at that res but you forget about it pretty fast.

poor black levels are a problem. definitely get one with highest possible contrast ration. after having used one for so long I don't really notice anymore.

i dont know why you think 16ms isnt a good enough response. have you used one with 16ms? I'm using a 32ms LCD and I have absolutely no problems with it.

now let's not forget the things that LCD's have above CRT's-

• at their native resolution an LCD is MUCH sharper than a CRT. Because of the way CRT's are designed, they will never be able to match the sharpness of an LCD.

they dont flash. even at 120hz refresh a CRT's flashing is noticeable. they really bother my eyes, LCD's don't flash.

small, portable, truely flat, much more cosmetic

dvi

The549 said:
MuFu said:

Didn't you see the pic of my kit I put up?

Yeah but between your post and _xxx_'s I lost the plot. :LOL:

They make nice snares, but I think I'd go for the monitor.

Back