Graphical effects rarely seen this gen that you expect/hope become standard next-gen

There isn't a good reason I can see to not use SSDO over regular SSAO. It hardly costs more and looks much better IMO.

Also SSAO/DO is used in conjunction with other indirect lighting methods in most implementations I've seen. Crysis 2, BF3, Far Cry 3 etc. This seems to be a smart approach.

Better skin shaders for sure. I can has in Mass Effect 4 ?

Smart tessellation. By that I mean having the tessellator add usefull detail instead of millions of invisible performance raping triangles.

Better shadow maps. Not just higher resolution, but better filtering e.g. Crysis 2 DX11 with shadows getting softer with distance from the occluder.

Maybe we can at least get some more advanced looking hair in, let's say, a one on one fighting game perhaps?

Something like the Geforce 6 series Nalu tech demo, or at least the convincing looking short hair from the Dawn/Dusk demo. Both are pretty damn ancient (2003 and 2004) at this point, and they still look fantastic.

04.jpg

dawn_640.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

The demo of what's her face for the 8000 series was pretty cool.

For any of them, I'm sure Nvidia set aside a huge budget for the hair

What are the advantages of real time GI over baked ?
Is there any real advantage of using real time in games without day/night cycle,destruction etc. ?
I assume that real time is easier and faster for developers but is there something else ?
The requirement for mostly static world limits creativity. Developers have always wanted to create more dynamic environments (more physically driven world), but technology has so far been a limiting factor. Baked lightmaps take lots of storage space, and downloaded games are getting more popular every year. Too big download size limits the potential customer base.

User created content also requires fully dynamic lighting. If user can change everything in the game world, you can basically bake nothing offline. User created content is usually shared though servers (for example we have Track Central in Trials Evolution), so the content must be small (hundreds of megabytes of baked lightmaps cannot be used in every level - that would kill the servers if you have hundreds of thousand active concurrent users). User created content has also been getting more popular in recent games, and I expect that trend to continue. If you have a proper level editor, you need fully dynamic lighting.

It'd be nice if particle overdraw was minimized in next gen games. It's very annoying playing something like Halo Reach and having the game slow down when there's smoke in your face, or a bunch of explosions going off.

Order independent transparency.
Proper lighting and shadowing of transparent/translucent surfaces and volumetrics. (perhaps trough tiled forward rendering?)

Ambient lighting with specular.
Ambient occlusion with directional component. (no ssao or variants)

Vector displacement mapping. (allows overhangs and sharp edges.)

Proper hard surface handling on character animations (no morphing armors, piece to piece physics.)
Flesh/muscle simulations on characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back