Graphical effects rarely seen this gen that you expect/hope become standard next-gen

Prismatic water and caustics, as seen in Crysis on Very High. I can't think of any other engine that's doing that, and it's a subtle touch that adds a lot, IMO.

Looks like this is gonna be a crysis, U2 and KZ2 thread. Those are the game I think really did something impressive recently

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start with muzzleflash shadows. Examples of its use this gen are:
Yes pointlight shadows are nice
but even today its far from standard in 90+% of games

eg apart from killzone2 + crysis (pc) what other console titles have it?

I expect ambient occlusion to be standard in the next gen. Hopefully something a little more robust than what we see today, like SSDO. And hopefully something even better than that (not in screen space :smile:).

I'll just chime in and say all S.T.A.L.K.E.R games have muzzleflash shadows. For RTS you have Company of Heroes in DX10.

But effect yes. Soft glow dynamic godrays. And I dont mean the static type but dynamic ones like in CE3 showcase, Risen, Stalker games, Crysis etc. Adds a nice beauty. Of course this with dynamic time of day would be good.

Also more TSAA?

Also cant go wrong with dynamic 'soft flesh' vegetation either. Kinda feed up with most multiplatform games having these solid non collision type static vegetation..

Rain! Yes shaders to display 'wet surface pouring animaton' dynamic or predefined. Dripping water ,wet surfaces/objects.

I want to see realtime GI become a standard feature. Obviously it's not gonna be close to perfect but something in the direction of where CE3 is going or what STALKER tried and failed at (glitchy as hell, runs like shit but when it worked provided some great looking radiosity). And I for one would like to see some much better AO and indirect shadowing.

Also getting rid of current and further aliasing problems.

EDIT: Add better quality shadows to that list as well. And if it's possible make the way they cast dynamic (i.e. instead of predefined values like flashlights cast harder shadows and all shadows cast from the sun are softer) and realistically (e.g. closer to surface casting shadow is harder, softer farther lightsource gets). Plus shadows appearing correctly from what type size/shape light created them.

If all this isn't too difficult that is!:LOL:

Some sort of acceptable IQ standards perhaps? A game @ 720p w/ 8xaf/4xmsaa and some sort of transparency AA shouldn't be the sacred cow, it should be the bare minimum standard. At a push you can drop down to 2 multisamples and ditch the transparency AA but please, don't ever release any more games with less than 8x anisotropic filtering next generation, it creates the most seriously ugly effect and totally undoes all the work spent crafting half decent looking textures. Shitty texture filtering is absolutely the single worst sin of today's console titles, moreso than low rendering resolutions and poor AA support imo.

No more v-sync problems thankyou very much. Always at least give me the option to enforce vertical sync (á la Bioshock) and make use of triple buffering more often so i don't have to experience a drop in framerate to go with it.

Much more sophisticated LOD schemes. I've got great hope for this actually, dynamic tesselation can pretty much solve this issue for geometary at least and I'm sure there's some smart methods that can be used for shadows and the like. LOD pops are ugly and can totally ruin the visuals in a game, make it seamless or cut back on how much your engine is pushing, I don't want to see any ugly pops next generation.

Better shadow resolutions and filtering. Dynamic shadows in most console titles can look seriously ugly at times, with lots of aliasing and low resolution artefacts, but in many of the decent PC ports of these games a few config tweaks/settings can get them looking lovely and detailed yet soft, without much of a performance hit. So with better hardware and more memory this shouldn't be too difficult.

Experimental AA modes. Standard MSAA just doesn't cut it in a modern game engine as a lot more than just polygon edges can cause aliasing, dealing with this aliasing in a more efficient manner than brute force supersampling needs to be a priority for next generation as aliasing artefacts are going to become more striking as overall fidelity reaches new standards. Oh, and no, a blanket blur filter is not the solution, get that shit out my games, thanks. :devilish:

Dunno how much of a graphical feature this is.

But the death to low res repeated textures ?

Watching my friend play uncharted 2 I csan't help but see all those low res textures poping out like and ruining the graphics of what is mostly a beautiful game.

To be fair how many games recently released have had no AA? The main offenders just seem to be UE3 PS3 titles (now).

Agreed about AF, even Uncharted 2 is somewhat lacking in this department.

I'd like some form of dynamic water ripples/waves to be standard, as seen in Halo 3 and Resistance 2 (though maybe looking a little less like jelly). Especially when water is a big part of the game, sprite-based splashes just aren't going to cut it. I hope Bioshock 2 (consoles) manages to pull some form of ripples off. At the minimum I'd like normal map based ripples like what I think Uncharted uses, but that isn't really suitable for waves.

Aye nice realistic 2D water with deformation. To get a taste of it just watch PhysX GPU accelerated 3D water with complex physics in Cryostasis (not the drops but the water filled compartments). That stuff is sick, off the chart. :oops:

You get the same in the game with patch and only with GPU PhysX. Would be ncie to see this in large scale.

To be fair how many games recently released have had no AA? The main offenders just seem to be UE3 PS3 titles (now).

Agreed about AF, even Uncharted 2 is somewhat lacking in this department.

I'd like some form of dynamic water ripples/waves to be standard, as seen in Halo 3 and Resistance 2 (though maybe looking a little less like jelly). Especially when water is a big part of the game, sprite-based splashes just aren't going to cut it. I hope Bioshock 2 (consoles) manages to pull some form of ripples off. At the minimum I'd like normal map based ripples like what I think Uncharted uses, but that isn't really suitable for waves.

Yeah, the water in R2 is way ahead of most and needs to be standard.

Yeah, the water in R2 is way ahead of most and needs to be standard.

It doesn't have proper reflections, and when you shoot at it, it's like throwing pebbles into the water, the fluid dynamics is kind of cool though.

The lighting and Water in Halo 3 look really damn good which is pretty impressive, considering that Halo 3's engine still has its roots from the original xbox hardware.I can only imagine how graphically impressive Halo Reach is going to be though...I have a feeling that Bungie is going to blow us away with a graphically stunning game.We all know that the company is easily capable of doing such a thing and I can't wait to see more of the game at GDC 2010 and at a E3.

Sub-surface scattering hack used in Crysis and Uncharted 2 really give you a much more natural feel and accurate representation of materials than the rest.
Screenspace Global Illumination or Dynamic Radiosity from CE3? Awesome addition to the whole scheme of lighting effects as long as the engine doesn't sacrifice too much of other things.
Hit response animation, I mean wow, every shooter should have that feature from now on, it's adding so much more fun and feedback from shooting.
GOWIII level bullshot worthy IQ

Back