Got a new HD

Simon F said:
Hope you have more luck with it than I did with the Maxtor I bought :cry:

Maxtor should die a VERY painful death. :devilish:

I already mentioned it in a few topics, I lost three(!) of them within last three years. I've been using WD and Samsung since and live much better with them.

_xxx_ said:
Maxtor should die a VERY painful death. :devilish:

I already mentioned it in a few topics, I lost three(!) of them within last three years. I've been using WD and Samsung since and live much better with them.

I have 19 Maxtor 300gb drives in my server and never had any problems with them. Except for one time last summer when I closed the door to the closet where the server is and the ambient temperature built up to 38 degrees celcius inside there. 2 drives died because of the heat but I doubt a drive from any other manufacturer could handle that :)

repi said:
I have 19 Maxtor 300gb drives in my server and never had any problems with them. Except for one time last summer when I closed the door to the closet where the server is and the ambient temperature built up to 38 degrees celcius inside there. 2 drives died because of the heat but I doubt a drive from any other manufacturer could handle that :)

A simple feature like shutdown in case of overheating would do the trick, don't you think? ;)

EDIT: especially since most electronics are usually specified to operate up to 80°C minimum

ive had seagate's, WD and maxtor harddrives in a server which got to hot. WD one did shut down, though that was permantly :) thankfully other ones survived

also have 2 maxtors in my main com, old 120gb and a new 250gb one - they both work fine.

infact, only ever lost one maxtor and that was a 60gb (quite old as you can see) and that was heavily used, 24/7 so i'd say maxtor a pretty good

though ooks like it will be seagate next time for me

_xxx_ said:
A simple feature like shutdown in case of overheating would do the trick, don't you think? ;)
Problem is, not all HDDs have temperature diodes, and even though most drives made the last couple years do, the OS doesn't sample them so it doesn't matter.

especially since most electronics are usually specified to operate up to 80°C minimum
HDDs aren't electronics tho, and most electronics isn't specced to do 80C. If you check the manual of various stuff, it's more like 55C actually.

The service life of a HDD is inversely proportional to the temp it runs at, and diminishes FAST as the degrees goes up. Even 60C would be very very bad for a HDD for any kind of extended period of time. 80C even more so, hell, it might well be fatal.

Back