Google Chrome

At last, I can open N tabs, without having the whole browser crashing due to one rogue flash/javascript website.
Now, I only need some adblock, because my eyes are not used anymore to skip ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
At last, I can open N tabs, without having the whole browser crashing due to one rogue flash/javascript website.
Now, I only need some adblock, because my eys are not used anymore to skip ads.

Yeah, I tend to keep a lot of tabs open and I've had the same problem. Hopefully it will be a thing of the past.

First thing I'm missing is a quick drop-down of recent sites that I've visited. I keep pressing the triangle button that's basically just a 'Go'. Right now they made it easier to add a favorite than to access a favorite, which is a mistake.

Second thing, but maybe I haven't found it yet, is being able to pose as Internet Explorer - I need that for a (stupid, ridiculous but I have to write my time on it) site for work. That's it though. Stuff like gametrailers worked straight away, even when it doesn't properly in some other browsers sometimes.

EDIT: also, no Refresh under right-click

Hey, did you notice that you can compare memory use directly with other browsers, in the About Memory page? I just notice that Opera and IE7 are listed alongside Chrome in the top. Opera behaves best so far, but I don't have firefox on this machine, nor Safari.

Lots of viable choices for webbrowsing these days. Good stuff!

I like how smooth it is (very appropriate name).

Unfortunately it appears to have issues when resizing page contents (control + for enlarge, as in firefox) and since my TV is my monitor, it's a no-go for me until they fix that.

First thing I'm missing is a quick drop-down of recent sites that I've visited. I keep pressing the triangle button that's basically just a 'Go'. Right now they made it easier to add a favorite than to access a favorite, which is a mistake.

Second thing, but maybe I haven't found it yet, is being able to pose as Internet Explorer - I need that for a (stupid, ridiculous but I have to write my time on it) site for work. That's it though. Stuff like gametrailers worked straight away, even when it doesn't properly in some other browsers sometimes.

EDIT: also, no Refresh under right-click

Hey, did you notice that you can compare memory use directly with other browsers, in the About Memory page? I just notice that Opera and IE7 are listed alongside Chrome in the top. Opera behaves best so far, but I don't have firefox on this machine, nor Safari.

Lots of viable choices for webbrowsing these days. Good stuff!

History is control-H or under the wrench drop down. Right click refresh would be nice, but there is the little swirl at the top. One thing I found weird was you have to enable the 'Home' button on the URL toolbar, which is disabled by default.

I like my RSS feeds and had been using the RSS reader built into Flock. I switched over to Google Reader and just leave the tab open. Works well enough and now I'll have my RSS reading in sync at home and work.

So far so good.

Eurogamer's heavy use of flash seems to bring it to its knees. When that happens, other tabs also aren't responsive. So there's some limits to it's process management there. Maybe it's Flash plugin related.

I've seen flash (ads on the inquirer specifically) bring Firefox to its knees recently as well.

I hate flash ads. So intrusive.

I've seen flash (ads on the inquirer specifically) bring Firefox to its knees recently as well.

I hate flash ads. So intrusive.

Yep. That's why adblock was invented. Sometimes I feel bad because I know sites need the money. Other times I load a site and all I see is flashing animations and a myriad of colours swarming a tiny and nearly illegible amount of information; That's when I get pissed.

Yep. That's why adblock was invented. Sometimes I feel bad because I know sites need the money. Other times I load a site and all I see is flashing animations and a myriad of colours swarming a tiny and nearly illegible amount of information; That's when I get pissed.

I can't remember the last time adblock worked for me. Then again, I haven't tried with FF 3.x...

On a similar subject - has anyone else run into trouble browsing TweakTown with FF lately? Often times when visiting their site I'll be redirected to a page stating "you are using a browser with an ad blocking extension/plug-in, please disable and come back" (paraphrased). I'm not even using an ad blocker... Big thumbs down for that move.

I can't remember the last time adblock worked for me. Then again, I haven't tried with FF 3.x...

I use that filterset G updater extension and I rarely see any ads. Works great. My main reason for using adblock was I seemed to get a lot less spyware when I had ads disabled. Not sure if it's as much of an issue anymore. Guess we'll see since I can't block ads in Chrome.

Eh.

Ok, 1 tab opened. I open another tab, head over to Youtube and watch some video. Chrome hangs about half way through the video and the whole browser, (including the other tab that supposedly has a process of its own), is unresponsive. About 2 Minutes later I get a pop-up telling me that the Shockwave Flash plug-in crashed.

Ok, so I reload the Youtube page and guess what? Flash crashes again and the whole browser locks up again.

So not only did I have a crash that I have never, ever, seen before but the browser doesn't do what it has been pimped up to do. It's a beta, alright, but that's still kind of pathetic.

I'm loving the speed, it's amazingly quick in nearly all instances compared to other browsers I've tried (besides Flash ad heavy websites, which IE handles better in my experience). The UI is taking a bit to get used to such as the context menu but that's to be expected. I really like the Tabs being up top as well and it certainly integrates into Vista nicely.

Eh.

Ok, 1 tab opened. I open another tab, head over to Youtube and watch some video. Chrome hangs about half way through the video and the whole browser, (including the other tab that supposedly has a process of its own), is unresponsive. About 2 Minutes later I get a pop-up telling me that the Shockwave Flash plug-in crashed.

Ok, so I reload the Youtube page and guess what? Flash crashes again and the whole browser locks up again.

So not only did I have a crash that I have never, ever, seen before but the browser doesn't do what it has been pimped up to do. It's a beta, alright, but that's still kind of pathetic.

I haven't had any crashes yet, but I opened up youtube and played vids simultaneously in two separate tabs. There are PIDs for each youtube page, but only one PID for flash. It's obvious that it would be a waste of memory to have to full flash processes running, so there is only one flash process. So is it an issue of the flash process being single-threaded for now, or is there a definitely a drawback with plugins and the advertised stability?

I ran the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark on my work PC. Running an AMD Athlon 3200+ with 2GB RAM on Win XP SP2.

And here are my scores:
Running on a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM and Vista

Google Chrome (1583)
2153.0ms +/- 5.4% (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspid...6],"string-validate-input":[94,85,96,85,144]})
IE7 (7.0.6001.18000)
35832.4ms +/- 5.8% (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspid...-validate-input":[8999,9026,9403,10076,9887]})
FF 3.0.1
3762.6ms +/- 6.3% (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspid...string-validate-input":[175,125,108,133,123]})
Opera 9.52
5554.8ms +/- 3.2% (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspid...string-validate-input":[135,124,154,126,160]})

I haven't had any crashes yet, but I opened up youtube and played vids simultaneously in two separate tabs. There are PIDs for each youtube page, but only one PID for flash. It's obvious that it would be a waste of memory to have to full flash processes running, so there is only one flash process. So is it an issue of the flash process being single-threaded for now, or is there a definitely a drawback with plugins and the advertised stability?

I only had two tabs open, only the Youtube one used Flash. Flash crashes (never seen that happen before) and the whole browser locks up until it kills the Flash process or whatever - even non-Flash tabs are unusable. It acts like any every other browser.

Trying to watch a video with the Windows Media Player plug-in is painful - it locks up Chrome ever few seconds for about 20 seconds. And it makes the browser dog-slow.

Trying to scroll while a HD flash video plays on gametrailers.com freezes the browser for up to 20 seconds and sometimes yields a nice "website does not respond" (or somesuch, didn't really pay attention) message.

I'm on my notebook (1.6 GHz intel and 1GB RAM), so it's not exactly high-end hardware but compared to Opera, Chrome runs like dogshit. It's still better than Firefox 3 though, which is utterly unusable on my notebook (5000-8000 GDI objects within 45 minutes, 900 MB memory usage - even when just sitting there with a few tabs opened).

Oh, and since Google ripped off Opera's Speed Dial, they could at least have given it the same functionality instead of making it some useless "most visited" gimmick.

I don't know what to tell you other than your system sounds screwed up in general. I've never heard of Firefox reaching 900MB. That's absolutely insane. Also, Flash crashes rather often in my experience and is the main reason Firefox crashes.

FF2 works perfectly, Opera works perfectly, IE works perfectly. FF3 leaks like a Russian pipeline. Fucked up system? I think not. Chrome works well, too, if it wasn't for the Flash crashes and the fact that it doesn't do what it's advertised to do (i.e. one tab crashing/hanging is supposed to leave the other tabs unaffected).

Back